ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

TCP, Inc. Raises the Bar on Energy Efficient Lighting Quality and Production

Erik Sine

TCP, Inc. Raises the Bar on Energy Efficient Lighting Quality and Production

Not All Compact Fluorescent Lamps Are Created Equal

AURORA, Ohio--(BUSINESS WIRE)--TCP, Inc., has developed the first low sodium, lead-free compact fluorescent lamp (CFL) with reduced mercury levels to provide a brighter, more energy efficient, and environmentally-friendly light bulb.

CFLs are gaining in popularity as a new light source in homes across the country for the cost and energy saving benefits over incandescent light bulbs. Plus, CFLs help prevent global warming. However, not all CFLs are created equal. TCP, which sells its CFLs under a variety of name brands, private labels and other lighting manufacturers (OLMs), including n:vision at The Home Depot, is the only lighting company to control all aspects of the manufacturing process, ensuring a higher quality and longer lasting product.

Unlike other manufacturers, TCP owns its glass and circuit board factories to produce low sodium and lead free glass to improve the lumen maintenance over the life of the bulb, guaranteeing the best light quality from each CFL. TCP also manufactures lead-free solders used in the ballasts of its CFLs. By eliminating lead from the glass and solders, TCP produces a more environmentally-friendly CFL.

TCP also reduces the level of mercury in its products, as another step toward making CFLs the best lighting choice for the environment. All CFLs must contain mercury in order to glow and give light. TCP is the only manufacturer that uses 100% amalgam, a solid-state from or mercury and other elements. This guarantees that only the minimum amount of mercury is placed in the CFL. Other manufacturers use liquid mercury, which is less expensive and more difficult to accurately dose.

TCP’s CFLs are responsible for less mercury in the air than standard incandescent light bulbs. A CFL uses 75% less energy than an incandescent light bulb and lasts at least six times longer. A power plant will emit 10 milligrams of mercury to produce the electricity to run an incandescent bulb compared to only 2.4 milligrams of mercury to run a CFL for the same time.

“As the leader in energy efficient lighting, we take great responsibility in manufacturing the highest quality CFLs on the market,” said Ellis Yan, President and CEO, TCP, Inc. “We are continuously developing new and better methods to improve the product performance of every CFL that leaves our factories and enters the homes of consumers around the world.”

As the energy efficient lighting innovator, TCP was the first company to introduce the use of the “SpringLamp Inside” rather than a straight tube in a compact fluorescent lamp, dramatically providing more lumens and making the twisted tube design the standard for energy efficient lighting.

Over time, TCP has established the strongest technology base of any energy efficient light bulb manufacturer. The company has been the first to the market to conquer nearly every obstacle energy efficient lighting has faced, including the first to manufacture a dimmable CFL and patent the technology and the first to develop an odor-eliminating CFL. Though only a fraction of the size of its competitors, TCP has increased sales more than fivefold since 2000, reaching $152 million in sales in 2006, and manufacturing more than 70% of the CFLs on the U.S. market.

TCP, Inc. drives lighting innovation for commercial, industrial and residential applications. As the leader in energy efficient lighting, TCP manufactures the most compact fluorescent lamps in the industry, offers one of the largest number of ENERGY STAR approved products and distributes them throughout North America and abroad. The company’s extensive product line includes compact fluorescent lamps, cold cathode, linear and high bay systems, exit and emergency lighting, HID, energy efficient fixtures, and LED lighting products/solutions. For more information, visit us at www.tcpi.com or call (800) 324-1496.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

• !llumenati

If these are the units I saw at Home Depot, then I should point out that they come in not two, but three color temperatures. Along with the ubiquitos 2800 K incandescent-emulation white and less-common 4100K cool white, they also come in 3500 K white, which I find more pleasing around the house (I did my entire kitchen remodel in 3500 K compact fluorescent cans [down light] and 3500 K 'cold cathode' indirect fill lighting).

I should point out that I have not used any of these particular units, so I can't comment on the 'low mercury' propaganda. I am familiar with the green-endcapped 'low mercury' Philips regular fluorescents they sell there, and (in my personal opinion), compared to Sylvania or GE, they stink (at least when run on regular magnetic ballasts...)

"Freedom has ceased to be a birthright; it has come to mean whatever we are still permitted to do" - Joe Sobran

I was tired yesterday, I'm tired today, and I'll be retired tomorrow - TD

• !llumenati

flourescent lamps use a binder coat of Alon-C which prohibits the consumption of mercury by the phosphor. This is how they can use minimal amounts of mercury.

GOOD things happen for a reason......

flourescent lamps use a binder coat of Alon-C which prohibits the consumption of mercury by the phosphor. This is how they can use minimal amounts of mercury.

I assume CFL's are post coated rather than pre-coated. So is this Alon-C applied after the tube is coated? Can it stand up to bending temperatures?

• !llumenati
I assume CFL's are post coated rather than pre-coated. So is this Alon-C applied after the tube is coated? Can it stand up to bending temperatures?

I will check on the CFL coating for ya, we do not do any here. We only manufacture 10ft HO lamps.

No, it can not stand up to bending temperatures. We have done a lot of testing with it here with poor results.

GOOD things happen for a reason......

No, it can not stand up to bending temperatures. We have done a lot of testing with it here with poor results.

I was afraid you were going to say that. Too bad. If there was a way to use something like that everyone could cut down on the amount of mercury they use.

IWe only manufacture 10ft HO lamps.

That's surprising. Do you farm out your 117's and 108's? :sml (26):

joemomma

I do it in the transformer box.

1946-2008