ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Alright ISA

Let's turn the faucet off, it's been weeks and you're still flooding my email with ads and spam from vendors at the show of whom I've never visited or stopped by.

"Thanks for stopping by booth 546*#". I was never there!

Next time I'll create a yahoo address right before I register, one I'll use just once. :focus:

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

Let's turn the faucet off, it's been weeks and you're still flooding my email with ads and spam from vendors at the show of whom I've never visited or stopped by.

"Thanks for stopping by booth 546*#". I was never there!

Next time I'll create a yahoo address right before I register, one I'll use just once. :focus:

I also keep receiving emails from numerous vendors that I never visited in Las Vegas. No one should be allowed to contact your email unless that vendor scanned your badge or you requested information. The ISA is operating in the same manner as telemarketing companies! Enough with the annoying emails, ISA! This is not helping your members. It is aggravating them!

• !llumenati

I feel left out, i tried to get scanned by as many LED booths I could and have not received anything. I have received a lot from Lightfair (LEDfair) though.

GOOD things happen for a reason......

Normally, I only post here when speaking as an individual, but this time I want to speak for my employer.

On behalf of ISA, I (and we) want to apologize that you have been inundated with emails from exhibitors. We recognize the problem and are not happy with what has happened this year. Anything that diminishes the experience or satisfaction of Expo attendees is a serious problem to all of us at ISA that work all year to build the best show possible.

While the policies of providing ISA Expo attendee lists to exhibitors had not changed from previous years, the impact to 2009 attendees certainly has changed from earlier years. Below, I have outlined below the possible reason for this and steps we are taking to counter this for the future:

• As part of the exhibitor package, they are given the opportunity to purchase the attendee list from the Expo. (In 2009 and in past years, nonexhibiting companies are prohibited access to the list by ISA.) We are doing our best to educate exhibitors on the best use of this list, but unfortunately, many of them have taken the approach that "more is better". (Especially this year, more exhibitors have focused on all attendees, not just the targeted leads acquired on the show floor.) We will continue our exhibitor education efforts throughout the year in the hopes that we can persuade them to target emails to only those attendees who expressed interest in their product.
  • We provided attendees with the option to opt-out of receiving exhibitor emails for pre-show marketing. Unfortunately we received almost no complaints in previous years about post-show marketing. Due to the economy and the success of the Expo, we suspect that our exhibitors have ramped up their marketing efforts to ISA attendees, which may be backfiring for them. In 2010, we will provide the option for any registrant to opt out of all exhibitor emails.
  • If you would like to forward me a few of the emails you have received, I would be happy to personally follow up with those exhibitors on your behalf in order to reinforce the message that these emails are considered spam by our attendees and only serve to decrease the brand and prestige of the exhibiting company.

Again I apologize for the multitude of emails you have received. Had ISA anticipated that exhibitors would use the attendee list in the manner that has occurred, we would have reexamined our policy for 2009; after the experiences of the last month, we will reexamine them for 2010.

Regards,

Kenny Peskin

ISA Manager of State and Local Government Affairs

kenneth.peskin@signs.org

(703) 778-8096

• Board Patron
Normally, I only post here when speaking as an individual, but this time I want to speak for my employer.

On behalf of ISA, I (and we) want to apologize that you have been inundated with emails from exhibitors. We recognize the problem and are not happy with what has happened this year. Anything that diminishes the experience or satisfaction of Expo attendees is a serious problem to all of us at ISA that work all year to build the best show possible.

While the policies of providing ISA Expo attendee lists to exhibitors had not changed from previous years, the impact to 2009 attendees certainly has changed from earlier years. Below, I have outlined below the possible reason for this and steps we are taking to counter this for the future:

• As part of the exhibitor package, they are given the opportunity to purchase the attendee list from the Expo. (In 2009 and in past years, nonexhibiting companies are prohibited access to the list by ISA.) We are doing our best to educate exhibitors on the best use of this list, but unfortunately, many of them have taken the approach that "more is better". (Especially this year, more exhibitors have focused on all attendees, not just the targeted leads acquired on the show floor.) We will continue our exhibitor education efforts throughout the year in the hopes that we can persuade them to target emails to only those attendees who expressed interest in their product.
  • We provided attendees with the option to opt-out of receiving exhibitor emails for pre-show marketing. Unfortunately we received almost no complaints in previous years about post-show marketing. Due to the economy and the success of the Expo, we suspect that our exhibitors have ramped up their marketing efforts to ISA attendees, which may be backfiring for them. In 2010, we will provide the option for any registrant to opt out of all exhibitor emails.
  • If you would like to forward me a few of the emails you have received, I would be happy to personally follow up with those exhibitors on your behalf in order to reinforce the message that these emails are considered spam by our attendees and only serve to decrease the brand and prestige of the exhibiting company.

Again I apologize for the multitude of emails you have received. Had ISA anticipated that exhibitors would use the attendee list in the manner that has occurred, we would have reexamined our policy for 2009; after the experiences of the last month, we will reexamine them for 2010.

