ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Time and quality of life

• Board Patron

Just an observation.  I check in and out basically 8 to 5 everyday and go home doing whatever I want to, I also don't work on weekends.  

My boss's however work long hours,  I know they have families also.  I was wondering how all you people in management who have a lot of responsibility to keep the business going, do it?  Do you have time to spend with the family, or do they just accept the fact that you will be spending long hours at work?  Is it hard for you to pry yourself away from work for family time?  

• !llumenati

Just an observation.  I check in and out basically 8 to 5 everyday and go home doing whatever I want to, I also don't work on weekends.  

My boss's however work long hours,  I know they have families also.  I was wondering how all you people in management who have a lot of responsibility to keep the business going, do it?  Do you have time to spend with the family, or do they just accept the fact that you will be spending long hours at work?  Is it hard for you to pry yourself away from work for family time?  

That would take a couple hours to respond to - wow! With people being cut, more work to be done, and for management - the fun of cleaning up the workers messes and f-ups --- just not enough time in a day to get our work done after spending all day doing the other stuff.

• 4 months later...
  • !llumenati

Well, basically, fear of bankruptcy, loss of everything you have, and starvation are pretty good motivators to log those long hours, because as owner/boss, it's your baby to lose. Sorta biases the priority viewpoint a bit...

Edited by TelfordDorr

"Freedom has ceased to be a birthright; it has come to mean whatever we are still permitted to do" - Joe Sobran

I was tired yesterday, I'm tired today, and I'll be retired tomorrow - TD

Guest Signtiffic

It is indeed "ours" to lose. I would think most owners, executives, etc. that do spend a significant amount of time with their work consider it part or for family. After all, it likely what puts food on their table, their employees table, and sustains more than one person. Being an owner or a manager means you are responsible for something greater than yourself. A good owner or manager isn't a pushover and may not be the most easily understood creature. But they tend to pay people what they're worth and not what they can get away with. They usually take time to share their experience and insight. They're not to be confused with being a "best-friend" or a shoulder to cry on even though they can likely swing it when it helps someone. They tell it to the team straight, even when it's bad news. Especially when it's bad news or corrective feedback. They make sure each person has the "tools" or wherewithal to be successful in their roles. They take heat and share praise.

The not so strange thing about all of the above is the owner/manager usually has sincere concern about the well being of all the people which makes up the business itself. Since most people look at family the same way, as in it's important to us, it's easy for me to enjoy any time spent with both. JMHO

I think all of life is a balancing act of priorities. As I have had opportunity to counsel with parents of teenagers, there is typically regret regarding opportunities lost, when their children were younger. Talking with a group of sign company owners, that had been through divorce(s), it was suprising to hear a consensus; they wished they had worked harder on their first marriage (oddly enough, one had divorced a second wife and re-married his first). I agree with hiring the right people and trusting them, even though they might not do things exactly the way you would. Manage your time well. The problem with owning, or managing a business (I've done both), is there is always more that needs to be done. There is no shame in letting employees and customers know you have family commitments. Keep those family commitments, with the same integrity you would keep your business commitments. God bless anyone who has it all figured out!

This is a good topic.

I've answered this before years ago when this site first started, and nothings changed. I went from good sized shop when I was single, employees, busy and making money and traveling installing signs to dramatically downsizing to a one man show. Why? Because I want to be home every night or most nights in time to eat with the family. Do homework with the kids, and have a relationship with the lil wife. When I was a bigger shop I had no time for the then girlfriend.

Grown up now, I think I only have one or two friends who's parents stayed married. Just about every kid who grew up on my block ( I grew up in a cou-da-sac, 8 families in that black had kids that I played with), all divorced. A lot of those families had spouses that had very busy work lives. Playing ball with most of them in organized leagues, hardy ANY of them had both parents if any at all watching them play. A lot of times my parents would take them to the game with me. I grew up with mainly my dad working only, for the most part a stay at home mom. Looking back at it all I realized how fortunate I was. Having kids, and a family of my own it scares me to NOT be around. There is a balance for sure, most of the time it's make a lot of money but pay for it by not being around, make less and be around and have a healthier family life.

My best friend growing up worked his ass off, had a kid same time I had my first one. He's retired tight now, we're the same age, I'll be 37 this year. Yeah, he owns property, has a partnership with a few business's and basically travels all around the world playing softball. But, he lost everything loved, the girl of his dreams because he wasn't around, kid had to see a shrink when he his parents split. I still remember the day he came over to my house, he told me and my wife he will never get "her" back and he regrets it. He was always more wrapped up in his work than spending time with his family. It is true, being self employed there is always something that needs to get done.

Do I miss the making a lot of money, and having employees. But not enough to loose what's more important to me, what's more a priority to me. A lot of times this damn sites takes up too much of my time, there's always something that needs to be done here.

I'll sacrifice the money over family any day of the week.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

I don't have as much time as West Coast Sign Guy to respond (no offense) but I will offer this. You can manage a successful business and still have time for your family. I do it every day and neither my kids nor my wife feel neglected. It is a matter of balance with a strong emphasis on time management.

Do what you can do until 5 pm and go home. Spend quality time with your kids and pick up where you left off after the kids are in bed. It is important to understand that if you HAVE to work do it at home as much as possible. Just being there is better then being absent. They all understand that the bills have to be paid and they know who the bread winner in the family is (whether it be husband, wife or both).

The key is to be available and take time out when needed to be "there" for them and have the sense to step into the 21st century and embrace technology for your best hope at creating a balanced life for yourself.

Regards,

Bryan

Welcome to the Board Bryan, no offense taken.

I guess in this discussion we can also note that there are those who choose to work late nights and weekends because of the fact that they DON'T, want to go or be home with their other half!

:laughing1:

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

• Board Patron

It amazes me the changes that happen as you get older. When I was young and running my printing business I wanted to have a huge business with tons of equipment and "be somebody" and everything else came second. The rat race finally caught up with me and I got tired of peddling faster to keep up and sold the printing company. Now older and wiser (I hope) I am content with our 3 man shop and to just be busy and make a living. No longer is having a huge business important to me, life is. When you are young it is easy to get blinded by ambition... funny when you get older and you eyesight is not as good you can see some things better.

Installation & Maintenance Services

Brian Phillips | expresssignandneon@sbcglobal.net | P. 812-882-3278

Express Sign & Neon | 119 S. 15th Street - Vincennes - IN 47591

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

It amazes me the changes that happen as you get older. When I was young and running my printing business I wanted to have a huge business with tons of equipment and "be somebody" and everything else came second. The rat race finally caught up with me and I got tired of peddling faster to keep up and sold the printing company. Now older and wiser (I hope) I am content with our 3 man shop and to just be busy and make a living. No longer is having a huge business important to me, life is. When you are young it is easy to get blinded by ambition... funny when you get older and you eyesight is not as good you can see some things better.

+ 1

"world headquarters" seems to come to mind when I was building my current manufacturing facility. Now I think I've gone full circle to the founding principles of my company, work less, fish & dive more

:fpole: