ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

The Sign Syndicate Meet (Updated 4/29)

POSTPONED until further notice

Updated 5/13/08

DEADLINE June 15th

The Sign Syndicate Meet

Electric Sign & Neon Seminar

This is the kind of event you'll want to have your employee's & decision makers attend.

We will be serving lunch, dinner, and of course the world famous micro-brew :beerchug:

When:

August 15th, 2008

Where:

Marina Village Conference Center

San Diego, CA 92109

Time: 11am

Room Capacity is Limited to 200 - 250 people

RSVP early to assure attendance:

Early RSVP $40.80

Late RSVP $61.20

At the Door $75.00

REGISTER & RSVP HERE

MAP

Vendors/Speaker Lineup

EGL (Sean Sulzbach & ?) 11:30am - 12:30pm

Topic: "The Inefficient Neon Myth", "Presentation For Designers"

egl_logo.jpg

Ventex Technology (Bill Phillips) 12:30pm - 1:30pm

Topic: "Efficiencies, Installations, Trouble Shooting of Electronic Transformers"

logo_sm.jpg

Lecip (Herb Lavender) 1:30pm - 3:00pm

Topic: "Installations, Troubleshooting, Electric Signs"

logo.jpg

Elite Lamp (Garret Churchill) 3:00pm - 3:30pm

Topic: "Cold Cathode"

ellogo.jpg

DINNER 3:30pm - 4:15pm

Community Environment Alliance (Edward Domanico) 4:15pm - 5:30pm

Topic: "Mercury- Handling, Recycling, Disposal of Universal Waste"

CEA_logo.jpg

More Vendors TBA

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

• 2 weeks later...

I'm posting the RSVP Register Gateway window as well.

As you come to the final step of registration you go to Paypal for payment with two options.

Option #1 You can choose to use a credit card of your choice and is processed through PayPal. You can shoose this as well even if you have a PayPal Account

Option #2 You can use your PayPal Account

Final Registration Step

paypal.jpg

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

Here is some Travel Info

Airport: San Diego International Airport (approx 5-8 miles away)

Hotels: Hyatt (Right next door to Marina Village)

Hotel Circle (3-5 Miles Away) A whole slew of hotels

Snippet from previous thread

Anyway, I'll have event details out soon on who and what will be there so far to date. August 15th will be some awesome weather for this event let me tell you. If you have ever visited San Diego before I don't have to tell you, if you have never been here, bring the family here. There is a Hyatt right next to this location, among others. SeaWorld is right across the street from this event location. This event will be in Mission Beach, and it's in one of the most happening place in San Diego. Plenty of place to go, like "The Wave House" which is less than a mile away located in Belmot Park, which is an open amusement park with no admission you only pay to go on the rides with carnival games, also filled with restaurants & shops.

This will be a fun excuse to get out and enjoy the weekend here, at the same time go back home with something. If I was an owner I'd send my service techs out to this event.

Well I'll be right there with ya!

What's up everyone? Not seeing too much reply like the last thread......hope this isn't the reflection of neon guys

Well I'll be right there with ya!

What's up everyone? Not seeing too much reply like the last thread......hope this isn't the reflection of neon guys

But you're not cute! :P

The battle cry is out, but doesn't do any good to hear it but not step up to it.

I've decided to have a hard deadline of June 15th. No late registration afterward for this event.

On June 15th I'll be moving this event to a room that fits the number of people registered.

Neon people, this is your industry meet, as poorly unorganized as your industry is and the lack of effort to do anything to shape or maintain the future for yourself and the next generation to take hold of, this is a positive beginning........or it's the pitiful beginning of an end. Neon component manufacturer's aren't going to and can't maintain it for you! Their doing THEIR part, THEIR showing up.

So put down your folded arms, show up, network, and do it once a year....or twice a year.

I'm tired of bringing up or hearing about Vermont and now California

If your not here........If you don't show.........I'm going to welcome organizations such as "The Neon Museum" even more.

Either way as for myself, I'm still making signs at the end..........and I can use exclusively LED's, CFL's, CCFL's, flash lights, candles, whatever it is they'll let me use........I'm not a NEON guy per say, but an electric sign guy.

Have a good weekend!

:cheers:

• !llumenati

Eric--nice comments here, and also on the Neon-l forum. Kinda like the Big Ben bell ringing, and there's no one to hear the sound -----------------.

We've touched on this subject before, and its a great conversation for personal conversation, and not by email or phone. But, the gist is that the sign trade has ALWAYS been that way - slow to change, slow to learn, slow to adapt, and even slower to give a shit about anything more than the next guy that comes in that wants to buy a sign.

The sign shops -------- like yourself in the way you do business ---------neon is realistically, nothing more than a means to light up a letter. Like you said, and the logic of most businesses is that if neon is booted, for whatever of the various reasons that are thrown out there, life goes on, and we'll find another light source. Sign shops, neon shop benders --------- that's a different story. They care----but they don't give a shit if it means they have to put some effort ------- it's the old ----------let someone else do it theory. It's NOT really a case of whether they show up in Calif or not --------- it's a case of whether they get off their asses and be proactive about the issues, rather than just bitch when the subject comes up. Many of the same folks,having the same issues were at the ISA show in Florida ------------ there were MAYBE 30 people in the room for the recycling seminar. No wonder that ISA, nor the trade takes it seriously. It's not just about mercury -----its the sales, the installation, the repair, the permits, everything about the industry is ignored, and just bitched about.

But, hey, this is old stuff. The battle is the same, the bitches and problems are different, the attitudes of the people involved are the same, same-o, same-o.

gn - one of the OLD generation sign people that you commented on in the Neon-l forum !!!

Eric--nice comments here, and also on the Neon-l forum. Kinda like the Big Ben bell ringing, and there's no one to hear the sound -----------------.

We've touched on this subject before, and its a great conversation for personal conversation, and not by email or phone. But, the gist is that the sign trade has ALWAYS been that way - slow to change, slow to learn, slow to adapt, and even slower to give a shit about anything more than the next guy that comes in that wants to buy a sign.

The sign shops -------- like yourself in the way you do business ---------neon is realistically, nothing more than a means to light up a letter. Like you said, and the logic of most businesses is that if neon is booted, for whatever of the various reasons that are thrown out there, life goes on, and we'll find another light source. Sign shops, neon shop benders --------- that's a different story. They care----but they don't give a shit if it means they have to put some effort ------- it's the old ----------let someone else do it theory. It's NOT really a case of whether they show up in Calif or not --------- it's a case of whether they get off their asses and be proactive about the issues, rather than just bitch when the subject comes up. Many of the same folks,having the same issues were at the ISA show in Florida ------------ there were MAYBE 30 people in the room for the recycling seminar. No wonder that ISA, nor the trade takes it seriously. It's not just about mercury -----its the sales, the installation, the repair, the permits, everything about the industry is ignored, and just bitched about.

But, hey, this is old stuff. The battle is the same, the bitches and problems are different, the attitudes of the people involved are the same, same-o, same-o.

gn - one of the OLD generation sign people that you commented on in the Neon-l forum !!!

This I know to be true, I've heard it all before. The revision and the trial for a new neon association that they are trying to form will fail as well.

BUT....don't put yourself, or feel like you're in the same boat as them Gary. I think you've realized that just because you get older, doesn't mean you have to mature.....your're one of the rare bread that adapts to whats coming next. The one that nature selects to move on.

But I'm curious now, how come you did not respond much of what you wrote here, there?

• !llumenati

But I'm curious now, how come you did not respond much of what you wrote here, there?

?? You know the answer to that one. I was a member of that list for a long time ----------- many, many really good people were active particiapants on that list ---- same time that INA started, or was trying to start. Just about all of those people have quit responding to most stuff ----------- just isn't worth the time anymore. John Anderson, bless his heart, is one of the few that still tries to respond -- and he's another of the those good neon people. Take that back, great neon people.

gn

?? You know the answer to that one. I was a member of that list for a long time ----------- many, many really good people were active particiapants on that list ---- same time that INA started, or was trying to start. Just about all of those people have quit responding to most stuff ----------- just isn't worth the time anymore. John Anderson, bless his heart, is one of the few that still tries to respond -- and he's another of the those good neon people. Take that back, great neon people.

gn

Roger

....I have to go wash my hands now

This Event for the August Meet is canceled & postponed to a later date (Nov / Dec).

