ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Honesty in Sign Industry Trade Magazine Articles, Part II

Erik Sine

• Board Patron

you would think they would read the posts about her and make some changes... but Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Installation & Maintenance Services

Brian Phillips | expresssignandneon@sbcglobal.net | P. 812-882-3278

Express Sign & Neon | 119 S. 15th Street - Vincennes - IN 47591

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• !llumenati
you would think they would read the posts about her and make some changes... but Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Just as we don't have proof that she's an academic either ....................

gn

Edited by High Voltage

• Board Patron
Just as we don't have proof that she's an academic either ....................

gn

just speculation on my part

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

• !llumenati
just speculation on my part

That's my point - that's somebody's daughter. She's doing a job, albeit not as well as we'd like, and obviously from a different perspective than what we share. Personally, I'd love to have a sit down with her and see from where she is coming with her views. Many think of the sign business as a commodity item - and as such, can be done by anybody. No different from the perspective of the vinyl crowd --------- and realistically, a metal letter is a metal letter is a metal letter. It's not the separate parts of a sign that make our industry unique --- it's the completed sign and its relevance to the customer, the client, and to the area businesses that is hard for some to understand............

gn

They need to drop the Fraggle with the pom poms and get someone who is from "in" the industry, the articles come off like a used car salesmen pitch. It's always the same article written in a different way regurgitated year after year. They should not be plugging in someone into that position who is obviously not from this field and tell us how "our" industry is.

Here is probably the reason why we read what we do read when we have the time

Amanda McGrory

Staff Writer for Sign & Digital Graphics Magazine and Freelance Writer

Experience

Staff Writer at National Business Media

July 2008 - Present (1 year 2 months)

Writer - Marketing and Corporate Communications at HealthTrans

September 2006 - July 2008 (1 year 11 months)

• Wrote copy and developed concepts for brochures, pamphlets, Web site and other marketing

collateral.

• Established a monthly employee newsletter that provides consistent company-wide

communication. Responsible for layout, editing and writing.

• Wrote responses to RFPs, RFIs and surveys from clients, TPAs and brokers

• Project managed all communication to clients during our major data center transition.

• Organized and oversaw company sponsored flu shot clinics in providing medication for those in

need

Marketing Intern at Art Center of Waco

January 2006 - May 2006 (5 months)

• Wrote news releases, advertisements, grant proposals and newsletter articles.

• Developed a cost effective public relations plan through careful budgeting and negotiations.

• Maintained steady relationships with media outlets and the Waco community.

Public Relations Intern at Habitat for Humanity

May 2005 - August 2005 (4 months)

• Headed an advertising campaign raising money for various local non-profits.

• Wrote and edited advertisements, grant proposals, letters, articles and news releases that

attracted media attention.

• Assisted in planning a major fundraiser and redeveloped local relationships through the process.

Education

Baylor University

B.A., Journalism and History, 2001 - 2006

Interests

Writing, corporate communications, marketing, public relations, advertising

We're seen and reading from an advertising major here

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

• !llumenati

Okay, she got a degree, worked some places, and got a job. She writes articles. Obviously she writes the kind of articles that her bosses wants her to write ------------.

Standing invitation for her -------- if she comes to Chicago, I'd love to sit down over dinner and discuss her article and scope of her writings.

Think she'd take me up on it???

gn

Okay, she got a degree, worked some places, and got a job. She writes articles. Obviously she writes the kind of articles that her bosses wants her to write ------------.

Standing invitation for her -------- if she comes to Chicago, I'd love to sit down over dinner and discuss her article and scope of her writings.

Think she'd take me up on it???

gn

You're just looking for a date! you smooozer! :P

I would think that after the Date, errrrrrrr......Dinner appointment, that she would be inclined to agree with you. After all it's hard to fight fact and logic. As you said, they are told what to write. It's too bad there are a lot of bad inner politics going on in these industry magazines between the technical columnists who report on facts and present in their columns with the "bosses" who don't wan them presented because it contradicts their infomercial articles put on to promote their advertising base. This is why we see a decline and unhappiness with these writers in most of the magazines. Of course we will never read about it or hear about it. Well you will here!

The real dinner would have to be with the Puppet Master himself, the wizard of Oz behind the curtain. Only then could you get to the "root" of it all and see the complicated web of it all. Will you sway their mind, BIG FAT CHANCE! Money dictates it all, not honest real journalism which is sad. I would like to be at your dinner date with the puppeteer too.

fragglepuppeteer.jpg

I'll actually start giving credit and believing these so called trade magazines once they start articles like our board projects, "The Great White Hope".

