ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Negative - Who wins - Who loses

Negative vs. Positive  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Do you work better in a Negative or Positive Atmosphere?

• Negative
    • Positive

I keep thinking that one day I'm going to jump in to this site and people will have positive things to say - to each other - about each other - but it never seems to happen.

So, I thought I'd ask all of you regulars to the site - Why? - is this website really just about letting off steam? What makes it so appealing to slam everyone when all the companies are struggling in this economy - pick each other up - praise what is good...

Can you think of 5 things right this minute you are grateful for? - Right now - Right this minute!

Interesting. I'll post here later on why I started this site and what it is to me, but I'm curious on how others perceive The Sign Syndicate, and what it is for them

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

• Board Patron

I see lots of positives on this site!!!! Negative things happen to negative people

You are surely not on here very much or you would see us help each other out many times

#1 I am grateful for my freedom of speech!

Edited by chubbygumby

Installation & Maintenance Services

Brian Phillips | expresssignandneon@sbcglobal.net | P. 812-882-3278

Express Sign & Neon | 119 S. 15th Street - Vincennes - IN 47591

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

I see it as a postive site as well. I learn a lot and its nice to have a group of people that I can ask questions if I get stumped on something. I think its like a lot of sites. People tend to be more blunt when they can do so online. for all the healthy discussions everyone seemed like family on the photos of the meetings...d

I am grateful for finally working for and with great people. I didnt realize that I had been in a bad environment until I got to this one...

• Board Patron
I see it as a postive site as well. I learn a lot and its nice to have a group of people that I can ask questions if I get stumped on something. I think its like a lot of sites. People tend to be more blunt when they can do so online. for all the healthy discussions everyone seemed like family on the photos of the meetings...d

I am grateful for finally working for and with great people. I didnt realize that I had been in a bad environment until I got to this one...

very well said Doug! thanks!

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

• Board Patron

I've always thought this site is positive. I've seen lots of people with questions get them answered here. You gotta remember, the 'net makes it possible for all kinds of people to post, so don't judge a site by one or two threads.... especially when anyone can register multiple user profiles (mups) on a site. Mups suck, but this site doesn't!

I'm grateful for

the love of God

the health of my family

my low savings account (I saved enough to get my car serviced recently)

the food in my freezer (even the stuff I don't like)

my almost finished kitchen!

honest people

everyone with a sense of humor

I could go on........ and on...... one of the hazards of thinking positive, I guess!

• !llumenati
I keep thinking that one day I'm going to jump in to this site and people will have positive things to say - to each other - about each other - but it never seems to happen.

So, I thought I'd ask all of you regulars to the site - Why? - is this website really just about letting off steam? What makes it so appealing to slam everyone when all the companies are struggling in this economy - pick each other up - praise what is good...

Can you think of 5 things right this minute you are grateful for? - Right now - Right this minute!

Glenda - its's only because I know you so well that I'll respond. You should know that on any forum ---I should say any forum that actually exchanges information and ideas---there are going to be some hot heads, some weird statements, some pointed fingers, and some really good information shared. Now, granted, there are forums out there that are for sharing good thoughts, and some, like LinkedIn that afford people to network, say hi, ask questions ---- expecting nothing more than an answer. Well, personally, I like this site. Answers get to be weeded out as for truth and veracity --------- led mfgs and neon people have to "speak the truth", and sign companies that have bad reps in the industry have to realize that "bad" does get around. Eric doesn't allow companies to outright slandered ---------- but IF the occasion rises, as you can see, that bills aren't paid, and small sign companies are left high and dry ---------well, that should be known. You're lucky in that you live in the civilized world of one of the better known, better run companies that actually pay their bills. Some would call that a sheltered life --------- many small companies don't get the privilege of dealing with your company like I did for many years. And your company should be commended. But this site does offer alot ----- to the small shops, and such that want to learn. They want to learn about leds, neon, why put neon in this site, and why put led's in that location -------- they can learn it here. For those shops that totally misconstrue the rhyme and reason of loading neon, or why signs fall off walls ---------- this is a pretty good site. For large companies ------ they can call the "experts" in and have a free forall at the conference table. For small companies --------- this just might be the closest thing they can get to getting a mfg ear, or being able to sort out the chafe from the good stuff. This is a site ---------- and you might have to trust me on this ------ we truly have some experts in their fields!! Some don't get on as often as we'd like --------- but when the vocal members of this forum can go to a tradeshow and ALL of the vendors know this site, what was talked about, that their name was mentioned, that their product was mentioned, asked what they can do to help without actually having to "put their name out there" ---- well, that says alot about this site. If you go to SignWEb, or Sign Industry ------- or even the NeonL - that in its heyday was pretty good ------------there is NOTHING going on on those sites.

Yes, once in awhile a topic goes overboard on this site ---------and after it runs its course, it gets shut down. Freedom of speech is here, but if you state something, you'd better be able to back it up---------. If you were to name a MAJOR sign company ---- they are on this site, and quite often I might add. If you were to name a smaller sign company -------- they either are here, or they learn after they find this site that they have missed alot of good shit.

Now as to being thankful -------------well, I'm NOT thankful that I'm not working. But, I am thankful that I have a decent type of health now, and thankful for folks like you that have tried to help me find a good home!!! And I'd be even more thankful if you'd sit back, read more of the good stuff on this site ------------- and PARTAKE with all of the knowledge and years of experience that YOU have !!!!!!!!!!!!

Stay well --------- say "hi" to all the folks back home!!

gn

Thank You Gary - and to all the other "GOOD GUYS" out there who stood up and let me know you are out there. I have not had the best luck in picking up on the right topics in the lead links...and we'll blame it on that. I'll keep looking for the positive.

And since I have been in the sign industry for 22 years now I would be most happy to answer questions I am qualified to answer.

I want this to be a win-win site and as previously stated - I'll look a little harder for the positive next time!

• !llumenati
Thank You Gary - and to all the other "GOOD GUYS" out there who stood up and let me know you are out there. I have not had the best luck in picking up on the right topics in the lead links...and we'll blame it on that. I'll keep looking for the positive.

And since I have been in the sign industry for 22 years now I would be most happy to answer questions I am qualified to answer.

I want this to be a win-win site and as previously stated - I'll look a little harder for the positive next time!

You missed my point --------- I would rather you join in ------- rather than "look". And folks if you need any help in advice for scheduling, project managing, etc, etc ------- she's the lady. And I assume that you skipped telling about all the years you followed your mom down to the shop-------------? Course if we included all those years we'd be telling your age------------.

Now ---------- if you want to do your company a BIG favor -------- check out the Great White Hope, and see how all the leds are doing in battle---friendly, of course------and who the winners AND losers are. And as you can tell there are some major companies that are losing that battle --------------. And can you believe it --- it isn't biased. Kinda a case of putting your money (or product) where your mouth is. Same with the new ones on plex types and how they relate to light output. Check out the REAL numbers for light output, and energy, and the widely varied COLORS that show up --------- trying, and I repeat, TRYING to beat out the beautiful NEON !!!!

Oh yeah -------- enjoy......................and next time, you'll have to drag your ____ to the ISA show and meet some of these great people in person.

gn

I would love to be the go-to-person on many subjects. I guess being around the sign industry 22(+) years (shush Gary) - I am more than willing & usually capable of providing answers.

thank you and have a great evening!

I have a certain take on this, don't know if it helps or not.

Among male baboons socialization with other male baboons mainly consists of teeth baring and yowling. The louder yowl and more menacing teeth usually wins. Occasionally there is biting and then the "loser" quits when he doesn't want to get bit any more. This establishes rank and the lower ranking males generally don't get the alpha females. (Plus the other monkeys seem to like to kick his ass all the time.) The older males can't yowl as loud any more but find other activities (than competing for the alpha females).

The females on the other hand generally engage in nit-picking and hair cleaning and stroking when socializing with other females. We THINK this is done in order to rise in rankings among females, since lower ranking females more often seek out higher ranking females. But rank among females amongst each other is not generally dependent on violence or biting power, but rather by matrilineal heredity or stroking up the ladder.

Cross gender socialization seems to purpose toward mating and protection of infants and newborns.

The analogy to this websites clique (used in a neutral sense) is that 1) males are more apt to engage in what you called negative behavior. I'm not going to tell so and so his shirt is nice looking. This never occurs to me. But females on the other hand do this alot in my experience. The clique is male dominated in my perception as it stands. 2) Males are less apt to use the so called "negative behavior" with females. Notice you started the thread with a negative bent but no one pointed this out. So the solution is that you gals have to be willing to put in your two cents more often about the function and interdynamics of the sign business. In 22 yrs I'm sure you have opinions and perceptions worth hearing. This is a male dominated clique for now, but it doesn't have to be. There is a cross gender barrier which I believe makes women hesitate to speak out here. But it is not our fault that the sign business doesn't involve sex or babies. We would welcome your input, believe us. As a guilty party who has certainly engaged in negative behavior on this site although I don't consider myself part of the clique, I state that it is not an ideal state of reality (the website).

• !llumenati

Well, that was truly one of your more interesting posts --- never quite thought of it in that sense. Hard to tell by the monikers used whether some are male or female --- but we actually have a fair amount of women in the sign business, and a fair amount of women that actually participate on this list --------------. And some of thsoe have been known to "bite" back hard ------------ and other times its dominant males like myself that are more for "love" -------------and tranquility.......................

gn

• !llumenati

I am thankful for this site because every word you type does not get analized for a hidden agenda. Meeting people you talk to on line or the phone at he show is the best. Erik is the perfect person for starting a site like this. If you have never met him and Kgirl you really should. 2 down to earth people with a great sense of humor. This is a great networking site. I think more people should post and not just be lurkers. Everyone has something they can share to possible help others. The nicest thing is that it is 24/7.

5 things I am grateful for is

1) my 2 sons

2)my wife

3) my abilities

4) my cancer has not come back yet

5A) Knowing one day I will get to move out of this over crowded, over priced, tax ridden state.

5B) being able to fish at any hour of the day or night.

GOOD things happen for a reason......

I have a certain take on this, don't know if it helps or not.

Among male baboons socialization with other male baboons mainly consists of teeth baring and yowling. The louder yowl and more menacing teeth usually wins. Occasionally there is biting and then the "loser" quits when he doesn't want to get bit any more. This establishes rank and the lower ranking males generally don't get the alpha females. (Plus the other monkeys seem to like to kick his ass all the time.) The older males can't yowl as loud any more but find other activities (than competing for the alpha females).

The females on the other hand generally engage in nit-picking and hair cleaning and stroking when socializing with other females. We THINK this is done in order to rise in rankings among females, since lower ranking females more often seek out higher ranking females. But rank among females amongst each other is not generally dependent on violence or biting power, but rather by matrilineal heredity or stroking up the ladder.

Cross gender socialization seems to purpose toward mating and protection of infants and newborns.

The analogy to this websites clique (used in a neutral sense) is that 1) males are more apt to engage in what you called negative behavior. I'm not going to tell so and so his shirt is nice looking. This never occurs to me. But females on the other hand do this alot in my experience. The clique is male dominated in my perception as it stands. 2) Males are less apt to use the so called "negative behavior" with females. Notice you started the thread with a negative bent but no one pointed this out. So the solution is that you gals have to be willing to put in your two cents more often about the function and interdynamics of the sign business. In 22 yrs I'm sure you have opinions and perceptions worth hearing. This is a male dominated clique for now, but it doesn't have to be. There is a cross gender barrier which I believe makes women hesitate to speak out here. But it is not our fault that the sign business doesn't involve sex or babies. We would welcome your input, believe us. As a guilty party who has certainly engaged in negative behavior on this site although I don't consider myself part of the clique, I state that it is not an ideal state of reality (the website).

What FUN - you guys are quite unique...and I'm glad to be counted as one of the 'sign guys' out there - I love the Alpha Male & Alpha Female comparisons here - - I don't bite, but I do have a tendancy to want to defend...which is why I was looking for the 'positives' on the site.

Thank you - Very much - I'll stay better informed & better in my awareness of the rest of the site.

My 5 things I'm thankful for -

1 - That there is a God who loved me when I didn't deserve it - and that love is unconditional (sorry that's all One)

2 - That I have a church to go to filled with my brothers & sisters

3 - That He gave me a wonderful & loving husband

4 - That He has given me wonderful children

5 - That He has given me 3 grandbabies and another one expected any day now.

Sign off - Granny!

I've found the site largely positive, though the occasional throwing if mud helps to both liven things up and actually get certain things out in the open. Since the departure of he who shall remain nameless, it really hasn't been bad at all. Of course, I've been on forums where sex and religion and politics are the topics, so the little disputes that crop up here are naturally tame in comparison.

I've found the site largely positive, though the occasional throwing if mud helps to both liven things up and actually get certain things out in the open. Since the departure of he who shall remain nameless, it really hasn't been bad at all. Of course, I've been on forums where sex and religion and politics are the topics, so the little disputes that crop up here are naturally tame in comparison.

Between me & thee - who is "he who shall remain nameless"? Never mind - I can tell you aren't going to reveal that...thank you for the response...I am looking and searching out for the positive...

Between me & thee - who is "he who shall remain nameless"? Never mind - I can tell you aren't going to reveal that...thank you for the response...I am looking and searching out for the positive...

Search no further, you have found that shining light unto thee, where there was once darkness and misery now radiates that bright light of knowledge that sends goosebumps running all over your body.

He who must not be named

voldemort.jpg

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

• Board Patron
Search no further, you have found that shining light unto thee, where there was once darkness and misery now radiates that bright light of knowledge that sends goosebumps running all over your body.

He who must not be named

voldemort.jpg

High voltage spreading it on thick!!!!! LOL :P

Hey you don't have a scar on your forehead do you?

Edited by chubbygumby

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

5 Things positive about this site:

1. It is a resource that allows you to brainstorm with industry pros on how to solve a problem without having to hire people to do the job - saves money.

2. People on this site let their "professional" side go and treat you and tell you like it is - it is neat to get some honesty.

3. It is a way of protecting people and their businesses from being screwed over - to me that is a huge positive...nobody needs to get hurt.

4. It replaces water cooler and coffee machine conversations - we all use to build everything but now so much is subcontracted and our company walls have expanded. It is neat to sit by the virtual water cooler/coffee machine and not have to pay for Sparkletts water or lots of bad coffee.

5. This website has helped me travel less - because travelling just sucks these days. Sure we all have email but this site allows us to sit around a table or bar and not only share what we know but get other ideas. Now if you want to come to Las Vegas - we would love to take you out for a nice night - we at Axiom are good enterainers in the town we love. So this site cut our travel cost.

And for the record some people on this sight are "positively" challenging, and others are "positively" sarcastic...so what am I missing? Lots of positive!!!

And no....I do not own this site. It is owned by Erik and his lovely wife.

It's not that I'm trying to hide anything (or Erik or anyone else who jokes about this person), but to specifically name someone who made a decision to leave the SignSyndicate on less than amicable terms would serve no real purpose, and could attract this person undeserved attention.

I'm not going to be the one that pokes this particular sleeping bear. Things are just fine here without him.

It's not that I'm trying to hide anything (or Erik or anyone else who jokes about this person), but to specifically name someone who made a decision to leave the SignSyndicate on less than amicable terms would serve no real purpose, and could attract this person undeserved attention.

I'm not going to be the one that pokes this particular sleeping bear. Things are just fine here without him.

What I think is funny is that someone recently was shown the CAO LED system versus ours and they said it didnt even compare...maybe they can post something about that...

That person seems to have dissapeared.

or their is the other one whose company was acquired - he is gone too.