Regards,

Kenny Peskin

ISA Manager of State and Local Government Affairs

kenneth.peskin@signs.org

(703) 778-8096

wow I appreciate your response! and professional attitude

Thanks!

Installation & Maintenance Services

Brian Phillips | expresssignandneon@sbcglobal.net | P. 812-882-3278

Express Sign & Neon | 119 S. 15th Street - Vincennes - IN 47591

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

I forgot to mention I got many phone calls too from these vendors.

But yes, thanks for the response Kenny! :fnd (8):

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

I forgot to mention I got many phone calls too from these vendors.

But yes, thanks for the response Kenny! :fnd (8):

Kenny,

Thank you for addressing the issues with the sales contacts. We, like Erik, received phone calls in addition to the emails. Have a great day!

Thanks!

• Board Patron

I would be great if the USSC would be professional enough to stand up and apologize for the ASI mess they started.

This thread really shows the difference between a professional association (ISA) that cares about it's members and one that is not and doesn't (USSC).

Installation & Maintenance Services

Brian Phillips | expresssignandneon@sbcglobal.net | P. 812-882-3278

Express Sign & Neon | 119 S. 15th Street - Vincennes - IN 47591

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

• !llumenati
I would be great if the USSC would be professional enough to stand up and apologize for the ASI mess they started.

This thread really shows the difference between a professional association (ISA) that cares about it's members and one that is not and doesn't (USSC).

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm still getting this crap !! I've sent bunches of them to Ken ---- and still, everyday, another one shows up. Obviously from the ISA lists ----- and booths that I didn't stop at, don't give a rat's ass about, guarantee the last time I actually use my email to sign up for a show !!!!!!!

Gary Nutting

It's driving me crazy! I'm getting flooded

Ken anyway you can take my name off list? admin @ thesignsyndciate com and kirstie @ thesignindustry com

It's driving me crazy! I'm getting flooded

Ken anyway you can take my name off list? admin @ thesignsyndciate com and kirstie @ thesignindustry com

Erik and Gary (and the others in the same boat),

You should be hearing from one of my colleagues early next week (if you haven't already). Unfortunately, as I don't work with the tradeshow or with the exhibitors outside of my travels and my interactions on the show floor, I can't speak specifically to this issue other than saying that I am the guy who tends to follow the sign-centric internet discussions most closely and so I am the one posting here.

Short answer: We're trying...

Longer answer: Last week, I met with members of our ISA tradeshow department after receiving Gary's forwarded emails, as well as some thoughts from other individuals. They are working in hopes of resolving this.

Longest answer: It is more difficult to accomplish this because ISA isn't sending out the emails. (And, speaking only for myself and without a copy of any contract in front of me, this type of email distribution may not have been addressed by the specific terms of the 2009 exhibitor contract.) Once exhibitors obtained the attendee list, they could continue to email those addresses without any ability of ISA to control the inclusion of any of the recipients. Most exhibitors aren't a problem; never have been. But some have acted in a manner that is annoying (and offending) attendees. Past feedback indicated that the problems with email were with pre-Expo marketing (post show emails were being sent mainly to qualified leads collected on the show floor); our exhibitor contracts and attendee registration forms reflected this concern with pre-Expo marketing. But this year has brought out a new problem that we hadn't anticipated. (BTW, many exhibitors sign contracts for the Expo at the conclusion of the previous year's show; and the economic situation was quite different in March 08.) Obviously, our plans for 2010 are different.

In conclusion, we're still trying...

You guys sold the list? So a company who bought them could resell that same list? Why didn't you guys send the emails for them? That would give you guys better control. I'm going to go see if I can buy that list second or third hand.

You guys sold the list? So a company who bought them could resell that same list? Why didn't you guys send the emails for them? That would give you guys better control. I'm going to go see if I can buy that list second or third hand.

I don't know that ISA is equipped to send out emails on behalf of outside companies. Beyond the technological and logistical complications, the staff resources needed to do that on behalf of almost 500 companies are far beyond the capabilities of a organization that runs with a 20 person staff (doing all the other work that is needed to run the organization).

BTW, it is not unusual for exhibitors to receive an attendee list. Two weeks after the expo, I helped staff the ISA booth at the American Planning Association's National Conference in Minneapolis. As part of our exhibitor package, ISA received the attendee list from APA. Similarly, ISA received attendee lists for the conferences/shows hosted by the Int Municipal Lawyers Association, the Assn of Small Business Development Centers, and the other four shows that ISA exhibited at in 08.

Kenny I appreciate your feedback, hope you don't think you're the human shield for all this or our Pinata! :P

• !llumenati

All of that woulgn't be a problem IF they would tell everyone that they are giving/selling/allowing the attendee list to be used for spam emails --- I mean, it sucks that I and everyone else gets emails from people that we did NOT visit at the show because they had nothing that we were interested in --------. To me, that part is wrong. If I had a vendor scan my super ticket --- thus indicating SOME type of interest in their wares, then it would be a different story. Guarantee that before the next show ------------- everyone on this synicate forum will be ADVISED to use a bogus/extra email address that they can vacate as soon as the ISA show is over !!!!!!!!

gn

All of that woulgn't be a problem IF they would tell everyone that they are giving/selling/allowing the attendee list to be used for spam emails --- I mean, it sucks that I and everyone else gets emails from people that we did NOT visit at the show because they had nothing that we were interested in --------. To me, that part is wrong. If I had a vendor scan my super ticket --- thus indicating SOME type of interest in their wares, then it would be a different story. Guarantee that before the next show ------------- everyone on this synicate forum will be ADVISED to use a bogus/extra email address that they can vacate as soon as the ISA show is over !!!!!!!!

gn

The attendee registration form is being revised for 2010. That already has been decided. Other possible changes also are likely to be discussed by staff and decided by the Tradeshow Committee.

