ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Vacation: What Is Your Idea Of A Good One?

B.O.P.

I was just wondering what everyone's idea is of a good vacation. I never seem to get the one I want because of "spouse influence". I have my own ideas on the topic, but I'll let someone else go first :P

Well realistically it spending 5 days in Monterey for the MOTO GP races..

However I would love to go to Italy with my wife and stay with her family (and go to a GP race there) but that isn't going happen for a while!

It has been so long since I have had a real vacation I wouldnt know what one is. To be honest my time in SC was the best vacation I have had in some time. Even with that I didnt care to sit and relax to long.

I think my ideal vacation would be just like my honey moon. We went from Illinois to the Corpus Christie back to illinois in a two week period. But we stopped in Memphis, New Orleans, San Antonio, St. Louis and a few other spots. Thats my style though, a hit and run sort of guy.

TEastin

Any "good" vacation must consist of sun and palm tress, ideally sand and/or scuba/snorkelling.

It's all about relaxation and decompression - forgetting the world - and sticking your head under water does the trick every time.

I've been very fortunate over the past few years and have taken my share of vacations. I've been to the UK 3 or 4 times in the past couple of years. It helps to have family and friends in Wales to stay with.

I went to Hawaii for the first time a couple of months ago, that was great. My Dad lives down in Baja so I can always go down to his place on the beach to do some fishing and surfing. And then during the winter I go snowboarding about 3-4 times a month at the local mountains and usually a trip or two to mammoth or Tahoe. Last but not least, I live in San Diego. It's like a vacation everyday.

-Marek

Last but not least, I live in San Diego. It's like a vacation everyday.

-Marek

Yeah, I spent 12 weeks vacation in San Diego in '66, courtesy of the USMC. Every day was a blast!

The last 2 or 3 years, my vacation plans have been thwarted by a number of different things. But if I ever get to go on another vacation, I'll be traveling SE to SC and FLA. I have old Marine buddies I haven't seen for almost 40 years, and I think there's a neon guy down there I've been longing to visit. No surfing, diving, snorkeling, etc. Just lazing around, drinking beer. Basic R&R.

Unlike Marek, I have no roots there, but I would love to spend a couple weeks in Wales. It's been a dream for many years. The problem with that is I probably wouldn't be allowed on the plane. I just can't see myself making it past security without getting into trouble.

joemomma

I do it in the transformer box.

1946-2008

yep, palm trees, aqua waters, snorkeling, surfing, hiking. Beer, half naked women walking around. Cancun, new zealand or hawaii is calling me

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

I guess I'm the dud in the bunch. To start with, I hate to travel for various reasons (mostly medical). I do it when I have to. Consequently, when my wife and I go on "vacation" I am usually stressed the whole time and am more tired when I get back than before I left. So a good vacation for me is to kick back at home. Sleep until I feel like getting up, don't answer the phone, don't look at emails, don't play fireman for customers... yada, yada, yada. Basically just be a lazy ass without a care in the world for a few days. But I never seem to get my idea of a "vacation" :crazy:

Oh yeah, and I'm still waiting for that Wartman character to roll through here. I would leave the house and go to the local watering hole for that!

Unlike Marek, I have no roots there, but I would love to spend a couple weeks in Wales. It's been a dream for many years. The problem with that is I probably wouldn't be allowed on the plane. I just can't see myself making it past security without getting into trouble.

Let me know if you ever plan on going, I might be able to set you up with some local tour guides.

-Marek

• !llumenati

I'd have to say it would be sitting on a house boat for a week on the St. Lawrence river in the Thousand Islands. No cell service. I used to do it twice every year untill I got married.

GOOD things happen for a reason......

I'd have to say it would be sitting on a house boat for a week on the St. Lawrence river in the Thousand Islands. No cell service. I used to do it twice every year untill I got married.

