ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Cordless Rivet Gun recommendations ?

We have a job that requires us to attach around fifty 4'x8' aluminum panels to an aluminum factory wall 80' up in the air.

Has anyone worked with cordless pop-rivet guns ?

I would prefer Dewalt 20 volt since we have so many batteries ready to go, but Google only shows $1,700 rivet guns ( what the hell is that about ? )

On the other hand, I see Milwaukee cordless rivet guns for $190 ( but I have no other Milwaukee cordless tools or batteries ).

Love to hear from anyone who has worked with any brand they do or, don't recommend.

Thanks,

Jim

• Board Patron

It's a small sign world!  This just came up about an hour ago for me as well.  I'm in the same boat though mine would be step ladder heights and much smaller signs.   A friend of mine did recommend the Milwaukee unit - all of his cordless stuff is M brand.   Amazon has a bunch of good reviews on it too.  Like you I would need a battery/charger as well. 

Rocco

• Board Patron

We bought a 12 volt Milwaukee about three months ago.  So far everyone loves it.  Its pretty compact but feels very hefty and robust.  We have pulled alot of 1/8" rivets (aluminum and steel) and also 3/16" without any hiccups.  We have a couple batteries but haven't used it enough in one sitting to have to swap to the 2nd.  Occasionally it leaves the end of the mandrel sticking out of the tip and you have to press it on something to flush it out in order to stick it onto the next rivet but for how well it works that is easy to deal with.

Thanks - that helps me - I was open to buying the 18 volt Milwaukee system, but the rivet gun is so expensive ( probably just because it's new ) - I can see getting the 12 volt even if the rivet gun is the only tool I ever get in Milwaukee cordless.

I'll see if there are a few more responses and pull the trigger later this week.

Appreciate your input,

Jim

• Board Patron

I double checked with my buddy and he actually doesn't have the rivet gun but just was recommending Milwaukee tools in general.  He's been bugging me for years to switch over.  If I did't already have too many Dewalt "toys" I'd consider switching to M.   

We have had 1 in the shop for about 1 yr now and have use run through a couple big boxes of 1/8 rivets thru it. Does get jammed up once in a while, but its a easy tool to clear out a jam. Get the bigger batteries.

The best of both worlds would be to use battery adapters. They are available in almost any combination, to allow you to use your Dewalt batteries (and chargers) with any other gun with the same voltage.

• !llumenati

All tools are great until they break.  I have every tool brand that is made
Everyone of employees and  friends swear by and defend the brands they use 
It is just a matter of choice

DeWalt is the most popular and available almost everywhere.

Thanks Paul, I went with the 12 volt Milwaukee - cordless rivet tools apparently are a new thing, so the 18 volt costs $900 right now and just came out, whereas the 18 volt has a few years of good reviews for just $190 ( bare tool ).

I'll give everyone a review after a few weeks of use.

Jim

• 1 month later...

Milwaukee Cordless ( 12 volt ) Rivet Guns are GREAT !

Sorry not to get back to this sooner -  I said I would share my experience after buying two 12 volt cordless Milwaukee rivet guns ( 1 new - 1 used ) ...... they worked perfectly - could not ask for better.

We needed to rivet some fifty 4' x 10' painted aluminum sheets 90 ft high on an aluminum structure ( called a "Bag House" ) at a steel mill, and ( thanks to good weather in February ) we completed install in 5 days - guns never jammed - batteries lasted all day - SEE PHOTOS OF 50 FT. WIDE US FLAG

628610063_50FTUSFLAGINSTALL-JIMSIGNSAVENELNJ.JPG

1695369227_50FTUSFLAGINSTALL2-JIMSIGNSAVENELNJ.JPG

974429854_50FTUSFLAGINSHOP-JIMSIGNSAVENELNJ.JPG

Great job Jim looks great.

I am not sure which one of them makes me prouder to look at,your American and POW flags or the fact that a steel mill is still operating in America. If I am ever in that area I will drive by to see it.

Mike

Thanks - I'm not sure what motivated customer, but they first brought this up last Summer as Joe Biden was surrendering Afghanistan.

The CMC Steel re-bar plant is in Sayreville, NJ - unfortunately, due to their location ( off of edge of town ) by the Raritan River - you pretty much need to be inside their plant to see the flags.

Certainley a job we were all thankful to be called upon to do.

Jim