ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

4 from North Haven co. busted for Milford mall sign collapse

Erik Sine

4 from North Haven co. busted for Milford mall sign collapse

Published: Friday, July 23, 2010 - New Haven Register

HARTFORD — A state investigation of a sign collapse at the Westfield Connecticut Post mall in Milford has led to the arrest of four people working for Sign Lite Inc. of North Haven.

The allegations are that unlicensed electrical sign work was performed or directed at the mall in July 2009, according to the investigation by the Department of Consumer Protection’s occupational enforcement unit .

Sign Lite installed a 220-pound sign for the clothing store PCX about a week before the sign fell July 13, 2009, taking with it about 200 feet of facade made of sheet metal-backed drywall, according to the police report. The facade was above store entrances inside the upper level of the mall. A person's arm and shoulder were injured from being hit by falling debris, the state said.

Kenneth Detulio, Richard Heller, Paul Snedeker and Shaun McCormick of Sign Lite Inc. a company at 6 Corporate Drive, North Haven, are to appear in Superior Court in Milford on Aug. 3 on charges of performing or directing unlicensed occupational trade work.

Detulio, the company vice president on Friday, however, disputed the claim that the sign caused what occurred and maintained that it was the wall that fell, bringing the sign with it.

"The wall was the reason the whole thing collapsed," Detulio maintained.

Detulio also said that he had not been aware of the requirement for the type of license the state now demands but company workers have since obtained it.

Last month, Milford police referred further investigation to the Department of Consumer Protection after finding, in consultation with a state prosecutor, that, “There was no criminal liability on Sign Lite Inc., except for state licensing requirements and the building permit violation.”

“Occupational licensing laws ensure competency in the construction of industrial, commercial and residential buildings,” Consumer Protection Commissioner Jerry Farrell Jr. said. “As demonstrated in this accident, unlicensed contractors put public health and safety in jeopardy,”

The state licensing process ensures that applicants have the necessary education and training for competency within the associated trade, the department said. In this case the work required a limited electrical sign contractor’s license.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

It's unfortunate this company got caught with it's pants down, but have you ever seen how these shopping center walls are built? Those cheesy alum studs and poorly secure methods, they can't hardly hold anything with real weight. Very unfortunate.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

• !llumenati

It's unfortunate this company got caught with it's pants down, but have you ever seen how these shopping center walls are built? Those cheesy alum studs and poorly secure methods, they can't hardly hold anything with real weight. Very unfortunate.

I understand - but can't tell the wall construction when its sealed up - why I'd love to see how many pics of how much wall came down. If there was no issues except the electrical - someone, like the builder, is going to be hauled in for the wall falling.

I had a similar experience happen to me a few years ago at a outside mall in Ocala FL. We were installing a set of CL's and a under canopy sign when the stucco ceiling came falling down around us! It didnt even start where we were working but to the left of us......the ceiling peeled away like a banana, turned the corner and keep going for about 200 ft. All the undercanopy signs went through the storefronts of about 6 stores. After it fell I took photos of the 1/2" STAPLES holding the mesh on the joists......1/2" STAPLES!!!!!! The contractor was held accountable for all damages and no one was injuried thank goodness.

Man, I'd love to see a picture of the sign. And just how much of the "wall" fell with it.

I think it is the sign in the picture, assuming that is says "PCX".

20090713_milford_mall_1_0713091152a_20090713121648_640_480.JPG

Photo link

• !llumenati

Man, I'd love to see a picture of the sign. And just how much of the "wall" fell with it.

I think it is the sign in the picture, assuming that is says "PCX".

20090713_milford_mall_1_0713091152a_20090713121648_640_480.JPG

Photo link

Thanks for the picture and video. I'm not sure they can blame the guy for the wall falling down - wasn't that big of a sign. But I truly believe the GC is going to have to explain some things.

gn

Hard to tell, but is that a parapetwall?

I think you are right. To me it looks to be a facade, or parapet wall, built from sheetmetal studs and drywall a few feet from the actual wall of the building. I can't tell what was bracing the top of the facade to the main wall or canopy. Typically I see some metal studs going down at an angle to the studs on the canopy at the bare minimum. It's hard to say from my chair but surely when they hung the sign they would have been able to tell if the wall was structurally sound.

I would think the wall would need to bracing in the back to support the weight of the sign but I don't see any?????? Where are the other stores signs? Wierd place to mount a sign anyway. Wonder if any engineering was done.......yeah I know, stupid question!