ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

last minute rush quote requests on large projects

Rocco

• Board Patron

I just got another of those dreaded "need a quote on a large project by EOD tomorrow" emails.   It's a full rest stop worth of signs to be installed (several weeks work) on the turnpike and a job that I'd love to get.   The customer sent it after hours yesterday and wants a price back by EOD tomorrow.   Even if I had nothing else going on, I'd want at least 2-3 days to give an accurate quote.  For example, I'm sure to have questions that would need to be answered about the drawings they sent.  OK, enough of a rant.   

My real question is, why do these large companies wait until the last possible moment to send out an RFQ for a large project?   I've always thought that it's because they got pricing they didn't like from their normal vendor(s) and are hoping to get a last minute cheap price.  I'm not accusing anyone of trying to catch someone unprepared, but they had to know this quote date was coming up.   Yes I could just throw a high number at this job but that never works out.   Thoughts?

Thanks!

17 hours ago, Rocco said:

I just got another of those dreaded "need a quote on a large project by EOD tomorrow" emails.   It's a full rest stop worth of signs to be installed (several weeks work) on the turnpike and a job that I'd love to get.   The customer sent it after hours yesterday and wants a price back by EOD tomorrow.   Even if I had nothing else going on, I'd want at least 2-3 days to give an accurate quote.  For example, I'm sure to have questions that would need to be answered about the drawings they sent.  OK, enough of a rant.   

My real question is, why do these large companies wait until the last possible moment to send out an RFQ for a large project?   I've always thought that it's because they got pricing they didn't like from their normal vendor(s) and are hoping to get a last minute cheap price.  I'm not accusing anyone of trying to catch someone unprepared, but they had to know this quote date was coming up.   Yes I could just throw a high number at this job but that never works out.   Thoughts?

Thanks!

I think it's a combination of other shops telling them they don't have time to the PM's thinking the quote is too high.

I'd throw the high number at them and see if they bite

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill