ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Company phones for personal use

sunshine

We're planning on upgrading our crew's cells to smart phones. While talking about it we learned that several of the guys canceled their personal cell phone plans and are using the company phones as their personal phone after hours. Not a big deal for the most part, because there's been no problem with going over minutes. Thought it was interesting though that they decided on their own to give themselves a perk! Anyway, smart phones pose different problems and our Controller says that if someone is distracted by the phone and causes an accident, the company can be sued and held liable (there's precedent for this).

We want to let the guys continue to have this "perk", if it doesn't put us in jeopardy. We tend to call our guys after hours to tell them about schedule changes, ask questions about that day's jobs, etc., so it's nice that they don't leave the phones in the trucks, but how can you assure that they're not used for everything else, unless you pay someone to scan all the numbers on the phone bills? Looking for info on what others are doing. Thanks!

We're planning on upgrading our service crew cell phones to smart phones. Have others made that move already? How has it worked out?

How are you dealing with personal use of the phones after hours?

• Board Patron

I think you will just have to ask them to use the phones with discresion and hope you have honest people.

Installation & Maintenance Services

Brian Phillips | expresssignandneon@sbcglobal.net | P. 812-882-3278

Express Sign & Neon | 119 S. 15th Street - Vincennes - IN 47591

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

• Board Patron

We're planning on upgrading our crew's cells to smart phones. While talking about it we learned that several of the guys canceled their personal cell phone plans and are using the company phones as their personal phone after hours. Not a big deal for the most part, because there's been no problem with going over minutes. Thought it was interesting though that they decided on their own to give themselves a perk! Anyway, smart phones pose different problems and our Controller says that if someone is distracted by the phone and causes an accident, the company can be sued and held liable (there's precedent for this).

We want to let the guys continue to have this "perk", if it doesn't put us in jeopardy. We tend to call our guys after hours to tell them about schedule changes, ask questions about that day's jobs, etc., so it's nice that they don't leave the phones in the trucks, but how can you assure that they're not used for everything else, unless you pay someone to scan all the numbers on the phone bills? Looking for info on what others are doing. Thanks!

We're planning on upgrading our service crew cell phones to smart phones. Have others made that move already? How has it worked out?

How are you dealing with personal use of the phones after hours?

I currently provide service to a Petroleum Contractor in Oceandside, California. I do sub contract work, but he has about 25 in house technicians. They all have company phones that were supposed to be used for business only. The techs honored the "Business Only" rule for a short while before using the phones as their personal means of communication and information. Currently it has spun out of control and he is in the process of scrapping the smart phone in the field concept. Maybe you have employees who can handle the responsibility, but the company I am associated with just didn't.

Just keep a close eye on the accounting and control side of the program. Best of Luck..........

Dominic

"Don't be afraid to see what you see" - President Ronald Reagan

We have supplied company cell phones for several years and told our employees they were for their use 24/7. We even told them they could cancel their personal cell phones if they chose. We tell the employees that they are to be used during work hours for company business only (personal use within reason, we don't get stupid about it). We get detailed billing on all our cell phones and I scan them each month (don't look at each call, just looking for something out of the ordinary). They are also instructed as to what our plan minutes are and when our unlimited nights and weekends apply. If they go over the minutes, they pay for it, if it is personal. I can usually tell if someone is spending too much time on the phone by how much work is being billed. We have had abuses, and we deal with that on a case by case basis. I had one employee (now former) that was spending alot of time on the phone, his co-worker even complained about it to me. I told him to curtail the personal business on my dime. He told me I didn't have a right to monitor his phone usage, even though I paid for the phone. He told me he would use his personal phone and then I wouldn't be able to monitor his use. I told him all personal cell phones were banned from company property, trucks and work sites. He informed me I didn't have the right to do this, that he could use his phone if he damned well pleased. Needless to say he can now talk on his phone all he wants, but he no longer gets a paycheck from me.

I would be careful with smart phones, just alot more ways to abuse the priviledge.