ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

How to estimate vinyl left on a roll

Does anyone know the how to estimate the amount of vinyl left on a roll? You measure the thickness of the vinyl and multiply it by a number. I just don't know that number. Our vinyl lady was asking me so I thought I would check here. No one has replied at SignWeb

Nevermind, I figured it out. If there is 600 sq ft on a 48" roll that is 1" thick, then just multiply the thickness by 600. If it is 1/2" thick then 300 sq ft is left. if it is 3/8" thick then there is 225 feet left, etc. Or you can do it by linear feet.

Nevermind, I figured it out. If there is 600 sq ft on a 48" roll that is 1" thick, then just multiply the thickness by 600. If it is 1/2" thick then 300 sq ft is left. if it is 3/8" thick then there is 225 feet left, etc. Or you can do it by linear feet.

Unfortunately, that method will not give you very accurate results. I'm not a vinyl guy so I don't know roll sizes. But for general discussion, if a new roll is 6" in diameter the circumference would be almost 19" (18.84"). That would be the linear length of the vinyl if you unrolled it one diameter. If the roll was smaller, say 4" in diameter the circumference would be ~12.5". So unrolling it one diameter would give you 12.5" of length. In other words, measuring the thickness of the remaining vinyl to estimate remaining material would not be a linear calculation.

I don't know if there is a formula for what you are looking for, but if there is it would also be dependant on at least the thickness of the vinyl as well.

• !llumenati

Not to argue, and not to say that there isn't a guess type formula----but I doubt the one you state is it. Starting off with a new roll, taking a measurement, and then assuming the usage is a linear number based on the thickness totally negates the circumference of the roll which definitely gets smaller, thus taking more wraps to equal the footage. That would be way to easy.

But, I've been known to be wrong before.

gn

• !llumenati
Unfortunately, that method will not give you very accurate results. I'm not a vinyl guy so I don't know roll sizes. But for general discussion, if a new roll is 6" in diameter the circumference would be almost 19" (18.84"). That would be the linear length of the vinyl if you unrolled it one diameter. If the roll was smaller, say 4" in diameter the circumference would be ~12.5". So unrolling it one diameter would give you 12.5" of length. In other words, measuring the thickness of the remaining vinyl to estimate remaining material would not be a linear calculation.

I don't know if there is a formula for what you are looking for, but if there is it would also be dependant on at least the thickness of the vinyl as well.

Damn, Mark---you beat me. That'll teach me to take a coffee break---

gn

My two cents... I don't know about any type of fancy algebraic equation to figure it out but I have found it handy to create a easy measuring guage. Take a full 50 yard roll and measure the diameter, unroll it at logical increments (10', 20', 20' etc) and measure the diameter at each interval. Then you can use 1/8" clear acrylic, D/S tape it to a trimmed core end and use vinyl to create multiple increasing circle sizes radiating out from the core that correctly gauge the remaining material. Though it takes a bit of time up front it is very useful and quick to gauge a roll after you have your template done.

You have one guy hold the roll and the other guy takes a walk....

or you can put the vinyl in a new cutter and run out the roll and it will tell you how many inches are left.

or you could just guess...

after some time you just kind of know how much is left.

• !llumenati
You have one guy hold the roll and the other guy takes a walk....

or you can put the vinyl in a new cutter and run out the roll and it will tell you how many inches are left.

or you could just guess...

after some time you just kind of know how much is left.

My first response was similar--------------when you run out, you know you need more. And that wouldn't have answered the question

But-------------I then considered that that response MIGHT be considered caustic, and snide.

So, then I set out to figure out the formula--------------and said to hell with it.

gn

LOR = -[Q (x) +2y1R (x)] - R(x) = -(-1-4)z-1 = -3zr -1.

Gary, I thought for sure you knew this one.

joemomma

I do it in the transformer box.

1946-2008