ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Article Question in Signs Of The Times

• Board Patron

I'm reading The Signs Of The Times and came upon a question in explanation.

"Reality Check into LED claims"

under subheading "neon" the author says "-and it's difficult to scale up neon tubing for super-large signs"

Would she still be talking about letters or more large scale light cabinets? I'm getting the impression she's still talking about lettering, and unsure about "upscaling".

We've done signs on sky scrappers, so this caught my attention.

Interesting article. The writer is actually here on the site, maybe she will see it and reply.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

I'm reading The Signs Of The Times and came upon a question in explanation.

"Reality Check into LED claims"

under subheading "neon" the author says "-and it's difficult to scale up neon tubing for super-large signs"

Would she still be talking about letters or more large scale light cabinets? I'm getting the impression she's still talking about lettering, and unsure about "upscaling".

We've done signs on sky scrappers, so this caught my attention.

Dear JR Neon:

I am new at posting messages here and don't know how to navigate too well here. I have tried to read and enter into certain web location in the past on Sign Syndicate, but failed. So I hope my message reaches you. If not, please feel free to email me at nisa.khan@ieee.org for further web conversation.

I apologize if my writing was not clear on "upscaling". I wrote in general terms for both channel letters and cabinet signs actually. I am impressed that your company put up very large cabinet signs on sky scrappers. But, my impression is that since LEDs are small modules and can be integrated in various ways on modular boards that can be joined together in many different configurations, the upscaling would be much easier than neon for any type of signage or display. But, I do see that my point is better made for channel letters that have more complex shapes than just strips of light for internal cabinet illumination, which can be done with neon also.

Thank you for the good question.

Nisa Khan

• Board Patron
Dear JR Neon:

I am new at posting messages here and don't know how to navigate too well here. I have tried to read and enter into certain web location in the past on Sign Syndicate, but failed. So I hope my message reaches you. If not, please feel free to email me at nisa.khan@ieee.org for further web conversation.

I apologize if my writing was not clear on "upscaling". I wrote in general terms for both channel letters and cabinet signs actually. I am impressed that your company put up very large cabinet signs on sky scrappers. But, my impression is that since LEDs are small modules and can be integrated in various ways on modular boards that can be joined together in many different configurations, the upscaling would be much easier than neon for any type of signage or display. But, I do see that my point is better made for channel letters that have more complex shapes than just strips of light for internal cabinet illumination, which can be done with neon also.

Thank you for the good question.

Nisa Khan

Interesting indeed.

We have done many LED channel letters but my boss has since stirred us away unless specified. All our skyscraper signs have been all neon (sometimes fluorescent lamps but then you have the service issues) as we want brightness and lost confidence in the Gelcores and others. I don't do the installs way up there , they can't pay me enough haha. But I thought it curious when a sign is way up high LED's would be a choice

The writer of the article isn't as in tune with the actual nuts and bolts of signs like we are and made a general statement that on the surface makes complete sense, and while true, it infers that neon is somehow difficult and problematic, which is not completely the case either.

My opinion - and his is why I like LEDs so much - is that they are simpler and easier for ALL sizes of signs, small medium and large. That said, I don't think that scalability is really an issue for neon and because of the size of the letters, it means more straight runs and fewer complex bends which can actually make things easier than medium sized letters. You just need to run a lot more tube, just like you'd run a lot more LEDs.

I think the issue becomes the actual handling of the letters, since bigger size may cause them to be handled a little more roughly, as well as the large letters being able to twist a little which can cause strain on the glass tubes when the supports suffer from some torsion.

A well designed LED product would certainly have fewer maintenance issues than fluorescents (often used in large letters), but as we all know, well made and properly installed neon can also last a very long time. I too have heard that companies are switching to LEDs for larger letters that are mounted high up. They may cost more and they may sacrifice brightness in some cases (with older LED products especially), but the ease of installation and reduced costs to get back up to the sign (say a single tube breaks and you only have the crane or swing stage for a day) do make LEDs a "safer" choice.

You wouldn't want to use crap like CAO (that Utah Arena job is gonna bite them in the ass when it's half as bright next fall), of course...

Edited by YYZ

You wouldn't want to use crap like CAO (that Utah Arena job is gonna bite them in the ass when it's half as bright next fall), of course...

I'm still waiting to hear more Hyatt aftermath.

Thanks Nisa for chiming in :thumbs:

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill