ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

ye ol neon rocket

big E

Hello out there in cyberland,I have got in to an interesting project with the Swainsboro Historic Preservation Society.It seems that they have acquired a 1950 roadside attraction that happens to be a neon rocket.Yes that right a rocket ,at one point in time ,it had flashing neon exhaust lights ,words that lit up on the sides and border running down over its tail fins.Not only that but it rotated up on a pedestal 50' up in the air.Now I do not know if you have ever dealt with a bunch of "I remember when "old timers or not.Now do not get me wrong,they are a great bunch of people, though the information they give you can be a little diluted with time.What I am looking for are pictures of a neon rockets ,any will do,but especially the one that resided on route 1 in Swainsboro Ga.that read Sam"s curb side service.Yeah I know,but even a blind squirrel can find an acorn every now and then.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Eric.post-2500-1227041865.jpg

Now that I think About it I think I remember some photography hobbyists that had pics of some rockets. What ever your outcome please posts some restoration pics in process. I love these old signs :thumbs:

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

• !llumenati
Hello out there in cyberland,I have got in to an interesting project with the Swainsboro Historic Preservation Society.It seems that they have acquired a 1950 roadside attraction that happens to be a neon rocket.Yes that right a rocket ,at one point in time ,it had flashing neon exhaust lights ,words that lit up on the sides and border running down over its tail fins.Not only that but it rotated up on a pedestal 50' up in the air.Now I do not know if you have ever dealt with a bunch of "I remember when "old timers or not.Now do not get me wrong,they are a great bunch of people, though the information they give you can be a little diluted with time.What I am looking for are pictures of a neon rockets ,any will do,but especially the one that resided on route 1 in Swainsboro Ga.that read Sam"s curb side service.Yeah I know,but even a blind squirrel can find an acorn every now and then.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Eric.post-2500-1227041865.jpg

"old timers"??? How rude. Just wait, your time is coming. I PM'd him to contact Len Davison---who seems to have the most pics and books of old neon signs of anyone-------but then again, he's another "old timer" who's memory is probably failing, and might now remember if his pic is of the correct rocket or not. Personally, I'd try and check the archives of the local paper------------surely some "old time" newspaper photo journalist snapped some pics that they'd still have. Most of those old signs had either housing holes, or just big holes for the gto to be suspended in the centers. If that's the case, you can use those to figure out the neon. And back in the heyday of signs---a rocket wasn't so unusual. There used to be comets, flying saucers on poles, etc, animated monkeys, Indian chiefs in full headdress, ladies diving into a pool, etc, etc. Course---that was artful neon, and now we get-------------led's.

gn

"old timers"??? How rude. Just wait, your time is coming. I PM'd him to contact Len Davison---who seems to have the most pics and books of old neon signs of anyone-------but then again, he's another "old timer" who's memory is probably failing, and might now remember if his pic is of the correct rocket or not. Personally, I'd try and check the archives of the local paper------------surely some "old time" newspaper photo journalist snapped some pics that they'd still have. Most of those old signs had either housing holes, or just big holes for the gto to be suspended in the centers. If that's the case, you can use those to figure out the neon. And back in the heyday of signs---a rocket wasn't so unusual. There used to be comets, flying saucers on poles, etc, animated monkeys, Indian chiefs in full headdress, ladies diving into a pool, etc, etc. Course---that was artful neon, and now we get-------------led's.

gn

hahaha you are right,ol timers ,I do apologize,I am about one shoe size form there my self.The truth be known I used to spend many happy hours interviewing older ladies and gentlemen on historic sites,it is fascinating the amount of detail and in-site that can be gathered through their stories.,after all they lived though these times.Also keep in mind"that to me" it is a term of endearment.What we are doing is trying to gather pictures more for a display and not the technical aspect.Some of the actual glass was on the rocket and even lit.Now I do not know when this glass was produced,or if it is replacement glass.The wires on the electrodes were solid and not twine.One set was egl and the other e&m.I believe the e&m was produced between 1951 to 1962?thanks for the info...ol timer lol..Eric.

A company in Texas bought a rocket from a still operating Chevrolet / Olsmobile dealer in my area. Remember the Oldsmobile Rocket? At one time starting in the late 60's and early 70's there were many of them installed at dealerships around the country. They were built by someone in Chicago I think.

A company in Texas bought a rocket from a still operating Chevrolet / Olsmobile dealer in my area. Remember the Oldsmobile Rocket? At one time starting in the late 60's and early 70's there were many of them installed at dealerships around the country. They were built by someone in Chicago I think.
cool I just love historic preservation and get all excited when I can get out of my normal routine,boarded, boarder,open,Earl's grill type stuff.Chicago ,huh.thanks for the info.Eric.