ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Inside the International Sign Association

Inside the International Sign Association

Tuesday, February 2, 2010, 6:12pm EST

Washington Business Journal

International Sign Association, a 2,600-member international trade group that supports, promotes and improves the sign industry, showed off its snazzy new headquarters in Alexandria.

ISA_1.jpg

Hickok Cole Architects designed its 15,000-square-foot office space, with concepts based on neon and the flow of light it creates. Graphic films on glass-front offices helped to provide direction through the space.

Designers accented the curves of the central reception desk with LED lighting, making it visible from both ends of the long, barbell-shaped space.

ISA_2.jpg

Its sliding door system by Frezza Wall -- which is cheaper than a traditional installation -- created enough space so that future offices and workstations can grow.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

Woooooow, Oh My! Plush! look at ISA, very nice!

"Built on concepts based on neon", But no Neon? If not, how come? It would be nice to show some off how energy efficient it can be on a electronic mixed with a dimmer.

What LED products, what make?

When's the next party?

• Like 1

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

• !llumenati

Good lord. If I were a dues paying member I would not be happy that my money is being spent on high-class architects and fancy offices....

One more reason I will never join ISA. as if I needed one.

Garett

Sincerely,

Garett Churchill

Fluxeon, Inc.

USA

• Board Patron

I love the look, it's very extravagant showing what the sign industry is all about. I wouldn't want a boring looking office.

As said in the beginning of the topic though, doesn't appear like neon is represented here. That's a :vio (1): for a lot of people I'm sure

• !llumenati

Hi Litegirl--

Here's the distinction as I see it. You and I can have our fantastic offices built by the snobbiest of architects. But we are only spending our OWN money! If a non-profit or charity or government does this kind of thing it is ultimately insulting to the people who supply the money.

But like I said, I am not really upset because they have not a dime from me. and never will at this rate!

Garett

Sincerely,

Garett Churchill

Fluxeon, Inc.

USA

I love the look, it's very extravagant showing what the sign industry is all about. I wouldn't want a boring looking office.

As said in the beginning of the topic though, doesn't appear like neon is represented here. That's a :vio (1): for a lot of people I'm sure

You are right – the new ISA offices are not boring! I should know – I work there. We are so fortunate as the space would not have been possible without the generous donations from many of our members. LED lighting, neon, wall graphics, window graphics and signage are all showcased and used in this beautiful but simple space. Without these contributions from ISA members the office would have been just walls – but now the headquarters for this industry portrays to our visitors just how awesome the industry really is. Please, whether you are an ISA member or not, come by and visit when you are in the area. For more information on our new offices, check out the 3 stories that ran in Signs of the Times – July 2008, May 2009 and November 2009.

I'm curious on products.

What did you do with neon, and what colors, application?

What LED's were used?

Do you have more pics? I only see the two, and would love to see more up lose shots of the LED and Neon work.

Don't be shy! Details details!

I'm curious on products.

What did you do with neon, and what colors, application?

What LED's were used?

Do you have more pics? I only see the two, and would love to see more up lose shots of the LED and Neon work.

I don't have any photos. (And those photos were taken by the architecture firm for marketing purposes)

I also don't know the details of the construction, as I wasn't involved in that process. Until this article was published, I didn't even know the name of the architect.

As to the locations, LEDs were used at the insert for the reception desk (blue) and the insert in the kitchen counter (green). Neon was used for the wall behind the reception desk (blue), the wall behind our sign by the front door (blue), and ceiling lighting next to the glass wall in two rooms (both green).

• !llumenati

Interesting that this crown jewel of fabulous offices is nowhere mentioned on their own web site. Maybe everyone is playing golf again...!

Garett

Sincerely,

Garett Churchill

Fluxeon, Inc.

USA

• Board Patron

I think it is absolutely ridiculous when non profit organizations blow OUR money on monuments to the administrators ego like this SHAME ON YOU!!!! ISA

Can you do a better job for the membership in a fancy office? Hell no!

Installation & Maintenance Services

Brian Phillips | expresssignandneon@sbcglobal.net | P. 812-882-3278

Express Sign & Neon | 119 S. 15th Street - Vincennes - IN 47591

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

I have mixed feelings about the whole elaborate office thing they have going on at HQ. I'm sure it's costly, maybe other things could have been done instead. Not sure how old all of this is either (blog post), or for how long the renovations have been going on for.

I'm not directing any of this at Kenny (Buckeye), I've met him and he's a very good guy with best intentions in his heart. Kenny's the ground infantry for the ISA, on the front line fighting city halls and politicians, not a guy in a office pushing a bunch of papers.

