ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Governement: To save the world from table saws

Erik Sine

And here they come, to save us from ourselves once again and drive up cost!

Govt looks for ways to reduce table saw injuries

The Associated Press

Published: Wednesday, Oct. 5, 2011 - 8:41 am

-- With about 10 people losing a finger or mangling a hand in a table saw each day, the government has decided to take a closer look at the saws and how to make them safer.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission has voted unanimously to begin writing a rule aimed at reducing injuries from table saws.

Chairman Inez Tenenbaum says the "injuries resulting from the use of table saws are, in many cases, particularly gruesome."

The agency estimates that consumers suffered about 67,300 medically treated blade-contact injuries annually in 2007 and 2008.

The industry says those numbers don't reflect the newly designed guard systems that manufacturers started putting on saws in 2007 as way to shield woodworkers and others from injury.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

• Board Patron

TBH, table saws are pretty dangerous, especially when the guards are removed. In fact, I can't remember being in someone's shop who hasn't removed the guard. My father lost part of two fingers to a table saw by being careless so I know first hand (no pun intended) that the results of a table saw accident really are gruesome. What Big Brother will eventually come up with will surely add to the cost of these saws. However, if it adds $50 (or even $250) to the average saw cost it will probably end up as a net win given the huge cost of health care, especially emergency room fees. When I get back later today I'll have to find MY guard and put it back in place. Thanks for the reminder.

IIRC there is a product that will stop a saw in mili-seconds if the blade comes in contact with a body part. And no, I don't recall how they made it work. They had a video showing someone touching a hot dog to spinning blade and the saw stopped without cutting through the doggie. I think the cost was around $250 as an add on, but would be much cheaper if produced in mass quantities. I'll have to try to remember to research it and post a link here. Keepinig all my fingers will be worth the money to me.

"When table saws are outlawed, only outlaws will operate them" I think that they should require people who operate them to attend a training course so they can be licensed and bonded in tablesaw operation. Anyone caught operating a tablesaw without this piece of paper should be immediately locked up. Maybe something similar to the requirements in your state for building and installing signs would be appropriate. This will ensure that the public is protected, and that no one finds a finger :wave-finger: in their sign.

• Board Patron

Has anyone bought a new gas can. It has a safety switch then a lever to hold open. The only problem Is that you cant put the nozzle in what you are trying to fill so it takes two people or pour gas over what your filling until you hit the hole.

I also had a circle saw that took two hands to turn on then with the saw running you could cut a board.

Lastly a guy was improperly using our iron worker and cut the tip of his finger off. When the paramedics looked for the tip it was just below the warning sign with the picture that you could cut a finger off.

I remember seing an old episode of "Twilight Zone", "Outer limits" or some such where a doctor who had become a drunk stumbled upon a surgery kit from the future. In it was a scalpal that would cut through tissue but would not cut a blood vessel. Thus allowing him to operate on tumors, etc. Why don't the goverment just mandate that the medical community come up with that one. Then we could really save some lives.

• Board Patron

here is to silly government regulations :wave-finger:

Installation & Maintenance Services

Brian Phillips | expresssignandneon@sbcglobal.net | P. 812-882-3278

Express Sign & Neon | 119 S. 15th Street - Vincennes - IN 47591

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

Mangled a finger off in a log splitter once. It took 3 surgeries and 2 years of pain to get the finger to work again. They did re-attach it. My own fault completely but cost over $8,000.00 in medical bills. If a $50.00 additional charge could have prevented that, it would have been well worth the savings in the long run.

• Board Patron

I bought a push mower and it had a disclaimer not to use it to trim shrubs! If you are so stupid you need to be told (with pics) not to trim shrubs with a push mower mabye you need to have your head chopped of so you can't reproduce!

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

Neat show but how does it work?

Probably senses moisture? How do I add a pic, or did I lose that privelege with my rabble rouser status? :PutEmUp::lol_hitting:

• Board Patron

Good thing they used a Oscar Meyer weiner! LOL I wonder if the inventor trusts it enough to use "his" weiner!!!! HAHAHA

Edited by chubbygumby

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

I bought a push mower and it had a disclaimer not to use it to trim shrubs! If you are so stupid you need to be told (with pics) not to trim shrubs with a push mower mabye you need to have your head chopped of so you can't reproduce!

Chubby a push mower is one thing ... but a riding mower is a whole different story!

Edited by eng0270

Chubby a push mower is one thing ... but a riding mower is a whole different story!

Sorry ... I can't seem to attach photos???