ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Combating the low baller

Is it really that hard?

If the sign user already has it set in their mind that they want to go with the lowest absolute price then there is nothing you can do about it, not even sitting them down for 8 hours or and educating them. That's just who that individual is, nothing you can change they probably make decisions like that all day.

In my area I'm hit with the non-licensed, the hacks, and low budget sign shops. It seems like rarely lately am I up against a larger or quality company, or at least what used to be. In a current world where we have a downed economy, every shop is filled with JT & JS LEDs, distributors are being called on a daily basis being asked if they stock one dollar modules. The industry is in a marathon where the race is huge, and intense, but some shops choose to run the length of the race all to crawl the last few steps before the finish line, and on purpose. Even after all that preparation, after all that labor, it comes down the stuffing a sign with components purchased from the dollar store.

My success lately when it comes to channel letters has been to throw my long, "worry free" 5 year electrical warranty. I ask the client to check all bidders references, having them most importantly, to ask for a list that is at least 5 years old AND, do so at night (making sure all signs are still illuminated evenly and consistently) talking with the past client list about service. So far, most of the low ballers can't compete, or offer an extended warranty over a year for additional money $$$$$$$. They can't compete because of the junk components they choose to stuff their sign with. As I tell the end client who got a 50% reduced bid over mine, "You can pay less now, but you will pay more for it later with service and replacement....Secure a 5 year warranty with them if they are confident in their work.....AND let THEM pay for it later!" I always leave them with the thought in their mind, "If you see a good portfolio from a company that is at least 5 years old and the signs are still nicely lit, then you know where you will be in that time"

Just a topic I thought I'd throw out for today.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

Welcome to the era of the disposable sign. I see many of these low budget hack jobs that are designed without maintenance even being a consideration.

If certain supply distributors continue to allign themselves with low budget/low quality product manufacturers I see the "low baller" continuing to thrive.

Welcome to the era of the disposable sign. I see many of these low budget hack jobs that are designed without maintenance even being a consideration.

If certain supply distributors continue to allign themselves with low budget/low quality product manufacturers I see the "low baller" continuing to thrive.

The sign user assumes and would like to be in business a lot longer, and staying successful in whatever it is they do. I just came back from right from a final sales meeting, SOLD! My attack plan against the low ball competitors? Holding my ground and explained above, sell and market the "quality" you CAN produce. Hold the line!, don't blend yourself in with the others.

As for how distributors aligning themselves with low budget quality components? Maybe this is why GE dumped N.Glantz the other day like an ugly girlfriend, it's just an assumption (if so, then GOOD for them! I'll buy a GE rep a drink in Vegas). Distributors like Montroy refuse to take in anyone who sells as much as what N.Glantz sells for JT LEDs. They even get LED people in trying to sell on the idea that Montroy can have their own LED line that sells for cheap, and good for them! Good distributors don't want to whore the market based on price, let alone bring the trade down.

It feels like a Friday!

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

Guest Signtiffic

I dunno..... there has been an evolution of some aspects of our trade where the pricing has dropped substantially. DON'T twist the words, but some of us have not adjusted our pricing to reflect a reduction in cost to fabricate.

The hacks, low ballers, and shite distributors do indeed undermind the market, but only to a point and only temporarily. They've (the hacks) been around a long time according to those ancient sign warriors over 65. All throughout history there is ups and downs.

Like WCSG said, filling an empty cup with knowledge is possible, but when adding to a full cup you're just spilling knowledge all over the table.

I can only suggest what I've learned over the years..... QUALIFY your customers. You really have to decide who you want to do business with and get really good at being visible to those types OR get really good at going after those types. I don't chase shit work, but I'll dig and dig and dig until I find a diamond. It's not easy and it's not cheap, but the reward is truly doing business with someone I want to do it with.

I dunno..... there has been an evolution of some aspects of our trade where the pricing has dropped substantially. DON'T twist the words, but some of us have not adjusted our pricing to reflect a reduction in cost to fabricate.

The hacks, low ballers, and shite distributors do indeed undermind the market, but only to a point and only temporarily. They've (the hacks) been around a long time according to those ancient sign warriors over 65. All throughout history there is ups and downs.

Like WCSG said, filling an empty cup with knowledge is possible, but when adding to a full cup you're just spilling knowledge all over the table.

I can only suggest what I've learned over the years..... QUALIFY your customers. You really have to decide who you want to do business with and get really good at being visible to those types OR get really good at going after those types. I don't chase shit work, but I'll dig and dig and dig until I find a diamond. It's not easy and it's not cheap, but the reward is truly doing business with someone I want to do it with.

Cheers to that! You going to Vegas "Jack"?

I'd rather throw out and loose bids getting less with my higher quality priced products and only get a few, working less and making more. The classic, "work a lot more and make less, or work less and make more".

Guest Signtiffic

Wait.... it's not Friday yet? Shhhhhhhhht.

ADD/EDIT: Unlikely.... way too freaking busy "digging" and locking up stones already found. I'm still trying to squeeze it in though. I won't know until last minute.

Edited by Signtiffic

New sign hack photos ... A co-worker came across these signs over this past weekend and took some photos for me. He said there were several empty stores in the shopping center and all the signs (without faces in them) were built the same way.

Hey ... At least they used pressure treated lumber to hold up the light fixture! They're certainly going to need it w/ the gapping hole in the top of the sign for the non-weather proof flexible conduit to pass through.

No labels on the sign ... Go figure!

post-1803-0-35691500-1302213455.jpg

post-1803-0-32420400-1302213482.jpg

post-1803-0-36386800-1302213606.jpg

Another customer gone Green!

That's about just as good as this customer who was talked into retrofitting their old T12s to T8's. This was posted here years ago, I wonder if he end user ever received their government welfare, uhhh, rebate check for doing so?

I think I like your shot better, it appears they mixed in just about all of earth elements to get that sign completed.