ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Sign Industry Power Grab?

We will be updating this thread with further concerns.

The idea is to get all this and as much information out in the open. As a person or having a business of interest, you may not know what you may be voting on, be involved in. Understanding the issues and hearing both sides of these issues will help you make an educational decision.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

The "Rush, Sneak In Vote" is today, I hope people get a chance to be informed and know what their voting for. If you don't know, the don't vote for it an get it delayed.

@ Marrianne, What does it mean for Cali? Don't know, but from what I'm hearing California has no representation. As you know California is the ground zero for every environmentalist Berkinstock wearing, tree hugging, reusable grocery bag carring crackpot. Everything that happens here moves east.

With that, you will see and read about smaller regions like the southeast and others easily following along but you have to wonder when bigger more important regions and Associations like TSA and the Western States Sign Council & California having a more difficult time, these are big money regions and be weary when you see the same ol faces waving their pom poms saying "it's all okay". Their is a big struggle behind the scenes going on, especially in California and it's all dictated on "relationships", it just got a little too eerily quite over here in the west coast and we're not having any rolling black outs.

You know what they say about Texas, EVERYTHING'S big there! :cowboy:

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

This will effect California in many ways!

1. I elimanates regional councils which elimantes the guranteed geographic representation on the ISA board.

2, Californaia will not have even 1 representive on the ISA board. The way it currently works is Western States Sign Council

appoints the board member who they believe will be effective even if they have a dissenting voice.

Under the new ISA bylaws the board members nomination will be a popularity contest. This will stifle young up and comming leaders.

if you look at the current slate of new board members there are none from California.

New leaders should rise up from the bottom not be appointed from the top.

3. Under the new bylaws 1,400 plus custom sign companies will have no more say than 34 national sign companies.

4. As proposed the current nominating committee is incestuous, the nominating committee is the current Executive Committee plus

two other board members. This allows ISA to nominate those who will follow them on the committee.

5. Quorum, the goal to reduce the number of members that constitutes a quorum, Why would ISA want to change the ratio from 1 in 20 to 1 in 50 out of 2,400 members? This in my opinion only gives the membership less input.

6. California Electric Sign Association - Is very important to all sign comapnies because they have to deal with all the new issues and regulations

that eventullay find their way to other states. This puts California in the unique position to set presidence but, it also requires funding.

7. I believe sign companies who work in the trenches fighting city ordinance changes and code restrictions do a better job and have more at stake

we sometimes need help on fighting larger more costly issues but we only want assistance when requested not to have ISA send in somone to

do it for us. We have a vested interest in changes that can effect our business, employees, etc...

I expect the ISA board will vote to pass the new bylaws today and vote packets will be sent out to membership shortly after,

California ISA members will be key to voting No and putting ISA in a position to have to listen to membership and come up with something

everyone agrees with.

I welcome all views on this subject! I think the most important thing we can do is educate the very people who will be ask to vote.

Brian

This has been one interesting "Due" process. Not as interesting as the internal struggles of lines drawn between familiars, and it's held some silent so they can pay/give their "dues", favors paid in return. Favors to be paid later on, when it's someone else's turn. The Broccoli Eater has higher/bigger goals with ISA than with CSA so that was an all go there, we'll hear all about that in her diary blog.

Well the vote was passed, from what I hear some within made a motion to delay just a week to fully look at this and make possible suggestions, just a week and it was knocked down.

The result...Ya'll got Snubbed.

They say this organization is full of pure hearted volunteers only, the best of the best our industry has to offer. That's what's told to us here over and over again. Well, it's the good ol boy network doing that golf course thing again. It's just a little more out in the open now being here on the SS.

Another finger waving at your face from THEM, telling you...THEY know better, and know what's best for you.

I don't know what's to come down this road when important decisions are to be made on OUR industry especially in for my state of California but I can say if it's anything like what just took place internally, we / I expect worse. We got that Demand Response thing to deal with, the CEC's dim witted idea about dimming signs. Who represents OUR interests here in California for this upcoming lighting issue? Who knows the full spectrum of light sources, the pro's and con's??? Who? All I saw was a bunch of out of staters most of which market one type of lamp in their companies websites. I don't know about you but all I can envision is proposals from the association to go along with the proposals of the bureaucrats. Stack a program for the members on top of regulation, force the industry to be a member in order to do business.

I wonder, I wonder.....how some of those people who told me I'm/we're paranoid......are feeling now?

This re-org just got shoved through like Obama Care, hell with the people, bend over and grab you ankles.

Well, look at the bright side. Hopefully the International Sign Association will be serving cocktails in Vegas with napkins this time.

If you're part of this network and your asking too many questions or resistant to the New Order than you're told "You're spreading Misinformation...and you should stop"

post-3-0-49611200-1347492724.jpg

• !llumenati

I can't wait to hear msldesigner weigh in on this again, and say just how great this ISA issue is. Should be interesting. ...I mean he's so wide read and takes to heart, very seriously, this kind of stuff.

gn

Well, the Association Cheerleaders are Cheer leading again all over social media as thought.

All the usual's "Liking" each each others posts, backing the brother and sisterhood. The move to save face with the appearance of no opposition from within is in full effect. The usual's have put more of the usual into place and the same ol faces are doing the same ol thing. The same ol faces are just getting more wrinkles and no matter what 15 year old picture they use for their profile, in person they look 30 years older and it's no wonder....the stresses of politics.

Then------------------------------------------------------------Now

post-3-0-82127100-1348069847.jpgpost-3-0-44169200-1348070048.jpg

It's political season kicked into high gear and you would never know there was any opposition.

Yes the yay votes were higher because they were told "you will get your turn later and it will be YOUR turn to cash in the chips" & we'll "fix it later if it doesn't work out" & People voted based on what others voted for. The Nay voters were shown the door afterward and can expect no future, but at least they voted with their heart and conscious and they get to keep their soul. The ones who abstained, well.....that was as much of a fight as they were going to put up and it was their "no" but just a way to stay in the club.

I wonder....I wonder how all those association people who have been carrying on tradition, joining being apart of an association because their papi once was apart feel about all this?

They have to ask themselves, is Tradition still there? Is the original intent and good intention still being upheld?

Something tells me Magic Mouth just got bigger, but now....there are just more lil Magic Mouths spawning with "brainwashed thinking"....errrr....I meant "forward" thinking.

Comical, we get more of the same. Can't wait for the Sunshine, Rainbows, and trotting Unicorns to come out in the future Trade Magazine write ups where the victors write history.

sunshine.jpg

Glad I don't pay dues, I'll keep my soul. :laughing1:

• Board Patron

LOL Eric you need to learn to express your feeling. Keeping them all bottled up inside is bad for your health!!!

Installation & Maintenance Services

Brian Phillips | expresssignandneon@sbcglobal.net | P. 812-882-3278

Express Sign & Neon | 119 S. 15th Street - Vincennes - IN 47591

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

I can't wait to hear msldesigner weigh in on this again, and say just how great this ISA issue is. Should be interesting. ...I mean he's so wide read and takes to heart, very seriously, this kind of stuff.

gn

I won't even bother getting in all the details on how the Atlantic chapter of the Sign Association of Canada's participation in the neon installation regulation changes in New Brunswick allowed heavy-handed tactics to be put in place by the province (under a very anti-neon chief elec. inspector) and the overall result was a virtual wipe out of the neon industry thanks to those efforts.

I'll stay as an independant shop once I get back east for good in the next year. No industry association for me or my business.

gn

I won't even bother getting in all the details on how the Atlantic chapter of the Sign Association of Canada's participation in the neon installation regulation changes in New Brunswick allowed heavy-handed tactics to be put in place by the province (under a very anti-neon chief elec. inspector) and the overall result was a virtual wipe out of the neon industry thanks to those efforts.

I'll stay as an independant shop once I get back east for good in the next year. No industry association for me or my business.

The International Sign Association & others response would be that you're short sighted and you need to join their ranks in order for them to look after your interests, and that they know what's best for you.

The flip side of it is exactly as you say.

The associations have done the complete opposite, they've aided and enabled those who have an agenda of complete replacement of the light source. For years they have done NOTHING to come to aid to the Neon Industry when it comes to the public opinion of LEDs over Neon, how dangerous Neon is in hihg voltage, mercury, "non-efficient", never has this industry ever seen a public statement of just how "Efficient" neon is, or how safe it is when installed right by a qualified individual. Their so big on "Green", well if "Green is your fort-ay, then Neon is just about 99.9999% recyclable. We have never seen a seminar how merc lamps make sense, how cost efficient they are. Never have we seen any rebuttals to trade magazine or MFG claims Neon is dangerous and inefficient.

