ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

"Ice Holes"

my buddy and I were planning a dive trip to a local fishing lake last Saturday. He was doing some research online about the lake and came across Jupiter entertainment that was filming an upcoming reality TV show called "ice holes". On the website they said they were looking for interesting characters. I laughed when he told me that and I said you might as well send them an e-mail and tell them we are going to be diving in the area. They contacted us back right away and asked if we could do some underwater filming for them. We were planning on diving some cars sized boulders in a fishing hotspot. They wanted us to dive a pressure ridge that they had been building bridges across all season. For my warm weathered brothers, a pressure ridge is created when the ice freezes,expands and has nowhere to go. We said no problem.I was surprised seeing all the underwater structure. I have hundreds of ice dives under my belt and 99.9% of them the bottom of the ice is flat smooth. Here is the footage that we shot, it's a little long but an interesting view,especially, if you have ever ice fished. :lol:

post-1122-0-03129500-1360274409.jpg

post-1122-0-89986300-1360274439.jpg

post-1122-0-86145900-1360274496.jpg

Gee, I think I would like to dive into a freezing lake today - not my idea of a good time but enjoyed the video, pretty cool stuff. I did not see any Pike though, very disappointing.

• Board Patron

Very cool!!! I had an idea you were nuts but now I am sure!!!!!! LOL

Installation & Maintenance Services

Brian Phillips | expresssignandneon@sbcglobal.net | P. 812-882-3278

Express Sign & Neon | 119 S. 15th Street - Vincennes - IN 47591

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

yes, It gets pretty slow here in the wintertime.not very many installations scheduled.....

With the right amount of equipment and training it's really not that bad. The only exposed flesh is on my face. It's stings for a little while and then goes numb, kind of like a trip to the dentist office.as far as seeing fish, this dive was about filming towards the surface,as far as you being disappointed, honey badger dive team don't care :PutEmUp::lol_hitting:

I used to dive for the local sheriff's department. In one season I think we had close to 18 hours under the ice. It's like anything, the more you do it the easier it is.

• !llumenati

As a fellow diver I have dove in some weird places, including 0 visibility, but your dive is awesome. I watched the vid, and then found the description of the video which answered some questions, i.e. the safety rope or use of newer gps tchnology, and fact that it appeared your head, camera was at surface level for some of the dive. Was their warmer water current causing the tunnels, or just a cause of the crack and bridge? How long was the dive, using standard air, or a nitrox? Guessing air because of the zero depth? What type of dive light to get that narrow a beam? Was portions of ice brittle to contact like coral or all quite thick like seen?

Really looked like fun! Can you imagine an ocean dive under ice with all the cool native ocean critters? Now that would be a really great one. Thanks so much for sharing.....beats the hell out of boring signs.

gn

As a fellow diver I have dove in some weird places, including 0 visibility, but your dive is awesome. I watched the vid, and then found the description of the video which answered some questions, i.e. the safety rope or use of newer gps tchnology, and fact that it appeared your head, camera was at surface level for some of the dive. Was their warmer water current causing the tunnels, or just a cause of the crack and bridge? How long was the dive, using standard air, or a nitrox? Guessing air because of the zero depth? What type of dive light to get that narrow a beam? Was portions of ice brittle to contact like coral or all quite thick like seen?

Really looked like fun! Can you imagine an ocean dive under ice with all the cool native ocean critters? Now that would be a really great one. Thanks so much for sharing.....beats the hell out of boring signs.

gn

thanks, I normally prefer the ocean with the warm water. But living in Minnesota, play the cards I was dealt and the dive were opportunity presents itself. I would much rather rely on a rope that is tethered to me, then any electronics to get me back to the hole. As far as I am aware, I don't believe there is GPS technology that works for a diver underwater. There was no warm water! LOL. The structure was created by the ice expanding as it froze and having nowhere to go. The different layers you see are fragments of ice. Some of them are solid, and some of them are loose.my dive lasted only 25 min. I had a small leak in my dry suit glove causing me to abort the dive early. My longest dive under the ice was 93 min. I normally dive nitrox and was on a 39% mix on this dive. we use hand and foot warmers insider dry suit at different locations on our body. The oxygen enriched air really heats them up! I am also a lot less tired diving nitrox. We use an dive rite HD cave canister style light.I have logged hundreds of dives under the ice, and this was by far the coolest structure I have ever seen on the bottom of the ice. We were actually swimming through the crevices. we will be heading back this weekend, to dive the structure we planned on diving last weekend. I would love to dive and explore some of the glacier formations.

Awesome, going ice fishing this weekend myself with my mini-me. hopefully I dont see it from the other side :)

good luck fishing! you probably liked seeing the auger from the reverse angle! Whenever I am driving on the ice, I never have my seatbelt on and I usually have my windows down. If it is really hairy, I will have a pony scuba bottle next to me, and the door cracked open with my hand on it :pillepalle:

• !llumenati

that was the real cool. Can you have them dump a tip up in next time , would like to see the reaction to the bait when it is put in there. You ever film fish hangin out, would like to see where they position themselves in during the colder months and maybe even how they react when on the line and if they follow each other when hooked.

GOOD things happen for a reason......

that was the real cool. Can you have them dump a tip up in next time , would like to see the reaction to the bait when it is put in there. You ever film fish hangin out, would like to see where they position themselves in during the colder months and maybe even how they react when on the line and if they follow each other when hooked.

most of the time during the day we don't see the game fish. We will see a lot of times dust clouds on the bottom where they took off. If we find some good structure we sometimes see fish or if we dive at night. we are pretty large and noisy with the bubbles so most of the time they spook

Edited by shooter