ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Permit Fees

I had a conversation recently and not going to say with who because not sure if I can at this point but anyway it reminded me of something.

The last few permits that I have pulled in small counties have asked the evaluation of the project and charge accordingly to their set formula, one even went so far as to demand a copy of the contract.

Do you think it's proper for a government agency to charge a tax, ERR permit fee based according to the value of a sign, or should it be based on a set structure?

The city of San Diego where I obtain most of my permits has a set charge for th sign type and how many inspection must take place and inspection type.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

• Board Patron

You usually have to get a business license when you pull a permit, and charge sales tax on certain products. Kinda odd that they ask for taxes on the sign. They are viewing the signage as improvements, which is usually taxable... but if you are already charging tax, then the client gets hit twice. Are they really improvements? or required to run a business? I don't get it.

• Board Patron

Usually the only time permit fees are value based around here is with remodel and other building permits. That is crazy that they are doing that with signs!

Installation & Maintenance Services

Brian Phillips | expresssignandneon@sbcglobal.net | P. 812-882-3278

Express Sign & Neon | 119 S. 15th Street - Vincennes - IN 47591

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

• Board Patron

We have a bazillion places we work, and so have a bazillion different permit issues. Oddly enough, only a few change according to the sign value, which is the same (in my mind) as a "luxury tax". The best places to work with have a minimal fee, one for each sign.

The thing that really p's me off is the "personal Property tax" we pay every year. The same set of desks/chairs/computers etc we have in our office is taxed based on it's depreciated value every year. That is just SO wrong!

Edited by HansonSigns

In this day of diminishing city revenues, it seems that communities are arbitrarily increasing permit fees, such that they can be perceived as a tax, not as the actual cost to administer the permit. High permit fees inflate the contract price, making signs more expensive to our customers merely because we choose to abide by the rules.

But there's one rule that helps those of us doing business in the State of California. Government Code Sections 66014, 66016 require that permit fees may not exceed the value of the service provided. Communities vary in the manner by which they levy fees; there's a flat fee, fees based on the value of the sign (as is the case you cite), or a combination of value and fees. (I remember that L.A. used to tell us what the value of the sign was based on their own appraisals for purposes of coming up with the fees and I wish I could've sold the damn sign for as much as they said it was worth.)

CA State law also provides a mechanism by which fees can be challenged. Gov. Code Section 66023 allows any person to request an audit for the fees charged (the cost for such is bourn by the requestor). Bottom line is that a jurisdiction cannot charge more in permit fees than the costs they incur to process, review and inspect the work covered under the permit.

• Board Patron

Toronto, Ontario, Canada has added a whole bunch on new charges, just another money grab. We are suppose to take out permits for graphic re-face jobs and window graphics. If you are a new tenant in a building with an existing sign, you need to renew the sign permit in your name. just a few examples of the bs we get now.

63 foot Elliott v60

50 foot 8 ton crane/auger

Skid steer with forks and dirt bucket

www.signworksinc.com

www.wehangsigns.com

Signworks Inc.
Toronto, Canada
416-653-7227
1-877-912-7446

• Board Patron

Toronto, Ontario, Canada has added a whole bunch on new charges, just another money grab. We are suppose to take out permits for graphic re-face jobs and window graphics. If you are a new tenant in a building with an existing sign, you need to renew the sign permit in your name. just a few examples of the bs we get now.

Here in our town if we change out faces we have to get a permit also

that is bullshit

Installation & Maintenance Services

Brian Phillips | expresssignandneon@sbcglobal.net | P. 812-882-3278

Express Sign & Neon | 119 S. 15th Street - Vincennes - IN 47591

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

Shame when pirate sign installers have the upper hand over those that go through the effort to get a permit. How can anyone compete with pricing that does not have the same cost factor? Suppose you'll be seeing a lot more "illegal" signage going up as the city's continue to let greed get in the way. I know plenty of legit sign companies that circumvent the city all together and simply install/repair/upgrade during hours when city inspectors are not trolling for dollars and never have an issue. Just like most rules, made to keep the honest guy honest...

Guest Signtiffic

I've dealt with nearly every municipality from coast to coast and there is one thing common amongst all of them:

Rarely anyone at the municipality know crap about signs...

It's all about revenue.

• Board Patron

we are asked the value, but I don't think it changes the price. Oversized will change it, then again we have had many screwed up unreasonable changes lately

63 foot Elliott v60

50 foot 8 ton crane/auger

Skid steer with forks and dirt bucket

www.signworksinc.com

www.wehangsigns.com

Signworks Inc.
Toronto, Canada
416-653-7227
1-877-912-7446

Up here we get charged by the inspection, but also are required to show the valuation of the project. The muni uses our valuation sheet to add to the property value of the customer for property taxes. I generally do a background check on the address before I draw to pre-flight wht a client can and cannot have. Our allowable signage is based on zoning and with the enormous areas of "grey" areas, its often a debate when pulling a permit with zoning.