Why?

The lone community for neon which I thought was slowly dying, wasn't , but in fact, it now appears to already have been dead. :rip:

I think I was a few years short with the Defibrillator. The existing community of end users are surprisingly disinterested and whatever community there was, is disappointingly......absolutely no more.

"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

So What's next? Time to move forward

I'd like to postpone this event and make it purely a "Electric Sign Industry" Meet, making it all phases of light sources including LED's, Fluorescent, Neon, Plastics & Machinery and of course the all important "Merc" topic. IF, there is enough interest in it.

I'd like to thank all the Speakers & Vendors for putting thought & time aside for this event in trying to help keep the industry community closer. We'll try again with a different format.

I'll be PM'ing those who have already registered for this event and you will be refunded, if I missed you for some reason please PM me.

Thank You!

• !llumenati

So sad -------------. Some wonder why us old farts muse over what used to be, how it used to be, and what it used to mean. Its not like wanting to live in the past - its more like wanting to save some of the past for the future.

So sad-------------.

Nice try Eric.

You know Gary, it was getting to a point where I was working a little too hard to get the attention of the neon community out there whether it was local, on that list or elsewhere. I think an obvious sign to me (no pun intended) as I was talking to my neon guy was the sign show here in San Diego, I remember getting a phone call from a CSA guy who owns a shop here in SD county, calling me and letting me know that "I should attend". At the event, the attendance was maybe 15-20 looking back.

I applaud that guy, but if I have to make random calls to ask(but I did fax this flyer out to selected people locally & Associations), that's just too much work for me to take me away from other important duties.

At least in the back of my mind I can say I tried and took a genuine shot at it and never looking back thinking "I wish I did more". As this topic has been discussed in the past couple of years here, I can NOW truly get a taste of what others were talking about. I won't be making an effort for it again, and it's doubtful to ever post again to that list as I see no point.

its more like wanting to save some of the past for the future.

I think everything has a fashion period and it all gets recycled, it will come back again, but in a time where everyone will have to relearn as everyone else who once was, is no longer.

I hate that this didn't get the response it needed. I had not registered for it yet, for various reasons but it was marked on the calendar and i was going to bring a group of no less than 5 with me.

Sorry Erik, I didn't register either, but had every entention of attending. In the back of my mind I could see the wife and I just jumping in the car and driving over to SD for the meet and then driving right back. (That's how the last two shows were for us, Vegas and San Diego, and even the Indian Motorcycle Ralley in Branson. Road Trip, no sleep, just get there, meet everyone, soak up as much information as possible and get back to our dogs before they chew up the house.)

Why do I have a feeling we'll get more responses like this. But, hold on to that thought!

I want to do it again, just not dedicated solely to neon in Nov/ Aug we'll do it with a broader audience.

Response like what you're giving me now are great to get a feel of the interest. I just don't want to waste the speakers time with something so small and low turnout with airfare and everythign else that goes along with it.

EGL is still coming out regardless, I'll find out tomorrow if they want the room still. If they do, it will still be on, just more private

• 5 months later...
  • Board Patron
"The lone community for neon which I thought was slowly dying, wasn't , but in fact, it now appears to already have been dead. :rip:

Just reading some of these comments here. Are you talking about neon-l above? I've run the Neon-List since 1996 - and subscribership right now is close to an all time high (231 members as of 10-30-08) - up 21 from this time a year ago. Up from ~180 in 2003. As someone who posts there frequently yourself (and has only been a member as of recent), what exactly are your referring to "slowly dying"? Please explain.

Neon-l is a free, unmoderated mailing-list for neon people I created in 1996 with many of the subcribers to the Neon News (Ted Pirsigs publication that ran in the early 1990s). Has always been this. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't make money off of it, and operate it soley out of a love for the trade. A trade that is responsible for the majority of my income the past 2 decades. I don't dictate, nor recommend topics for posting. People get upset when I don't moderate comments others find offensive. Sorry, I'm not a censor, and I depend on the group as a whole to call out BS when they see it (which, most of the time, they do).