Hey ya'll - when I signed up for the 2008 Orlando show, I read that "by clicking here, you agree to let ISA use your email address for blablabla..." Im going to try to find that confirmation email from the ISA from last year. We are an LED message center manufacturer, but I still keep receiving emails for ink suppliers, printer manufacturers, and vinyl distributors. Most of the emails have terrible and illegible formats, or use very choppy English, and don't really do their business any good....

You are right about the yahoo email address, never going to use my business one again.

We didn't go to the 2009 show....

I sent some sales emails to sign companies back in 2007, no bulk mailing, but nonetheless unsolicited sales emails. I stopped doing this once I noticed how annoying unsolicited emails really are, AND who really pays attention to them??? NO ONE!!!

I'm going to go see if I can buy that list second or third hand.

...and what would you do with that list?

...and what would you do with that list?

SPAM the hell out of it of course!

Isn't this all a little disingenous. Come on we all are out there looking for every avenue to promote our business. We know we can go too far, but most of us take risks to get to a potential customer. If were good we also try to upsell our customers to the latest greatest new electric or LED message center. Which in reality the local zoning boards consider just a bigger type of "spam". But we know our customers will reach even more of their customer base with that new equipment. When they do they are happy and keep coming back to us.

I appreciate the ISA reps comments but as she said she does not work in convention planning. In fact those that do work in ISA convention planning probably could not tell you the difference between a sandblast sign and a neon sign. Their not in the sign business. ISA makes a large bulk of their funding through their yearly convention. How many emails did you get for 2 months before the show urging you to be there. Why, because this year ISA was desperate. The downturn in the economy scared them to death. By the time this years show is taking place they are selling booth space for next years show. With a bad economy they were scared that many would not attend. They make promises to the vendors who lay down thousands of dollars for a 10x10 booth, plus display costs, shipping, addons to the convention center for electric hookups, etc. hotels, meals, wining and dining. ISA will tell them "hey we had 20,000 attendees last year. Next year will be better". If it's not they will have a hard time getting little Shangzou LED LTD to drop 20k to get his equipment and people over here for the next years show. Especially and believe it or not he has other options for shows then ISA. Whatever vendor it is will want the most advertising exposure for his dollar. And that means as with every convention out there a demand for the attendee list. Scanning your badge just means you showed a little more interest then the next guy, but just by the fact you attended the show and walked the aisles makes you more interested then joe blow on the street. The vendor has a right to feel entitled to that information. And ISA convention planners are going to keep the vendors happy. Fewer vendor booths means fewer attendees next year(No one likes a dead show). Fewer attendees means fewer booths. It's a "vicious" business cycle(add over the top scottish accent here). ISA and the vendor is willing to risk irritating 100 or so sign shops with spam for 2 or 3 sales. Doesn't sound like much but for 15k to 20k attendees the sales add up and the exposure makes them ligitimate companies if only in their minds. Do the math. Figure average $2000.00 per booth set up(it's probably more) times 400 or so vendors. Add the number of attendees times the entry fee, plus siminar fees, and you get up there in the millions real fast. It's not chump change.

But it is business. Hey I get queezy seeing my name and address plastered in the white pages. I have a choice, go unlisted. But I would never give up my business listings no matter what strange calls I sometimes get. It's worth it for the few good customers that come my way. Everytime you type in Google, Yahoo, ebay, etc. they can tell you the last 5 or so web addresses you've been to. What your interests are, and what you might be shopping for. It is definitly Big Brother watching. They have become the biggest companies around because power comes through information. He who controls the information wins. That is just business. We may not like it, but in reality we do the same thing with our customers everyday. Have you never had one customer come in and you recommend he see ole so and so down the road that just opened up and might need his services. Yea thats the same thing. That pat on the back you hope will come back good to you. ISA is just doing it on a bigger level.

Myself I just hit delete. It's no different then skipping the ads in the the newspaper, or turning down the volume during commercials. No I am not going to admit to buying Enzyte when their commercials interrupt the game. But someone must be. Otherwise they would not keep showing them.

Eric

sorry but your wrong :P

Hey it's your original post. You are free to see it how you want. I respect that completely. But in reality that's what freedom is all about. The last I knew thats what a forum is suppose to be about. I generally stay off these. It seems that every BB ever created for the sign industry ends up being controled by like minded individuals not open to differences. If everyone agrees then nobody learns a new perspective. That's what got the Nazi's in trouble and every other dictatorial, or "supremacy of idea" societies since then.