ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Install on Split Face Block Wall

We have been running into a lot of installs on split face block walls lately. We are looking for ideas of better ways to install signs on these walls without having to build extra frames or raceways. For example one sign is a brushed metal background with individual lighted letters mounted to it. How do you install the background without it showing the "hills and valleys" of the split face block without building a frame for the sign. Has anyone come up with some neat trick?

• !llumenati

We have been running into a lot of installs on split face block walls lately. We are looking for ideas of better ways to install signs on these walls without having to build extra frames or raceways. For example one sign is a brushed metal background with individual lighted letters mounted to it. How do you install the background without it showing the "hills and valleys" of the split face block without building a frame for the sign. Has anyone come up with some neat trick?

Installing letters or signs on split block walls is a losing proposition labor wise. Not much info on the size of sign your doing, but here's a suggestion. Assusming led letters, and not knowing where you have to tie in the primary -

Put your brushed metal on heavier - like .125 alum. Take two (?) channels and mount those to the split block - that way you can level and space so sign goes up straight. Mount your bkgd (.125) with judiciously placed screws into the channels - so that those screws are BEHIND the letters tht you are going to put up. If you place everything correctly - your led wiring between letters can be in the channel for connecting letters. When you get all done - the bkgd will be "floating" off the wall, but securely fastened. Make sense?

gn

If it were me I'd be using those Hilti type anchors with long thread to hold the wireway (Large background)

post-3-0-04436000-1298995508.jpg

Then making sure all my second set of nuts were out the same distance so the sign is consistently (String line) flat and level to the building

Edited by Westcoast Sign Guy
not that type of wall

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

• !llumenati

If it were me I'd be using those Hilti type anchors with long thread to hold the wireway (Large background)

Then making sure all my second set of nuts were out the same distance so the sign is consistently (String line) flat and level to the building

With some of the split block walls we've worked on - that's a limited thread. I'd use the hilti epoxy witn all thread.

With some of the split block walls we've worked on - that's a limited thread. I'd use the hilti epoxy witn all thread.

There you go, all threads even better.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

Thanks for the ideas I will pass on to our installers. Here is a bit more information on a sign we have all ready installed that needs fixed. Sign is 6' 6" x 25' for the background so the background is in two pieces. The sign/background had all ready been made as split block face wall was not noted in the original survey. We installed the sign direct to the wall putting our fasteners inside the letters so that we could hide the heads, but customer insisted that the winds were too high in that area and they wanted fasteners on the outside edge of sign. Now the background is "wavy" looking and customer is not happy. Any ideas on fixing an all ready installed sign? Background is 090 aluminum painted a silver metallic. Letters are LED lit.

I hate split block walls. At this point all I can add is to take a demo hammer and knock off the high spots behind the sign to even the wall out somewhat, else, like you said, make a frame out of uni strut or something.

Yeah, we figured we would have to do a frame at this point. Would have been fine if the customer hadn't insisted on putting fasteners on the outside edge I think.

• !llumenati

Yeah, we figured we would have to do a frame at this point. Would have been fine if the customer hadn't insisted on putting fasteners on the outside edge I think.

My way wouldn't have been showing as the bulkiness of the frame. After you finish - send pics.