ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Business Location

I have to make a choice soon regarding my, "New 'small' Vinyl Sign Business".

1. Open up my new biz in my basement thus eliminating all kinds of start up costs. I could probably just fit my sign business in the basement that has very low ceilings, it will be a very tight squeeze.

or

2. Find a turn key location that is cheap on the main drag of my city, thus getting more exposure to more potential customers. I'm hoping that this choice will increase my business many times, but I understand it is a gamble for such a small business. Cheap locations are available.

or

3.Open up my biz in my basement and later on when I have more working capital move my biz to the main street of my city.

Take in mind that I have a tight budget and opening up on the main street will be tough.

W.

Yeah, I would probably wait for leasing a shop till after it took off for a while. But if you have that itch and money to burn why not go for the shop. I can't help think that everyone needs a sign, whether your going into business or going out of business. I don't think their are enough sign businesses.

:pepper: :banana:

One of my fears is that if I go for the basement, I'll miss out on more sales. It would be nice if other businesses can see my store.

Well if your just starting off no matter what, your going to have to start out doing outside sales. Visiting newly coming business where ever you see contruction, passing your cards to business's who may look like they have a need. Reading newspapers on local events and newly signed leases. Dropping by property managements, construction offices. Some people even market themselves through data bases that get new city business licenses registeries and send them post cards for advertisements. The list goes on.

Maybe that might help a little

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

• 1 month later...
Guest Guest
My basement wins!

If your neighbor complains, you're going to have a visit from the zoning board! My trash is pretty substantial. I go through about 50 yds of 24" vinyl in a week. I go through about 15 yds of 30" and 15 yds of 15" too. That's a lot of garbage, even if you press it down. I fill the Shinerite boxes the stuff comes in and I go through a box of magnetics about once every two weeks. They see UPS deliver stuff nearly every day. I have a lot of garbage. My one neighbor is the assistant head of the DPW. He knows I make signs and banners. I always insist it is my "hobby". I could get away with that up until March. The past 7-8 weeks my business is up way more than triple. Went from 25 yds of assorted materials to 80-85 yds of assorted material per week. It's kind of hard to deal with the trash!

I would think that when you get to that point of being that busy you have to be making enough money to get a shop. Having a problem of being to busy is a good problem to have :D Nothing like having a shop with your name on it

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

Guest Guest
I would think that when you get to that point of being that busy you have to be making enough money to get a shop.  Having a problem of being to busy is a good problem to have :D  Nothing like having a shop with your name on it

Not if you whore yourself out for these prices...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=7510270482

3x8 banner for $50? Insane?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=7969890685

Exactly how does one make a profit on this??? Volume? I'd rather be flipping burgers at the golden arches...

This is true and unfortunate. But I've seen this happen time and time again. They don't last for to long before they find themselves in a bind. This is a very common trend that comes and goes like the wind. Wish I had a dollar for everytime I see these dummies go out of business. They don't understand that the sign industry is a "specialty" first.

Guest Guest
This is true and unfortunate.  But I've seen this happen time and time again.  They don't last for to long before they find themselves in a bind.  This is a very common trend that comes and goes like the wind.  Wish I had a dollar for everytime I see these dummies go out of business.  They don't understand that the sign industry is a "specialty" first.

I get $50 for a 2x6 one color on 8 oz vinyl and my competition hates my guts for being TOO CHEAP!

Guest Guest
Not if you whore yourself out for these prices...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=7510270482

3x8 banner for $50? Insane?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=7969890685

Exactly how does one make a profit on this??? Volume? I'd rather be flipping burgers at the golden arches...

I just realized he will do a 3 color banner for less than $50! Holy Crap! I'm just going to farm out work to him from now on and search for pictures of nice tits on the web all day!

I don't do many banners I usually give them away free when I sell an electric wall sign. But I just realized I buy a 10oz hemmed and grommeted for around $20-25, and for 3 more colors. Wow!!! no kidding. I think I'm willing to drop 50 bones to that guy just to see they look like.

Truely the "guest" just may have found the new sign bitch to drop orders on. This may work out better in more ways then one. But I think i'd rather pay COD, cuzz I know if this guy will fold soon. Well the other danger to this is do we know if this banner ho is really in the US. What if it truely is a "sweat shop" somewhere in Mexico or China? Where peeps are getting paid $1 a week.

:blink:

Guest Guest
I don't do many banners I usually give them away free when I sell an electric wall sign.  But I just realized I buy a 10oz hemmed and grommeted for around $20-25, and for 3 more colors.  Wow!!! no kidding.  I think I'm willing to drop 50 bones to that guy just to see they look like. 

Truely the "guest" just may have found the new sign bitch to drop orders on.  This may work out better in more ways then one.  But I think i'd rather pay COD, cuzz I know if this guy will fold soon.  Well the other danger to this is do we know if this banner ho is really in the US.  What if it truely is a "sweat shop" somewhere in Mexico or China?  Where peeps are getting paid $1 a week.

:blink:

I should register... later. Here's a thought, I used to outsource political signs to a local screen printer here in the expensive NE, never really was questioned about prices. Then again this was 1999-2000 when people couldn't shop on the web and compare prices the way they can today, or if they could, they didn't know how... Perhaps saving $40 on a $400 order wasn't a big deal in those days...

I found a shop in Alabama. Very cheap. Free FedEx Ground too! I used them from 2001-2003. Then by comparison, they became too expensive. There was a company in Laredo, Texas doing them for less than what I was paying in Alabama in 2001! They actually didn't make the signs in Laredo (a border town). They are actually made in Nuevo Laredo, Mexico! They truck them over the border and ship from the USA. My clients who buy this sort of thing are pretty smart about money (politicians and hustlers). At some point the sources will sell direct and cut me right out. Made in Mexico means 50¢ an hour, no OSHA, no EPA. Thanks to NAFTA, no tariffs either! I blame both parties because they were all more than happy to pass NAFTA! I supported Kucinich last year mainly because he wants to end NAFTA.