ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Frosted Lexan

Howdy Folks,

I have a job calling for 1/4" polycarb with a frosted look, has anyone ever done this either with paint or sandblasting? They also want some portions to be clear. 3form has a product but it's Uber expensive.

• !llumenati

Howdy Folks,

I have a job calling for 1/4" polycarb with a frosted look, has anyone ever done this either with paint or sandblasting? They also want some portions to be clear. 3form has a product but it's Uber expensive.

You can buy frosted acrylic. You can use frosted vinyl and leave the portions that are to be clear. 3 form is SUPER expensive.

gn

Howdy Folks,

Depends on the application but if it is visible .... what about applying a frosted vinyl to the sheet? Also how big of a piece you need can be an issue since I'm sure having a seam is not an option. If its for a backlit application and is not visible ... just sand it. You can mask out the parts that need to remain clear w/ some vinyl and sand the rest.

What about when it needs to be polycarbonate and it is exposed to the sun all day long - any suggestions for UV resistant film that can also be a diffuser? We have a very large application needing a product like this.

Howdy Folks,

You can buy frosted acrylic. You can use frosted vinyl and leave the portions that are to be clear. 3 form is SUPER expensive.

gn

Frosted Acrylic I could find fairly easy, the problem is that

spec is for Polycarbonate, These are merely decrotive panels w/ no backlighting and held to a framework with stainless standoffs. I also thought of sanding, but not sure how it would look wet (running a test piece now) maybe sand or blast it then spray a UV clear coat over it, though that might negate the frosted look.

Guest Signtiffic

I know what your bidding :)

There's a better way and I really want to share..... but I have to wait to the bid is awarded to do so..... Even if I'm mistaken and we're not bidding the same job.... still can't say anything until...

Good topic though. I racked my brains out for a good solution.

Edited by Signtiffic

I know what your bidding :)

There's a better way and I really want to share..... but I have to wait to the bid is awarded to do so..... Even if I'm mistaken and we're not bidding the same job.... still can't say anything until...

Good topic though. I racked my brains out for a good solution.

Actually, this is a job in hand. I've already stasted building.

I would think sandblast.

You could sandblast one side and UV coat the other side - right?

Would all of you have an issue if this is sitting in direct sunlight facing up all day long? Wont it become brittle in time?

Friend at LSI suggested using UV film over polycarbonate - anyone do this?

Edited by Manuel Lynch

• !llumenati

I would use a film so the integrity of the board is kept in tact. You could also use frosted paint like they use on windows as long as there is a flex agent in it.

Sandblasting may void any warrantees.

GOOD things happen for a reason......

I would use a film so the integrity of the board is kept in tact. You could also use frosted paint like they use on windows as long as there is a flex agent in it.

Frosted paint? Is there a product that you have used?

• !llumenati

Frosted paint? Is there a product that you have used?

In a spray can. I let my boys go crazy with it at Xmas time on the windows. I will see if I still have a can when I get home.

so there are no 3M films that provide diffusion that also provide UV protection? Seems odd that not such a beast exists.

We all know how to do this with acrylic - but how do we do this with a product that can pass all the flammability issues?

This is supposed to be a forum where we help or advise - there has to be someone lurking on here that could post and help the group out.

I am asking this for a company in New Zealand - I want them to realize that this board is a resource for such questions.

• !llumenati

We all know how to do this with acrylic - but how do we do this with a product that can pass all the flammability issues?

This is supposed to be a forum where we help or advise - there has to be someone lurking on here that could post and help the group out.

I am asking this for a company in New Zealand - I want them to realize that this board is a resource for such questions.

Why dont they join?

There is always the option of Acid etched glass (tempered safety glass) Thinking more about this topic, I would lean this way myself

I guess it depends on what the budget allows, and what the customer wants, high end, temporary, installation problems, location ect.. Many factors.

Sean - I am trying to get the dialogue started and then I am going to have him click a link and join - he is doing some great things but can always learn more.

Here is the company - www.MAGAssembly.com - and they use EGL Neon all the time.

so there are no 3M films that provide diffusion that also provide UV protection? Seems odd that not such a beast exists.

3m has a Frosted Crystal (Sand-Blasted Look) #7725SE-324 which is UV resistant and can be applied to the first surface. You would also want to apply a second layer of one of their white diffuser films, either 40% or 60% light transmission. These films are not UV resistant and will need to either be laminated w/ the Frosted Crystal on top exposed to the elements or on the second surface of the polycarbonate sheet.

FWIW ... I'm sure you are aware but thought I would mention the polycarbonate sheet needs to be UV resistant as well ... so any sanding or sandblasting you do would need to be on the second surface of the sheet otherwise your clear panel w/ yellow from the UV.

Last idea ... GE has a clear lexan sheet ... SG308 that is UV resistant and has a matte (textured) finish on the first surface ... You could apply the diffuser to the second surface and drop out the areas that needed to remain clear.

3m has a Frosted Crystal (Sand-Blasted Look) #7725SE-324 which is UV resistant and can be applied to the first surface. You would also want to apply a second layer of one of their white diffuser films, either 40% or 60% light transmission. These films are not UV resistant and will need to either be laminated w/ the Frosted Crystal on top exposed to the elements or on the second surface of the polycarbonate sheet.

FWIW ... I'm sure you are aware but thought I would mention the polycarbonate sheet needs to be UV resistant as well ... so any sanding or sandblasting you do would need to be on the second surface of the sheet otherwise your clear panel w/ yellow from the UV.

Last idea ... GE has a clear lexan sheet ... SG308 that is UV resistant and has a matte (textured) finish on the first surface ... You could apply the diffuser to the second surface and drop out the areas that needed to remain clear.

Thank you Kevin...and yes I figured out someone like you would know the answer - thank you. Hopefully our power supply can work out for you. Will send this link to company in New Zealand...much appreciated.

• 4 months later...

See my reply on the "Working with Lexan" thread.

Sandblasting, orbital sanding or painting would all reduce the strength of polycarbonate and negate the warranty.

The person who specified the material was probably unaware of this.

A frosted vinyl (though not ideal) would be the preferred method if you can't afford frosted polycarbonate.

Greg

Hello all

back spray or front spray with grip flex semi gloss or flat clear if you want a texture do not reduce the paint as much 10% thinner if you can find the mat finish polycarb spray the clear side and the mat side is on the out side.

good luck

Mike

NSW Systems LLC.