No doubt with a fishin' pole hangin' over the side :wind45:

What does being married have to do with taking your favorite vacation? Oh, wait a minute... that's why I can't take mine! Never mind... :whistling:

Generally my vacation is limited so I spend most of it traveling up here. Every other year I have to get back in touch with the rest of the world and end up in Seattle or the Midwest(Chcago w/the Fam). I miss So Cal. but I think my Boss did it right this year took a sail ship cruize throught the Virgin Islands. 10 days on a sail boat woud be th eway to go.

Our last vacation:

Flew over to San Diego in the morning and walked around the zoo all day. Back to the airport that night and flew to Vegas. Got a room and ran around Vegas all night and day. Gambled away one whole dollar. Back to the airport that night. Watched the 4th of July fireworks from the upper deck of the airport parking lot. Got on the plane and flew home.

We power vacation.

A sailing cruise around the islands would be great!

Our last vacation:

Flew over to San Diego in the morning and walked around the zoo all day. Back to the airport that night and flew to Vegas. Got a room and ran around Vegas all night and day. Gambled away one whole dollar. Back to the airport that night. Watched the 4th of July fireworks from the upper deck of the airport parking lot. Got on the plane and flew home

I go to Vegas twice a year, usually (trade shows and such) and always add an extra day for a little fun. Thing is, Vegas requires so much walking and/or drinking and/or gambling and/or eating that it doesn't give you a whole lot of relaxation. That place is good for a long weekend at most, then enough is enough - even for a sign and lighting person!

We went up north for a family gathering - 22 hours north - and it was quite remote (Sean woulda loved the fishing) but with a collection of the family and all the kids - plus driving each way with my mother in the back seat - that wasn't much of a true holiday either.

Mark: Staying at home and relaxing - regardless of how little work you do - doesn't really count as a vacation to most people. "Time off" is one thing, but a "vacation" or "holiday" generally entails some travel to see/do something you can't do at home, or not to the same extent (ie: get away from the phone, family, etc).

Mark: Staying at home and relaxing - regardless of how little work you do - doesn't really count as a vacation to most people. "Time off" is one thing, but a "vacation" or "holiday" generally entails some travel to see/do something you can't do at home, or not to the same extent (ie: get away from the phone, family, etc).

Vacation: n. 1. A period of time devoted to pleasure, rest, or relaxation. 2. a. A holiday. b. A fixed period of holidays, esp. one during which a school, court, or business suspends activities; recess.

By definition, I believe staying at home relaxing constitutes a "vacation" much more so than traveling for 22 hours with your mother in the back seat of the car, unless of course you consider that as a "pleasure" or "rest" or "relaxing" :P:laughing1:

Vacation: n. 1. A period of time devoted to pleasure, rest, or relaxation. 2. a. A holiday. b. A fixed period of holidays, esp. one during which a school, court, or business suspends activities; recess.

By definition, I believe staying at home relaxing constitutes a "vacation" much more so than traveling for 22 hours with your mother in the back seat of the car, unless of course you consider that as a "pleasure" or "rest" or "relaxing" :P:laughing1:

I wasn't speaking in dictionary terms, of course - and I did explain that the 22 hour drive thing was anything but restful or relaxing. You posed a question asking what most people thought was a good vacation and "most people", despite dictionary definitions, don't equatre time off with "vacations" which generally carries the connotation that some travel is required. Just trying to explain why you weren't getting the replies you were after, which was probably the wording of the question and that most readers would assume the other "dictionary" definitions:

4. an act or instance of vacating. –verb (used without object)

5. to take or have a vacation: to vacation in the Caribbean.

:wind45:

Just trying to explain why you weren't getting the replies you were after, which was probably the wording of the question and that most readers would assume the other "dictionary" definitions:

4. an act or instance of vacating. –verb (used without object)

5. to take or have a vacation: to vacation in the Caribbean.

:wind45:

It never ceases to amaze me... Well, never mind. I promised Erik I wouldn't go there where you are concerned - as easy as it may be.

Btw, I got the responses I was expecting. Actually, more than I was expecting. But considering you apparently have the ability to read my mind I guess you already knew that...

Your additional "dictionary" definitions are merely redundancies and/or synonyms of the primary ones, which is why I didn't bother including them.