When I see this, I'm not sure how I would feel as a member (if I was) honestly, excited or disappointed, or neither. I get the LED's and some products were donated, but there is still labor involved and design fees etc.

I just hope it all can be used as "honest" tools to accomplish what it is that gets done over there and help "preserve" the trade. I don't work there and I don't keep up with what goes on, so I'm being hopeful. I hope there is a balance on what is displayed there with Neon & LED's (and others), hopefully each light source has a way of displaying just how efficient they can be used, when used right.

I say this because looking back at those past issues that were named off I noticed that the HQ was concerned about "Green". If I was coming over to the offices not being in the trade or as a entity for some sort of conference and all I saw were LED's for all these applications which could have also been neon/cold Cathode lighting it would probably sway me to think LED is the "Best" since I'm in the house of the biggest sign association there is, and because I'm going to assume they know their stuff. I hate the marketing statement of "Green", it's just "Marketing based on guilt", nothing more. But if we're going to call Green, Green for "Safe & Helpful to our society" then look no further, Neon and CFL's are just that because they are completely recyclable. There, that's my only real concern.

I think I will take you up on that invite Kenny, I just might be in your area this next fall. Would love to stop by, see the office and chat over lunch or something.

P.S. - I still want to know what products and colors used :scratchhead:

I really don't see the problem. Just because it is nicely designed it doesn't mean it's extravagant or wasteful. We're all in the business - is some shiny white paint, curved edges and halo lighting really that expensive? Are digital prints on the glass suddenly a luxury? We're talking white tiles on the floor and Ikea chairs beneath your typical drop ceiling.

The only thing that looks expensive is the MDF wall materials and even that is modest in comparison to the backlit stone my bank is surrounding elevators with in 44 stories of their new building.

I personally feel better giving money to someone who isn't sitting behind a 70's era steel desk with wood paneling on the walls - that goes for everything from my haircuts to my lawyer.

If anything, what we see in those pics is proof that with a little planning and taste, you can create something really nice looking for not a lot of investment, or even headache - aside from having to vacate during the work, which in this case would have been quick.

I think, if they are representing an entire industry, they need to look good. When they have people in and want to get their attention on important matters to the sign industry, they need to look good. If they were in a strip center and had junk junk equipment, that would give the impression that they were not really doing very well at representing a large industry. We live in a world that "Impression Is Everything", like it or not.

• Like 1

• !llumenati

Yes, I think they are not doing so well representing the industry. but they do look good!

I would prefer some bare-knuckle fighters than golfers. In all seriousness, they are of the go-along-to-get-along mentality, and I think that is a waste of time.

Just my disinterested opinion. done with this thread.

Garett

Sincerely,

Garett Churchill

Fluxeon, Inc.

USA

• Board Patron

you can create something really nice looking for not a lot of investment, or even headache -

Marko How do you know how little was spent? I haven't seen any figures on that have you?

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

• Board Patron

I think, if they are representing an entire industry, they need to look good. When they have people in and want to get their attention on important matters to the sign industry, they need to look good. If they were in a strip center and had junk junk equipment, that would give the impression that they were not really doing very well at representing a large industry. We live in a world that "Impression Is Everything", like it or not.

You can look good without looking like an bunch of arrogant asses!

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

I'm not a memebr and could care less what they spend. I was just making a statement about how it works in this world, at least in this country. But, I was commenting on a picture, I did'nt see any arrogant asses to approve or dis-approve of. I didn't see that in the picture.

• Board Patron

I'm not a memebr and could care less what they spend. I was just making a statement about how it works in this world, at least in this country. But, I was commenting on a picture, I did'nt see any arrogant asses to approve or dis-approve of. I didn't see that in the picture.

You missed the point totally

I don't think the majority of the membership would feel comfortable is an office space designed like that. So who does it cater to or represent?

Edited by chubbygumby

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

Wait - so because it looks nice, it makes them arrogant asses!?

I don't know how much or how little they spent - NEITHER DO YOU - I'm saying that just because it looks nice it doesn't mean it was expensive, and that we in the sign industry have a little insight into how much some millwork and halo lights might cost, which isn't that much.

Hardly something to go all commie over.

• Board Patron

Hardly something to go all commie over.

don't you EVER cal me a commie again!

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

What was it the guy said to Shaun Connery in the movie HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER? You "arrogant ass", you've killed us all!!

Edited by geraldi

• Board Patron

done... I don't give a shit if they blow all the membership cash on the damn thing. Look at the pic of the bar. Any self respecting sign guy I know would not be caught dead in a place like that!

Edited by chubbygumby

express%20neon%20sig.jpg