ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Association Appointments/Placements

Sign Associaton Appointments  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think it's a good idea that individuals get re-electred in the same postions over and over again. Or be appointed multiple times? For example, being cylcled back to President 3-5 times?

2. 2. Should Individuals be allowed to carry multiple positions across multiple Sign Associations concurrently?

3. 3. Should Sign Associations have term limits?

4. 4. Do you think the same old faces are put back into place because of favortism / cliques?

I wanted to start a new poll on a future Topic that I have going about the overall feeling of Sign Association Appointments and Chairs.

Like current politics on the larger scale that affect our country(ies), I'm of the opinion that when it comes to our industry (a smaller cosmo scale) individuals don't need to be President five times, and individuals don't need to be spread across various chairs amongst different Sign Associations concurrently.

Here is why.

Much like today, I feel like these Rhino's need to be ousted. Their time needs to be appreciated by all that they put forth so humbly but, the time needs to be finite.

This may sound harsh but I'm a firm believer that new ideas and fresh blood need to be brought in from time to time. The flood gates of "new" washing away that of which was "old" needs to happen from time to time. It gets to a point where it gets to "cliquey". Like today, a new chairperson or executive going in with good intentions might be easily swayed by those who have been in for some time. Go in, get a whiff of DC life, just like on the bigger scale of elected officials, and then politics as usual.

Over the last few months and when I find the time, I look at old trade Magazines, my collection only goes back to 04'. But the same people are still here, still getting appointed. I'm not saying all or any of these people have ill intention, but I do know there is a negative side to it all just like any other house of politics. Favors, cliques, inner politics, EGO's, and of course money that can be made or some other gain, playing favors.

A month ago or so I went through some archives of a Sign Association and I read some of the news letters that went back years and years. I think I appreciated articles written by those who weren't around long, and weren't recycled or regurgitated back into the mix. The "lifers" that I read now (who have been around since back then), just come off as "Rhino" politicians who like to keep the "Good ol' Boy Network" going.

If you currently read these trade magazines or get their emails, I'm sure you can't help but see the same faces get appointed or put into place. I think as a safe guard, for the benefit and assurety, terms of privilege need to be put into place. I know it's not my place to demand since I'm not a member of any Sign Association and never will be. But I think it's a must/need.

I've heard some good stories, and I've heard some bad ones (Association inner circles), I just think as insurance, maintaining integrity, and bringing new ideas, new individuals should always be brought in. Some, make this their way of life, and I don't think that's the best idea overall.

Maybe others have different opinions, looking for poll results and opinions.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

• !llumenati

After being president you should be sent to walk the cursed Earth, bringing law to the lawless, like in Judge Dredd!

Sincerely,

Garett Churchill

Fluxeon, Inc.

USA

• Board Patron

On the organization part....It has always been my understanding that the reason the same people are recycled, is because it's the same people who make themselves available. I don't think they get anything out of it, or that they prefer to be in a position, it just works out that way and the organization has to have those positions filled... looking at member turn-around on a few organizations I have belonged to, no one wants to have a person in position who is not committed to the cause. The main theme I have always heard is, you get out of it, what you put into it. The only organization I see that really uses a wide variety of talent is SEGD.

On magazines and articles, I have worked at a few shops and design firms where the owner or their marketing company wrote articles. On a few occasions I was disappointed on the perks and writing a rave review on a product that was not even close to describing what it really was. Not all were like that, but a few were.

• !llumenati

"Power is only suited to those who are reluctant to accept it" Plato identified one of the Catch-22's of democracy. Those who seek power should never be trusted with it...for very long, at the very least.

Sure it's true that the same folks reenlist themselves, whether in politics or associations. I think it's that way because there is no effort to bring in new talent, and no willingness to forbid multiple terms.

Not to say it can't be done in bylaws or by congress, but there's a new catch-22: who is in charge of making such changes?! the people who would be adversely affected by them.

My solution is to make such positions unpaid. or at least paid too low to be considered a real job. Do we need to be paying the millionaires in congress?!

Garett

Sincerely,

Garett Churchill

Fluxeon, Inc.

USA

I know it's not my place to demand since I'm not a member of any Sign Association and never will be.

It's too bad you feel this way. I have been in and out of multiple sign associations, without holding any board positions, for many years and you are exactly the type of person that needs to be involved. I get more out of the UL and similar type discussion sessions, than caring about where the next golf outing is going to be for sure. With that in mind I agree with previous posts about getting out of it what you put in...bag em all if you want but it's hard to change the system from outside while tossing rocks at a lot of people who have also dedicated their lives to this industry.

You’re a strong and intelligent voice and the industry needs you even if you do decide to do it from the sidelines or this site. BTW this is your own little sign association anyway, don't you think?

I know it's not my place to demand since I'm not a member of any Sign Association and never will be.

It's too bad you feel this way. I have been in and out of multiple sign associations, without holding any board positions, for many years and you are exactly the type of person that needs to be involved. I get more out of the UL and similar type discussion sessions, than caring about where the next golf outing is going to be for sure. With that in mind I agree with previous posts about getting out of it what you put in...bag em all if you want but it's hard to change the system from outside while tossing rocks at a lot of people who have also dedicated their lives to this industry.

You’re a strong and intelligent voice and the industry needs you even if you do decide to do it from the sidelines or this site. BTW this is your own little sign association anyway, don't you think?

Thanks Signeye.

I don't think I would ever take a position in a sign association, I think I'm much more effective being a voice on the outside and providing a platform for others to be a strong voice as well. Our industry doesn't have anything like this site where facts can be brought the forefront and myths exposed. I can see some good changes due to the discussion/existence of this site, so I thinks it's my niche to keep it up and make it grow as membership grows, digging into other areas of the trade.

Plus, I'm terrible at golf probably, I've never played or even stepped on a golf course other than miniature golf with the kids :smilie_auslachen:

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

I'm terrible at golf probably, I've never played or even stepped on a golf course

You're the perfect Association golfer then!!!

Keep stiring the drink...