ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Sign installation code

Does anyone know of a government backed sign installation code? I looked at the state level and found nothing pertaining to sign installations. The reason I'm asking is, we recently completed and installed a 4' x 6' projected sign. As standard in this type of installation(at least in my 20 years of experience). We added to guy wires for additional support. The city had originally approved the sign permit application, but now says that their code does not allow guy wires. The suspension cables were not shown in the drawing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

post-1122-1257260263.jpg

post-1122-1257260281.jpg

post-1122-1257260308.jpg

post-1122-1257260376.jpg

Does anyone know of a government backed sign installation code? I looked at the state level and found nothing pertaining to sign installations. The reason I'm asking is, we recently completed and installed a 4' x 6' projected sign. As standard in this type of installation(at least in my 20 years of experience). We added to guy wires for additional support. The city had originally approved the sign permit application, but now says that their code does not allow guy wires. The suspension cables were not shown in the drawing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It's not exactly on topic, but the 2006 International Building Code, Appendix H (Signs), Section H112 (Projecting Signs) does speak to the subject of Attachment of Supports and mentions supporting chains, guys, or steel rods.

However, the first sentence of Appendix H reads "The provisions contained in this appendix are not mandatory unless specifically referenced in the adopting ordinance." Unfortunately, I can't cut-and-paste the pages of the IBC because it is a copyrighted publication of the International Code Council. And I have no idea if Minnesota has adopted the 2006 building code in general or Appendix H specifically. (Many states only update their codes every 2nd or 3rd international code cycle)

It's not exactly on topic, but the 2006 International Building Code, Appendix H (Signs), Section H112 (Projecting Signs) does speak to the subject of Attachment of Supports and mentions supporting chains, guys, or steel rods.

However, the first sentence of Appendix H reads "The provisions contained in this appendix are not mandatory unless specifically referenced in the adopting ordinance." Unfortunately, I can't cut-and-paste the pages of the IBC because it is a copyrighted publication of the International Code Council. And I have no idea if Minnesota has adopted the 2006 building code in general or Appendix H specifically. (Many states only update their codes every 2nd or 3rd international code cycle)

Thank you!

Attached is my response to the building official

Nate, I need to talk to you about this sign. There are a few issues with it: 1) thickness 2) spot/beacon light which was not shown on submitted plans 3) electrical permit has not been issued 4) the use of guy wires to support signs is prohibited per code. There is a guy wire supporting this sign, and this was not shown on the plan. If the sign cannot be supported without the use of a guy wire, I suggest it either comes down or it needs to be rescaled.

I don't have your phone number, so if you could give me a call, I would appreciate it.

I have been made aware that the down lighting fixture is not permitted. It will be removed. I did not contract the electrician, The client did. The electrician will be responsible for pulling the electrical permit. I forwarded him the permit application, weeks prior to the sign installation. This sign is self-supporting, without the guy wires. They are merely a safety factor for winds. This is a standard installation technique for projected signs, regardless of their size. We were simply following the national building code which states.

SECTION H112 PROJECTING SIGNS

H112.1 General. Projecting signs shall be constructed entirely of metal or other noncombustible material and securely attached to a building or structure by metal supports such as bolts, anchors, supports, chains, guys or steel rods. Staples or nails shall not be used to secure any projecting sign to any building or structure. The dead load of projecting signs not par- allel to the building or structure and the load due to wind pres- sure shall be supported with chains, guys or steel rods having net cross-sectional dimension of not less than 3/8 inch (9.5 mm) diameter. Such supports shall be erected or maintained at an angle of at least 45 percent (0.78 rad) with the horizontal to resist the dead load and at angle of 45 percent (0.78 rad) or more with the face of the sign to resist the specified wind pres- sure. If such projecting sign exceeds 30 square feet (2.8 m2) in one facial area, there shall be provided at least two such sup- ports on each side not more than 8 feet (2438 mm) apart to resist the wind pressure.

H112.2 Attachment of supports. Supports shall be secured to a bolt or expansion screw that will develop the strength of the supporting chains, guys or steel rods, with a minimum 5/8 inch (15.9 mm) bolt or lag screw, by an expansion shield. Turn buck- les shall be placed in chains, guys of steel rods supporting pro- jecting signs.

H112.3 Wall mounting details. Chains, cables, guys or steel rods used to support the live or dead load of projecting signs are permitted to be fastened to solid masonry walls with expansion bolts or by machine screws in iron supports, but such supports shall not be attached to an unbraced parapet wall. Where the supports rnust be fastened to walls made of wood, the supporting anchor bolts must go through the wall and be plated or fastened on the inside in a secure manner.