I've talked to a few editors who initially showed interest in doing so on our GWH, but once their conference came with their "bosses" (A.K. Wizard of Oz) of whom they had to get permission I never heard back or got a returned call or email correspondence. I even went so far as to leave the door open in a way where no real results would be announced but just how average light degradation takes plae and how ambient temps can affect different light sources differently, leaving more to ponder and not to call anyone out by name.

Poor Fraggles, it's not their fault, they just don't have the pull.

I wonder what kind of slack that Marcus Thelein guy must get and how much he is being told to edit.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

• Board Patron

sorry Gary but I have to agree 110% with Eric here. That chick has to "know" somebody to write that mundane shit and still have a job.

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

• !llumenati
sorry Gary but I have to agree 110% with Eric here. That chick has to "know" somebody to write that mundane shit and still have a job.

That wasn't what Eric said--------she's doing a job that is approved by her bosses.

• Board Patron
That wasn't what Eric said--------she's doing a job that is approved by her bosses.

exactly it's approved because there is a relationship there somehow

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

• !llumenati

Who says the people that are approving it are anymore educated in what they are proof reading or just trying to fill the mag with stuff.

GOOD things happen for a reason......

As a monthly columnist for S&DG (A Signmakers Journal), I can assure you I know what I'm talking about.....26 years worth. I've been a bit busy and have never seen this Fraggle you're talking about...which issue & what page can I find it? As for the other monthly columnists, there are quite a few that have as much experience and more than myself. Yes we do get paid, and if you have such an abundance of knowledge to impart, and can write and communicate it to others then I'm sure you could get paid to pontificate as well. Just remember....it's a monthly commitment with deadlines that don't care about your workload.

post-3307-1251147134.jpg

• Board Patron
As a monthly columnist for S&DG (A Signmakers Journal), I can assure you I know what I'm talking about.....26 years worth. I've been a bit busy and have never seen this Fraggle you're talking about...which issue & what page can I find it? As for the other monthly columnists, there are quite a few that have as much experience and more than myself. Yes we do get paid, and if you have such an abundance of knowledge to impart, and can write and communicate it to others then I'm sure you could get paid to pontificate as well. Just remember....it's a monthly commitment with deadlines that don't care about your workload.

You write for "sign and digital graphics" and you don't know who Amanda McGrory is? Do you read the mag you write for? Just wondering

As far as the monthly commitment...don't take on things you can't handle

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

• Board Patron

wow, k.....did some brief homework, read the past thread link......I'm now wondering why any of these people associated never reply back??

wow, k.....did some brief homework, read the past thread link......I'm now wondering why any of these people associated never reply back??

Indeed, but I welcome them.

exactly it's approved because there is a relationship there somehow

Unless you have some sort of proof, you can't go throwing shit like this out there.

If the so-called "expert" writers were putting misleading stuff out it would be another story and you'd have every right to think they're holding something back or have a personal interest in whats being written.

There's no point getting on Amanda's case - she's doing exactly what her employer is asking. She never claimed to be a long time industry expert and writes "staff articles" in a easy to read, company approved manner. There's no reason to start throwing mud at her just because you don't like the content.

I think I need to merge this thread with the other that I linked earlier, "Honestly in trade magazines"

I don't know her relationship to her job, nor care to guess. I didn't see anything this month that sends the wrong message nor anything damaging. Frankly, I'm quite relieved hoping it stays that way. For a while anyway.

IMHO the most important part to all this is the fact that a lot of these (not all) articles are just "filling" to make their advertising base relationships happy. Sort of like what Budweiser does to create their beer, they put in all that sugar as a filler just to make more out of the batch. In the end, it just makes you fat. :P

Misleading? Most certainly in the articles I refer too. She is a paid employee of the magazine and certainly the face of the magazine in her articles, she greatly reflects the company or publisher she works for when they choose her. She doesn't have to write or work for her master(s), or pick up a paycheck (there is a reason why I refer to a Fraggle)

I think Randy who chimed in earlier who has the years experience he does, would be very hesitant to write about something or make a statement in one of his articles that wasn't true or exaggerated given his expertise. I don't know him from a hole in the wall and haven't looked up his articles he's written, but if he did his credibility would be gone.

I haven't spent the time to review the Fraggle's articles in the past other than the "Wholesale channel letter" article she wrote and maybe one other, WHICH I think was so piss poor, irresponsible and very bad for our trade. She shares that reputation with the magazine, they could have written a part II on safety, what's required to handle & install, rebuke the idea that "anyone can/should do it" etc etc etc as I suggested to them. But, they don' care, or do they?

In the past I've always said here that I will always take the advice of another tradesmen or tradeswomen over what's written in a magazine or supplier BECAUSE they are dictated by their advertisers or by who they supply & sell.

I'll start giving more credit to these trade magazines when they start doing more Investigative, or Bold journalism, and not the usual "reach arounds to all" infomercial articles just to please their base types and be kissy kissy. Let's see articles on "Green Eco Ink Real? or B.S.", "The Over Saturation of the Novice Sign Maker and how it kills our trade" (Because of our commodity selling point), "What products REALLY work, and which ones are a waste of time"

There are only a select few columnists of whom I respect, not all have first hand experience in the field. I would like to know however, how much their hands have been tied, what they were asked to edit out or what "not" to write in order to keep their friendships of advertisers or "potential" advertisers.

This is what makes this website so unique compared to the rest of the trade communication. They will be insistent on telling YOU what the trade IS based on how THEY perceive it or want to bend it. I'm just glad to say that, that old way is dying, everyone has a voice now, and better checks and balances can be created. We don't have to just hear and read what makes our trade any longer, we can now shape it ourselves and let others know about it. Most importantly, we can assign a certain accountability when they abuse their power of communication as a Trade Organization or Publisher

I will praise when they write something good, and hold them to it for something bad. I have nothing personal against the Fraggle(s), but there is good advice here from some of the members about some of these writers spending some time in a shop prior to writing "some" of these ridiculous articles.

Gary said it best IMO, they treat our trade as a commodity.

To many braves out there, not enough chiefs. Or so, that's how THEY want it(?).

• Board Patron
Unless you have some sort of proof, you can't go throwing shit like this out there.

If the so-called "expert" writers were putting misleading stuff out it would be another story and you'd have every right to think they're holding something back or have a personal interest in whats being written.

There's no point getting on Amanda's case - she's doing exactly what her employer is asking. She never claimed to be a long time industry expert and writes "staff articles" in a easy to read, company approved manner. There's no reason to start throwing mud at her just because you don't like the content.

The beautiful thing about this site is "I" can express "MY" views here the way I perceive (the proof in in the writing) things. You can agree with me or not, it makes no difference to me. That being said her articles are generic bull shit meant to be read by inexperienced people looking to get into the sign biz and make easy money. I mean hell look at all of us, we are millionaires that don't do a damn thing but sit around counting our money and reading articles about how easy the sign biz is and how you don't need any specialized training do do this stuff just some tools and a biz card...right? So If you can't read between the lines, let be be my usual self and say exactly what I am thinking (like me or not, you never have to guess what my true feelings are on a subject) I would like to know how someone with NO experience can write 5 articles in one mag this month that are all generic crap? I still say she must be friends with the powers that be or some relation to keep her job. Again just my opinion and I am saying what many others are thinking.

Edited by chubbygumby

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

The beautiful thing about this site is "I" can express "MY" views here the way I perceive (the proof in in the writing) things. You can agree with me or not, it makes no difference to me. That being said her articles are generic bull shit meant to be read by inexperienced people looking to get into the sign biz and make easy money. I mean hell look at all of us, we are millionaires that don't do a damn thing but sit around counting our money and reading articles about how easy the sign biz is and how you don't need any specialized training do do this stuff just some tools and a biz card...right? So If you can't read between the lines, let be be my usual self and say exactly what I am thinking (like me or not, you never have to guess what my true feelings are on a subject) I would like to know how someone with NO experience can write 5 articles in one mag this month that are all generic crap? I still say she must be friends with the powers that be or some relation to keep her job. Again just my opinion and I am saying what many others are thinking.

Brian, please don't sugar coat it, tell us what you really think! :thumbs:

They are now requiring all installers in Arkansas to be lisenced, so it's not that anyone can install signs, not in Arkansas anyway!! They are also requiring you to be certified to operate a forklift!! And before you can hook electricity up to your sign, you have to be lisenced for that too!! So it's not as easy as it may seem to an untrained eye!!!