ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Foreigner would not shake my hand????

My mouth about hit the damn floor.....I work at a hospital and help take care of the new born babies and so forth. Well, there is this father who is a foreigner and when I went to greet him (like I do all new parents) with a hand shake.... this father of the new born baby stepped back and stated "HE DOES NOT SHAKE AMERICAN HANDS".....and then demands that I expedite things for him so that he and is family can travel back to his country??? What the hell??? And the way this man talks to his wife, ahhhh.....sick to my stomach!!!

......other folks over heard him and they left the area in total shock!!! Some even asked me how I even kept my cool while working with this guy??? so......

I was thinking to myself, "well maybe it is in his culture where men don't shake womens hands".....but he was serious!!! Wouldn't shake any of our hands???? Not even a male physician????

So, my thought is, "this man can have his baby born here in STATES, yet he wont greet me with a hand shake because I am an American citizen????? Am I missing something here???? This mans baby is now an American citizen???? I have never experienced anything like this before. I am just blown away.....I usually do not take things to a personal level at work, but I took this personal....very personal....

I came home pissed off and telling Erik my story, this is truely a crazy world we live in....

Any thoughts out there????? I understand I meet a variety of folks and work with diversity, but this is terrible!!!!! Has anyone experience something like this, you all work with folks from different countries and so forth???? Did I just miss something????

That is unbelievable. Can't imagine how hard it was not to say anything. If he said he wouldn't shake your hand because he is a germaphobe you could understand it but to say because you are an American is incomprehensible.

Muslim I assume ? Now we have to deliver babies that are taught to hate us ?

Very sad.

• Board Patron

I encounter this on a regular basis. I work for businesses that just happen to have the majority of owners who aren't as Bruce Springsteen sings "Born in the USA". Some are overtly hostile while others mask it well with a smile.

I happened to have a conversation with one fellow about 9-11 and our involvement overseas. When push came to shove and we got to the nitty gritty, I finally came out and asked him if he were an American citizen. He answered in the affirmative. I asked him if conflict ever broke out with his country of origin or the USA, which side would he fight for. His answer set me back a bit but at least I could say he was honest. He said that USA or his home country........ well he would fight against the USA. The choice wasn't even close. Even though he was a citizen and enjoys the benefits of living in the USA, he would have no compunction taking sides against this country and those who he would ultimately have to kill, namely US citizens.

I had all to do to take his head off but figured it wasn't worth going to jail after I smashed his face in. I let it go but understood the hatred runs very deep. I also reflected on those members of my family who immigrated to this country from Italy prior to World War II and even though were sometimes considered second class citizens, were proud to service in the United States military and fight the war in Europe for the USA. I have one family member who died at Normandy, one fought in Italy and another who was at Pearl Harbor and lived the horror of that attack. Another family member on the married side who happens to be Hispanic fought with the USMC on Iwo Jima and the thrill of his life was, prior to his death, going back and reliving his boot camp days at Camp Pendelton in Oceanside California. When he died, at his funeral was a small contingent of current Marines who sent him off to his maker with the honor and dignity he deserved. All this after becoming a naturalized citizen.

So I do understand your frustration but that is the price you sometimes have to pay for living in the greatest country in the world. Be thankful you are an American and just know you have what he can never attain.

And if that doesn't suffice, just bury your foot up his ass as he walks away and call some of us other posters immediately and we will be there to have your back. He won't undestand it, but you will...................

"Don't be afraid to see what you see" - President Ronald Reagan

I would love to give you my response as I have had personal experience with a foreigner in a way related to my family but being that I would more than likely get banned for my "views" and I refuseh to be "politically correct" when it is ridiculous, I will just keep my mouth shut. :usaflag:

Good for you for keeping your composure and taking the high road....I would be hard pressed not to speak my mind to someone who comes to America only to get a "free ride" on taxpayers dollars....

Time for a change...

• Board Patron

Good for you! Kgirl Myself I would have been fired and looking for a job right now, because I would have drilled that son of a bitch right in the face! Then spit on him.

Installation & Maintenance Services

Brian Phillips | expresssignandneon@sbcglobal.net | P. 812-882-3278

Express Sign & Neon | 119 S. 15th Street - Vincennes - IN 47591

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

I would love to give you my response as I have had personal experience with a foreigner in a way related to my family but being that I would more than likely get banned for my "views" and I refuseh to be "politically correct" when it is ridiculous, I will just keep my mouth shut. :usaflag:

Good for you for keeping your composure and taking the high road....I would be hard pressed not to speak my mind to someone who comes to America only to get a "free ride" on taxpayers dollars....

Time for a change...

I've always like the coined term, "Political Correctness is Political Cowardness"

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

Time for a change...

I've always like the coined term, "Political Correctness is Political Cowardness"

So true...It is a shame when you can't even express your views in a country that is free but yet a foreigner can come here, get free health care, free food, free jobs, free education...etc...practicality say or do whatever they want without fear of persecution and we as true Americans can even speak a word without the "political police" breathing down out backs....

