ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Border Neon

Arryn

We've got a job that's calling out for some border neon around a building's roof line. My question: what's the standard neon, 13mm or 15mm?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

We've got a job that's calling out for some border neon around a building's roof line. My question: what's the standard neon, 13mm or 15mm?

Hey Arryn,

15mm is generally the standard for border units.

• !llumenati

Hey Arryn,

15mm is generally the standard for border units.

Depending on how much is needed you may want to look at an even larger diameter to maximize the transformer load. I personally would do 20mm.

If you need someone to do the larger diameter or even the 15mm I would recommend Randy at South Atlantic neon for the job.

I've been to his facility. Top shelf all around, and an OK guy to top it off :thumbs:

GOOD things happen for a reason......

Keep in mind that the only U.L. approved electrode housing for exterior border tube installation are "G Cups" with a conduit plug assembly. The mouth of the housing has to be slanted downward 15°, so your electrode double-back has to be angled upward. I'm not certain if they'll accommodate the 20mm tube suggested here.

• !llumenati

Keep in mind that the only U.L. approved electrode housing for exterior border tube installation are "G Cups" with a conduit plug assembly. The mouth of the housing has to be slanted downward 15°, so your electrode double-back has to be angled upward. I'm not certain if they'll accommodate the 20mm tube suggested here.

First off, the G-cup is not the only UL approved method for outdoor borders. So is the Masters Technology boots. Also, the G-cup would not be fitting over the 20mm glass itself, just the electrodes, so there shouldn't be an issue IF the G-cup was the chosen install method.

gn

First off, the G-cup is not the only UL approved method for outdoor borders. So is the Masters Technology boots. Also, the G-cup would not be fitting over the 20mm glass itself, just the electrodes, so there shouldn't be an issue IF the G-cup was the chosen install method.

gn

My apologies for the oversight, Gary. I don't think of a boot as a housing and in fact I was just trying to steer Arryn away from PK housings which far too many people think are approvable for outdoor installations but they are not, and they are nothing but trouble if used for that purpose.

• !llumenati

you can make 8 ft raceways and install it as a finished fixture. You can use the boot method. I would use tecnolux 18mm silicone boots. They will go over our 19mm electrodes easily.

post-29-069687300 1286219403.jpg

GOOD things happen for a reason......

• !llumenati

gn

My apologies for the oversight, Gary. I don't think of a boot as a housing and in fact I was just trying to steer Arryn away from PK housings which far too many people think are approvable for outdoor installations but they are not, and they are nothing but trouble if used for that purpose.

No problem --- yet thinking back, they were legal for a long time for border installations. Even now, if you use a boot they are legal. But, not too many shops know how to use them, nor many building owners want a 1.5" hole in their wall to use them.

gn

No problem --- yet thinking back, they were legal for a long time for border installations. Even now, if you use a boot they are legal. But, not too many shops know how to use them, nor many building owners want a 1.5" hole in their wall to use them.

gn

Yeah, I was never able to figure that one out, because if you pull the PK glass sleeve from the metal housing, embossed on the side of the glass it says, "Not For Outdoor Use". The darn rubber boot at the mouth not only traps condensation in the housing, but it rots out with the corona and UV, disintegrates and water is allowed to trespass into the housing. I always tell my service techs, if they ever come across a PK or Hage housing to rip them out and replace them with the wp boot like the Masters.

• Board Patron

you can make 8 ft raceways and install it as a finished fixture. You can use the boot method. I would use tecnolux 18mm silicone boots. They will go over our 19mm electrodes easily.

I love the look of big glass but I'm not worth a shit at making them! damn! LOL

Edited by chubbygumby

Installation & Maintenance Services

Brian Phillips | expresssignandneon@sbcglobal.net | P. 812-882-3278

Express Sign & Neon | 119 S. 15th Street - Vincennes - IN 47591

express%20neon%20sig.jpg