John

Mega Volt Neon, Inc.

Austin, TX

administrator: Neon Mailing List (Neon-l)

Just reading some of these comments here. Are you talking about neon-l above? I've run the Neon-List since 1996 - and subscribership right now is close to an all time high (231 members as of 10-30-08) - up 21 from this time a year ago. Up from ~180 in 2003. As someone who posts there frequently yourself (and has only been a member as of recent), what exactly are your referring to "slowly dying"? Please explain.

Neon-l is a free, unmoderated mailing-list for neon people I created in 1996 with many of the subcribers to the Neon News (Ted Pirsigs publication that ran in the early 1990s). Has always been this. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't make money off of it, and operate it soley out of a love for the trade. A trade that is responsible for the majority of my income the past 2 decades. I don't dictate, nor recommend topics for posting. People get upset when I don't moderate comments others find offensive. Sorry, I'm not a censor, and I depend on the group as a whole to call out BS when they see it (which, most of the time, they do).

John

Mega Volt Neon, Inc.

Austin, TX

administrator: Neon Mailing List (Neon-l)

Man this is an old thread that got dug up. You just dug up an old wound. While this is now getting updated, let it be known now that there is nothing planned for this fall. Out of site, out of mind. That said.

John,

No, my above statement "lone neon commuity" above has nothing directly to do with the neon list, but rather, after making numerous out reaches through different avenues & networks I came to a final conclusion with the trade as a whole after trying to organize for the lone or sole community of neon.

Though I think in a follow up email with your list I did say how shocked I was that not one reply or comment came when I announced it numerous times on the Neon List, other than Garret. In fact, Neon people here and component manufacturer's that were going to attend that are members here as well as your list, stayed for the most part quite in public voice. Why? I didn't even get a "Sounds cool, I think the effort is great but it's too far for me to travel" Again, not just talking about your list but from other places as well. Believe me, I only had about 45 people confirmed and It was the sound of crickets from there. It was fantastic that vendors were there to show up and speak, but just not enough people to listen. I noticed a BIG part of politics being played as well, neon people shooting it down due to competition. This is something I haven't mentioned until now.

Right now as I look and hear, Neon manufacturer's and programs for Neon training are closing shop.

I say "dead" as in, people making an effort to keep something organized going. People will talk, bitch, complain, rant, but when it comes to trying to get organized, well, that's where it falls short. I've seen better organized people in the sign trade with "Sign Painters" or "Pin Strippers" than that in the neon trade. It's one thing to keep dialogue in a forum or list but another for an organized movement of regular meetings trying to refresh a trade, that is in much need. I have a CNC Machine and I can't tell you how many special interest group meetings I can attend a month if I wanted to.

My opinion now with Neon since this attempt of a meet? I think it has to ride side by side with the LED technology as it pertains to the sign trade in order to survive and draft new tradesmen, and no longer alone. It needs to become Sexy again, and it's too bad it's not promoted that way anymore because of what you can do with it. Look at all the exclusive one time sole "Neon only" manufacturer's are now producing LED products? For example, I look at Neon Group manufacturer members, and half if not more are also selling LED products or on the way to, but just haven't announced it yet. To me the manufacturer's have already started to walk side by side with LED technology with the idea in order to survive.

The problem I see with Neon isn't the fact that there aren't people to discuss it, but rather induct new blood & promote it again

So, back to the topic of this thread. The next organized meet I put together will include both Neon & LED, and I'll be dragging the "White Neon & LED Comparison Cabinet" with me to the meet so we can see & discuss where both light sources excel and fall short in different applications.

PS- Speaking of SEXY, see what I can do with a girl who appears to be standing over neon in the Great White Hope advert? I didn't even have to pay her money, the spoils of sleeping next to someone! :P

Why can't the Neon manufacturer's do stuff like that? Maybe they can hire me for PR work, :thumbs: