ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

MET Labs & U.L. now competing for your business

MET vs UL  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What will you be doing come January?

• I prefer U.L. and will stay put
    • I Will be choosing to go with MET
    • Don't know

Now with MET Laboratories hitting the electric sign industry and competing with U.L. for your business, come January when UL annual renewals are due will you be making the jump over to MET?

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

Now with MET Laboratories hitting the electric sign industry and competing with U.L. for your business, come January when UL annual renewals are due will you be making the jump over to MET?

Read the fine print folks - MET labs says if you have any violation they can drop you instantly. Whereas with UL they work through your violation.

Careful folks. Be very careful.

Any laboratory can drop anyone of their clients who don't follow the standards, signs or otherwise.

There are a lot of shops I wish UL WOULD drop, but that will never happen, a lot of sign companies can attest to this too.

I'm sure there is good money to be made for those who don't produce electric signs to the safe standards from fines & extra repeat visits.

Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever heard of a sign shop losing their status from deviating from the standards.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

Any laboratory can drop anyone of their clients who don't follow the standards, signs or otherwise.

There are a lot of shops I wish UL WOULD drop, but that will never happen, a lot of sign companies can attest to this too.

I'm sure there is good money to be made for those who don't produce electric signs to the safe standards from fines & extra repeat visits.

Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever heard of a sign shop losing their status from deviating from the standards.

My comments came after a discussion with someone pretty knowledgeable at UL. Hopefully he will post here.

It will be difficult for some end customers to get energy rebates through utility companies if products are not "UL Listed"

Doesnt make a lot of sense, but there is much in this world that does not.

We need all the competition we can get.

I hope they do post something here, and I'd like to see the response by Phil from MET.

On the rebates, that's something I'd like to see too.

Rebate programs by the energy companies in it's self is something that as been lacking, and a lot of programs are getting dropped like ugly girlfriends. They have one here in San Diego, and so far no ones been using it (They even called me to ask why). For a short period of time there was the T-12 to T-8 change out, but that was short lived. They also have, the LED retrofit program for channel letters, BIG problem with that is the fact that they will only rebate two linear feet of LED modules at $10 bucks per foot per letter (average sign is about 5-6 linear feet at least).

For a 15 letter sign you can only expect to get $300.00. Well that won't pay for very much, and it would take you 10-15 years to make that money back in some sort of savings which I can't see after labor and material costs. They need to improve these programs if they expect to see anyone trying to take advantage of them, AND, make it for neon electronic transformers too!

Now that I think about it, rebate programs for signs are a big joke anyway. The problem with energy companies, are well, energy companies. California would be a much less expensive place to live if we can get rid of the Birkenstock wearing, BO smelling, tree hugging hippies that prevent us from building more power plants such as Nuclear here in California, and let us drill off shore. That way we don't have the most retarded programs like "Demand Response" that we do here in CA. Bottom line with Signs is the fact that they don't consume very much electricity as it is when you start doing your own calculating. A average sized retail shop will look to pay about $100-$175 a year for the signs energy consumption, and that's with a magnetic transformer or ballast. That's nothing compared to the rest of the overhead any business can expect to pay for the cost of doing business, and signs are one of the most important sales tools to have.

Yes, I went off on a tangent. This means I'm tired. I'm off to bed!

Already making the change to Met Lab