Instead they follow the advertising & Membership/show dollars and stay out of the way of the fray.

They do the complete opposite where there is regulation, they run to conjure proposals to the NEC board to have custom outline lighting and exterior border neon U.L. listed. TO this day, they won't EVER tell ANYONE who initiated this Neon Industry Killer Proposal. it's more of they know better than you and I.

But their their for the Merc battles where they roll along and turn it into a program.

If ISA wanted to be in the goods with the Neon community they could start by handing out exemption doc to all the Neon Community for "FREE", instead of trying to make it an all inclusive closed door our club only industry and our members like other trade associations do. But it's more of the same of rolling along and turning regulation into a program instead of fighting it.

Turn your back where it doesn't make profitable sense (in the past), but make a program where it can turn a profit (today).

My advice, join the Neon Group, and other competing associations. Help a cause/group who has YOUR interests in heart, not a group that wipes their feet all over you.

Welcome-Goodbye-Mat.jpg

The ISA board has voted and approved the reorganization. However, it must be ratified by the general membership. What a concept!

Like it or not, the changes put more emphasis on Regional Associations and gets us back to the "grass roots" level that founded ISA or NESA as it was in the beginning. So much for the "Power Grab" conspiracy theorist. "Brother and Sisterhood", what a joke! We don't even have a secret handshake.

And, to answer the gentleman's question above, Yes, the tradition is still there, as is the original intent, and the good intention is still being upheld. So, just continue to stand on the outside throwing barbs, and let us continue continue to accomplish things for the good of the industry. And yes, even for the good of sign shops that don't want to pay dues and have our assistance on fighting local and national issues. We have your back anyway.

I have tried to be a voice of reason here, but I am afraid it is falling on deaf ears. Much like the County and City Councils and Planners I speak to almost monthly when trying to salvage a good code or speak in resistance to a bad one. But, sometimes, just sometimes, I get my point across. Here's hoping ..........

The ISA board has voted and approved the reorganization. However, it must be ratified by the general membership. What a concept!

Like it or not, the changes put more emphasis on Regional Associations and gets us back to the "grass roots" level that founded ISA or NESA as it was in the beginning. So much for the "Power Grab" conspiracy theorist. "Brother and Sisterhood", what a joke! We don't even have a secret handshake.

And, to answer the gentleman's question above, Yes, the tradition is still there, as is the original intent, and the good intention is still being upheld. So, just continue to stand on the outside throwing barbs, and let us continue continue to accomplish things for the good of the industry. And yes, even for the good of sign shops that don't want to pay dues and have our assistance on fighting local and national issues. We have your back anyway.

I have tried to be a voice of reason here, but I am afraid it is falling on deaf ears. Much like the County and City Councils and Planners I speak to almost monthly when trying to salvage a good code or speak in resistance to a bad one. But, sometimes, just sometimes, I get my point across. Here's hoping ..........

How exactly have we, as an independent neon shop that doesn't pay dues, been helped by an association has done next to squat to foster the truth about our industry while at the same time propagating dishonest misinformation?

Well, associations are always a good tool in aiding local business's with their sign ordinances, no doubt.

On the bigger matters, that's where they fall short.

As for the re-org vote, there was a huge vote to ram it thru with little education on the vote itself. The result was rush the bylaws and deal with the affiliate agreement later. Hell some states didn't even know what they were voting on, they just voted yes because others did. The usual Cheerleaders were there to wave their pom poms, tell them "Rah Rah Rah" etc etc etc.

step%20right%20up.jpg

This was like the house voting on Obama care, no one read the bill, it was just a strong arm to get everyone to vote it thru.

All the in fighting from within and heated arguments with individuals from what I hear was interesting, wish I was a fly on the wall to observe.

Best of luck to you and your new re-orged org in the new upcoming socialized movement. It looks like from what I hear, it will work today, but not in the upcoming years. But maybe that's the the idea, re-org again later.

That's what socializing does, it can't pay for itself. Well, we'll see what happens. Hopefully everyone's represented, everyone can fund themselves, and well.

When you have the money to pay for a company on a consultant basis to get what you want, market the ideas to it's base in such a way this happens, have things scheduled a certain way..... Well......anyway I hope it all works out in the best way for out industry but I'm just not so optimistic until I myself see drastic stances and follow thru's.

free-magic-show.jpg