Ok, enough of the soap box talk....time to get back to work!

Guest Signtiffic

That poor beautiful gift of life is likely going to grow up to be a scumbag just like the father.... oh so sad.

I mentioned the other day to kgirl... Don't forget our history. That is to say this country was built by all kinds of cultures. My family for instance, came over in the late 1800's to start a new life. Worked their asses off to make something of themselves here because they didn't have that option back home. They faced racial prejudice and bigots just like others do today BUT, they knew what they had here compared to home. They ignored it and pressed on, dedicated to being part of this country. Now we've got family in politics (personally can't stand them...but I love them) and a whole bunch of family that's served in the US military. Irish, Italians, Asians, etc., all have faced some sort of struggle against prejudice..... but like all things that are "new" and "scary" it's passed and most of you here have some roots from elsewhere. My opinion is don't hate that jackass's culture as they're likely more of his kind that know a good reason to be here and would embrace your hand for helping bring a baby into this world.

Guys like the jackass Kgirl encountered doesn't deserve everything he's probably getting from this country. However, being an American means being aware of all of our constitutional rights, of which that kid of the asshole is certainly entitled to. He's got a shot at freedom, which is not free. Another part of history is freedom was built on blood, guts, war, and glory. We didn't negotiate with the british.... we pounded them relentlessly any chance we had. We took a beating repeatedly as well... so again freedom is not free.

Hopfully he grows up here and comes to respect it despite the fact his immediate family is not worthy. That means lets hope he doesn't have some marxist education which truly needs to be stamped out of our schools.

USA.... Love it or leave it. That's not too much to ask is it?

Thank you all for your words......it's good to know i am not the only one who feels like we all do. I was talking with some co-workers at the hospital and we all still have a bit of a grudge? I am not at work today, but got a text from a nurse who is dealing with another "father to be" and the disrespect he gives the staff....

I dont want to say where these "asses" are coming from, but damn.....I think it is best i am not at work, because like Chubbygumby said...I would be looking for a new job.....

I do find it totally overwhelming that these folks get FREE EVERYTHING (health care, food and education etc....) meanwhile we get kicked back....

Here is another one for you all.....

Because I work at the hospital I deal with the county as well. When a military family needs me to expedite paperwork because the dad or mom is in the service and needs to be deployed.....the county will not budge for our men and women in service, but they move heaven and earth for folks from another country .....and of course like some of you had said...I cannot say anything.....just makes me sick.......I just dont see the freedom of speech anymore. I feel for my little boys, because things do not seem to be getting any better......I cannot imagine what it will be like for them in 10 years or so......DAMN...what the hell happened????? Ahhhhh

On the bright side, I do love my job when I deal with regular folks where the respect is mutual.......

Everyone, it is FRIDAY......have a wonderful weekend and hugs to you all......be safe out there!!! lol

I return to work on Sunday, I shall keep you all posted.....

One of my coworkers had an experience similar to this at an SGIA trade show! The man was foreign, but his business was in California. He was talking to us about graphics production, and my coworker went to introduce herself and put her hand out.

The difference is that this gentleman POLITELY explained that he appreciated her gesture, but because of his religion, it was not allowed for him to touch a woman other than his wife. In fact, technically, he should not even be speaking to a woman, even about business. However, she was so knowledgable, he was making an exception.

While I think it's silly, I do respect his religion. But more than that, I respect his attitude and way of dealing with the situation in an educational, non confrontational, respectful way.

I can't believe you kept your cool...kudos to you! I don't know if I would have been able to.

The very sad part is, most of that attitude is learned from previous generations, who may not even know where the hatred came from.

Have a great weekend!

Nate

Gregory Inc

www.gregory1.com

This bugs me so bad... when I travel to other countries I respect their cultures...and the same back the other direction.

I would have dropped my drawers and taken a dump in front of him and then said - "If you think Americans are crappy - I wanted you to have the full experience. And if you really want I can rub it in your face the way you put your cultural norms on our society"

Respect is a mutual sentiment... not one side.

Kirstie - that really sucks for you to have gone thru that!!

• Board Patron

boy it would be too bad if his email or mailing address was to end on on here......

Installation & Maintenance Services

Brian Phillips | expresssignandneon@sbcglobal.net | P. 812-882-3278

Express Sign & Neon | 119 S. 15th Street - Vincennes - IN 47591

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

boy it would be too bad if his email or mailing address was to end on on here......

We could send him an all American care package including one way airfare to Abbottabad and first months rent in bin Laden's old place.

I hear it just recently became available . :amerflag:

I will even throw in a red white and blue jumper for the kid

But lets all agree - if we went to their country we would be respectful of them - we would be in their country.

I guess I dont understand when people want the liberties we are afforded here in the USA but they cannot give up on their values of their old homeland.

My mom is a foreigner, from Spain, and she taught us to be respectful of wherever you are and more importantly to respectfully be American to foreigners.

People forget that if you take a dog from one country to another country - they will still walk up to each other, smell each others' business, wag tails - and be civil. We have a thing or two to learn from animals.

Hell - my dog learned to urinate on marine wharf cleat instead of a tree - thats what they had where we lived. I didnt tell them to grow some damn trees because the American was in town.

My mouth about hit the damn floor.....I work at a hospital and help take care of the new born babies and so forth. Well, there is this father who is a foreigner and when I went to greet him (like I do all new parents) with a hand shake.... this father of the new born baby stepped back and stated "HE DOES NOT SHAKE AMERICAN HANDS".....and then demands that I expedite things for him so that he and is family can travel back to his country??? What the hell??? And the way this man talks to his wife, ahhhh.....sick to my stomach!!!

......other folks over heard him and they left the area in total shock!!! Some even asked me how I even kept my cool while working with this guy??? so......

I was thinking to myself, "well maybe it is in his culture where men don't shake womens hands".....but he was serious!!! Wouldn't shake any of our hands???? Not even a male physician????

So, my thought is, "this man can have his baby born here in STATES, yet he wont greet me with a hand shake because I am an American citizen????? Am I missing something here???? This mans baby is now an American citizen???? I have never experienced anything like this before. I am just blown away.....I usually do not take things to a personal level at work, but I took this personal....very personal....

I came home pissed off and telling Erik my story, this is truely a crazy world we live in....

Any thoughts out there????? I understand I meet a variety of folks and work with diversity, but this is terrible!!!!! Has anyone experience something like this, you all work with folks from different countries and so forth???? Did I just miss something????

Maybe you should have informed him that that was fine (not shaking hands) and that had he not wanted his baby to shake hands with us infidels, he should have had it in his own country because EVERY one of you shook hands, tickled, cuddled and in general smothered the future terrorist with true love! Probably make him mad enough to go home and beat his camel.....

Remember I live and work in the Country of Florida. This place might as well be Ellis Island. In my other job I am challenged every day to serve thoes who hate us but want to endulge in the finance and freedom that we as Americans give them. Your skin will grow thick but its hard to suppress the emotion.

Guest Signtiffic

I still think most people are inherently good. Regardless of where and what ethnicity you are as a resident of what is still the greatest country on the planet, most good people are still complacent and unlikely to participate or contribute to working solutions. There's plausible solutions which are fair and constitutional. Only problem is convincing the bulk of people whom are content with the way it is. Even though many may seek the same end, it's not often many will agree on the path to such.

"He had read somewhere that the Eskimos had over two hundred different words for snow, without which their conversation would probably have got very monotonous. So they would distinguish between thin snow and thick snow, light snow and heavy snow, sludgy snow, brittle snow, snow that came in flurries, snow that came in drifts, snow that came in on the bottom of your neighbour's boots all over your nice clean igloo floor, the snows of winter, the snows of spring, the snows you remember from your childhood that were so much better than any of your modern snow, fine snow, feathery snow, hill snow, valley snow, snow that falls in the morning, snow that falls at night, snow that falls all of a sudden just when you were going out fishing, and snow that despite all your efforts to train them, the huskies have pissed on." ~ D. Adams

Remember I live and work in the Country of Florida. This place might as well be Ellis Island. In my other job I am challenged every day to serve thoes who hate us but want to endulge in the finance and freedom that we as Americans give them. Your skin will grow thick but its hard to suppress the emotion.

So true..so true......

Kirstie, I'm a foreigner and I'll certainly shake your hand.

regards, Graham

Thanks Graham,

I've said....I'll give you the up most respect and I expect that in return, but it isnt always that way and it is really sad when having to work with folks who treat you like poo.......

I will shake your hand as well my friend!!!!

:fnd (1):

• Board Patron

I was talking with my foreman who happens to be Muslim (from Bosnia) and he said its not custom he is familiar with at least within the Muslim community. He thought it is a regional hatred from Pakistan or some place like that,that hates us no matter the religion. We talked further and the radical religious elements from Christian, Jewish, Muslim and so on from a small percentage marginalizes a whole society. No different then the westborrow baptist or the rapture idiots.

I was talking with my foreman who happens to be Muslim (from Bosnia) and he said its not custom he is familiar with at least within the Muslim community. He thought it is a regional hatred from Pakistan or some place like that,that hates us no matter the religion. We talked further and the radical religious elements from Christian, Jewish, Muslim and so on from a small percentage marginalizes a whole society. No different then the westborrow baptist or the rapture idiots.

Bosnian Mulsims lived in a diverse country, though, as they had to mesh with both Catholics and Eastern Orthodox faiths under the old Yugoslav flag and even today, Bosnia remains mixed with strong Croat and Serb populations (almost 1/3 of each). People from places further east are not used to having to integrate, as they live in largely theocratic societies and are used to having the prevailing 'rule' simply forced on everyone. It has to be understood that there's a difference between being a Muslim and being an Islamist - the latter being the problem to western adaptation.