ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

BE YOUR OWN BOSS

• Board Patron

WAS JUST WONDERING HOW MANY OUT THERE ARE OWNERS OF THERE OWN BUSINESS & IF YOU EVER WORKED FOR ANOTHER BEFORE STARTING YOUR OWN & WHAT WAS THE DETERMINING FACTOR THAT DROVE YOU TO START YOUR OWN BUSINESS ?

Odd as it is, I worked for a guy initially who wanted me to open my own after my employment with him had ended.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

I own because when I was young I though making stickers for my motorcycle was cool!

11 Years later I'm still in the sign business.

• Board Patron

YEA IM IN A SITUATION NOW AND HAVE BEEN FOR THE LAST 16 YEARS CALLED WORKING FOR THE FAMILY BUSINESS (SON IN LAW) & IT CAN GET QUITE STRESSFULL TO SAY THE LEAST IN THIS TYPE OF SITUATION & I AM GETTING TO THE POINT AS TO WHERE I WANT MORE & THERE IS ALOT MORE TO BE HAD IN MY AREA.IM MAINLY INTERESTED IN THE SERVICE / MAINTANCE AREA OF THE SIGN INDUSTRY.THE GROWTH IN THIS AREA HAS BEEN TREMENDOUS & IS PERDICTED TO CONTINUE FOR THE NEXT 12-15 YEARS & WAS JUST TOYING AROUND WITH THE IDEA OF POSSIBLY GETTING SOMETHING OFF THE GROUND & GOING.

• !llumenati

I worked for a full service shop till the glass bender left and I inherited it and started my own gig. Did it till I got married then my wife wanted a guaranteed check every week instead of trying to track my money down. Now I have a corperation called "Moonlight Designs", legally a consulting thing so I keep my insurances to a minimum but run all my expensis through it for my night work incase I get paid by a check if they dont have cash at the end of the night.

GOOD things happen for a reason......

• Board Patron

YES FISHING NUT I DO HAVE ONE OF THEM ("WIFE") WHICH IS ACTUALLY THE REAL "BOSS" & SHE HAS SOME OF THOSE SAME CONCERNS "GUARANTEED CHECK WEEKLY THINGS". I CAN UNDERSTAND THAT & MAYBE I WILL NEED TO KEEP THE CURRENT DAY JOB FOR AWHILE & SET ME UP SOMETHING (NEON PLANT)AT HOME FOR THE AFTER WORK & WEEKEND JOBS UNTIL I CAN PROVE TO THE "BOSS" THAT IT CAN BE DONE ON OUR OWN IF YOU REALLY WANT TO MAKE IT HAPPEN & I DO BELIVE I CAN & WILL MAKE IT HAPPEN

• !llumenati
YES FISHING NUT I DO HAVE ONE OF THEM ("WIFE") WHICH IS ACTUALLY THE REAL "BOSS" & SHE HAS SOME OF THOSE SAME CONCERNS "GUARANTEED CHECK WEEKLY THINGS". I CAN UNDERSTAND THAT & MAYBE I WILL NEED TO KEEP THE CURRENT DAY JOB FOR AWHILE & SET ME UP SOMETHING (NEON PLANT)AT HOME FOR THE AFTER WORK & WEEKEND JOBS UNTIL I CAN PROVE TO THE "BOSS" THAT IT CAN BE DONE ON OUR OWN IF YOU REALLY WANT TO MAKE IT HAPPEN & I DO BELIVE I CAN & WILL MAKE IT HAPPEN

Just thought I'd chime in w/ my experience of "testing the waters" in a business...

I spent the first 5 years of my 6 years in the sign business as a part time endeavor, because I wanted to get my "guaranteed check" every 2 weeks. What I found was that neither were working all that great. I was not really committed to either because I was spread so thin. I was getting a less than stellar paycheck from my guaranteed job because it was part-time, and at the same time, I wasn't dedicated to my sign customers, taking a long time to complete orders, and not cultivating the business. Finally, I decided to take the leap and be responsible for the results...good or bad. It truly was the best thing I could've done to get going on a more rewarding experience as a business owner. I've since been able to make several significant investments in my business, and have created a customer base that is refferal oriented, which continues to pay dividends. Over the past year I have been outgrowing my current facilities, and will inevitably be moving to a larger space in the future. As much as I like being a one-man operation, I am also considering hiring or moving toward a partnership of some sort. These are all things I never would've even considered a couple of years ago working both jobs. Of course, thats not to say that it can't be done succesfully...I just wanted to offer my experience of it.

Guido

After 14 years of working for someone else, I struck out on my own last year. The opportunity arose when the company I worked for wasn't sure if they could make payroll. Because of this, I took the layoff and managed to get some state funded assistance with starting my business.

For the last year, I've been doing some commercial sign work, but I'm mostly freelancing with other shops, doing coaching, production and wide format vinyl installs. However, I'm by no means getting rich from pursuing this type of work :)

As I approach the business' 1 year anniversary, I'm working on a new plan an pursuing more commrcial and retail work. When I comes to electric signs, I know enough to be dangerous. So, I don't fabricate electric signs in house. However, I do sell them. Normally, I design a concept and rely on my vendors to quote, properly fabricate and install these types of signs.

As I finish my new plan and get ready to change the direction of the business, I find myself getting excited about this work again. I'm actually looking forward to the next 20 years or learning and challenges :)

Checkers

I sort of fell into the industry by fate. I first started off from a Southern Gent named Bob (Robert) Wind from "American Signs" at 18, Maybe he's still out there. He started me off with electrical sign cabinets, pole signs and sandblasted signs in Hawaii. He basically started me in the mind set of "You can do this on your own". He would elaborate on sales and the business side of it as he was teaching me fabrication. So from the beginning I was observing what money can be made as the owner.

Let me step back for a few. I grew up in the "Atari" age, got a Mac+ when I was 12 and started playing with graphic programs like Mac Paint (The Original PhotoShop) and loved Graphic art and Drafting in Jr. High and H.S. So the I fell in love with the transition using that basic concept and love of layout to what was now "Signs".

With my first employer I became a sponge. I think the determining factor was money and relationship. I can't really be happy working under anyone as I'm very independent and I know what money can be made. I was the youngest person in my state to get a C45 (at 21) contractors Lic, I was motivated like a mad dog with competition in my heart brought on by some previous short term employers and some people close to me who told me "I couldn't do it" I made it a point to undercut (yes I was that lowballer :butt: )my most hated competition for that short brief period of time where I had no overhead and real responsibilities. The only money I needed or wanted was "party money" :P

A short time later I got more responsible, got a shop, three work trucks which included a box van, bucket truck and a pick up truck all at age 21 with 2 salesman and 2 installers/fabricators. I was up and running, still not the most responsible electrical sign guy out on the field in relationship to making my business grow even more (I still wanted to party). Every Major shop in that period of time knew who I was and hated me :harhar: hated my salesmen. We always had a thing for coming in at the last second when a contract was about to be signed and we managed to sneak in the back door and walk off with it (fate I guess).

But as usual maturing came with age. I downsized do to personal reasons, and soon after that I started a family and wanted to en-richen that relationship. So now, I take on fewer jobs using the quality I have always put into signs and get more money for them. I basically work less and get more money. I choose my jobs now.

Wow no sleep in over a week, did I ramble on or even answer the question?

If your motivated and you have that desire, the fire in your belly then by all means do it. Your going to have to take a chance and don't let failure or the chance of failure stop you. DON"T EVER be that person who will think back or kick themselves later for NOT trying.

But the bottom line is, I LOVE this industry, I love my job, I love what I do and I continue to have that desire to learn more.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill