ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Sign "Art" Vintage B&W

Anyone know of an artist of black and whites who has pics of old signs installations. A friend years ago told me he ran into old black and whites of sing installs in the 30's or 40's, old cranes and trucks installing etc.

I'd like to find some of these.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

• !llumenati

And what are you going to do with the pics??

Keep this thread alive till next week ---- I'm gone til then at the ISA show and then I'll post some of pics. No----not of me, I'm not quite that old, but my dad had a bunch of slides that I duped into digital. NOT fake ones, as is easily told by the cars and the styles of signs. I'll dig them out and post a few ------------

gn

• !llumenati
And what are you going to do with the pics??

Keep this thread alive till next week ---- I'm gone til then at the ISA show and then I'll post some of pics. No----not of me, I'm not quite that old, but my dad had a bunch of slides that I duped into digital. NOT fake ones, as is easily told by the cars and the styles of signs. I'll dig them out and post a few ------------

gn

And not to jump threads --- but there's a guy out there, a true artist who takes pics of neon signs, and then hand paints them so perfectly, shadows, reflection of the lit neon tubes etc, that you'd swear it was a photo. He was in Phoenix years ago, came by and visited, showed his work --------------he's over in California now, selling his neon pics for a bunch!!

gn

• !llumenati
And not to jump threads --- but there's a guy out there, a true artist who takes pics of neon signs, and then hand paints them so perfectly, shadows, reflection of the lit neon tubes etc, that you'd swear it was a photo. He was in Phoenix years ago, came by and visited, showed his work --------------he's over in California now, selling his neon pics for a bunch!!

gn

Here it is ----- http://www.pegasus00.com/kingneon.htm

James Gucwa is his name. Considered photo-realistic paintings. Scroll thru some of these, notice the glass tubing, the breaks, the missing pieces ----------stunning paintings of neon signs.

gn

Edited by Westcoast Sign Guy

Here it is -----http://www.pegasus00.com/kingneon.htm

James Gucwa is his name. Considered photo-realistic paintings. Scroll thru some of these, notice the glass tubing, the breaks, the missing pieces ----------stunning paintings of neon signs.

gn

WoW! Those are amazing!!!

WoW! Those are amazing!!!

Awesome Gary. Anyone here ever see the Disney cartoon "Cars"? Love the classic neon signs they have.

The reason for asking, the B&W's were large portrait size so thought a few would be cool in my office.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

Anyone know of an artist of black and whites who has pics of old signs installations. A friend years ago told me he ran into old black and whites of sing installs in the 30's or 40's, old cranes and trucks installing etc.

I'd like to find some of these.

The California Sign Association will be celebrating their 50th Anniversary next year, and guess who is chairing the Committee? In doing so, I'm getting some great historic photos from member companies and sign families. Speaking of which, this pic is of my Dad' and Grandfather's company doing an install ca. the late 50's.

post-782-1206547660.jpg

The California Sign Association will be celebrating their 50th Anniversary next year, and guess who is chairing the Committee? In doing so, I'm getting some great historic photos from member companies and sign families. Speaking of which, this pic is of my Dad' and Grandfather's company doing an install ca. the late 50's.

Those were the days when the signs were built like tanks and before the commonality of extrusions.

That photo is too cool Skip. BTW- I enjoyed reading the article on your father in that last CSA newsletter.

Reminds me of the saying "By the sweat of our brow and the strength of our backs" -Hector Barbossa

BTW- I enjoyed reading the article on your father in that last CSA newsletter.

Reminds me of the saying "By the sweat of our brow and the strength of our backs" -Hector Barbossa

Thanks. Those were the days. Since I joined this informative forum, I suspected I might know you. I just don't have the time, what with writing for the newsletter and chairing committees and, oh yeah, running my company, to be as active as I'd like here. Are you going to reveal your identity, or at least email me? www.billmoore.com

Thanks. Those were the days. Since I joined this informative forum, I suspected I might know you. I just don't have the time, what with writing for the newsletter and chairing committees and, oh yeah, running my company, to be as active as I'd like here. Are you going to reveal your identity, or at least email me? www.billmoore.com

I don't think we have ever met other than a few Pm's sent back and forth here at this site in the past, I'm just the lowly bartender here.

How you have time to do all that? I thought I was short on time....

I'm just the lowly bartender here.

How you have time to do all that? I thought I was short on time....

Well, Mr bartender, since it's still before noon, make mine a virgin Kamikazee...

Time is not hands on a clock but what you do with it. I manage. All the volunteer stuff is because I care about this industry, and our family's tradition in it.

Here it is ----- http://www.pegasus00.com/kingneon.htm

gn

Gary, thanks for the link. It's hard to believe that those are paintings. There is a Bay Area artist, Terry Thompson, that does a very similar thing. If you'd like to check him out, go to:

http://thompsonpaintings.com/index.shtml

Skip

post-782-1206551572.jpg

Well, Mr bartender, since it's still before noon, make mine a virgin Kamikazee...

Time is not hands on a clock but what you do with it. I manage. All the volunteer stuff is because I care about this industry, and our family's tradition in it.

Spoken like a true shepherd of the industry.

Now a Kamikazee I have not had since I was 18 and would hop over south across the order with friends, but those were yummy

Maybe because those pics at first are thumbnails but wow, very hard to believe they are oil paintings indeed.

Has anyone seen "cars"?

• !llumenati
Spoken like a true shepherd of the industry.

Now a Kamikazee I have not had since I was 18 and would hop over south across the order with friends, but those were yummy

Maybe because those pics at first are thumbnails but wow, very hard to believe they are oil paintings indeed.

Has anyone seen "cars"?

Not real good apics quality wise ----------- but memory wise----they're pretty darn good.

gn

post-427-1206827467.jpg

• !llumenati
Did not know Orange Julius was that old.

Boy, do I know those. Little hatch in the bottom, crawl up inside in 115 degree weather to work in that oven. Took bunches of them down when they changed their styles -----------and most, by that time, had power lines running right beside them.

gn