ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Unions

EvoLight

Damn Nathan! I'd say you've certainly earned that 8k.

that has been my experience with unions. When I read the post, I wasn't sure if I even wanted to respond. :gdmornincoffee:

I'm not sure how I earned the $8000? The way I look at it, I had to double my loss for dealing with them again :dizzy:

I wonder where all that non vested money goes? Maybe a union person could answer that for me....

Well, what I meant was for all the bullshit you've been put through I hope at least get that 8k.

That's a big ass fish! What is that thing?

All that money has been written off long ago, it does add to my distaste for unions though.

It is a 30lb black grouper I speared in Key West

The non vested money goes into a "slush fund" to be used for whatever the hell they want. My guess would be strippers on a nice long "business trip" in Vegas for the thieves at the top!

That's the beauty of unions...they aren't regulated or overseen by anyone so they can strong arm both the employers and their own union members.

Just ask Jimmy Hoffa how the unions operate....oh wait, I don't think he's available for comment.

I don't post here much but had to chime in. I am located in Southern NJ, many of the unions have a tight grip in many industries here. But what makes me REALLY furious is when hurricane Sandy left a devastation from NJ up to the NY region. Volunteers came from many locations only to be turned away ( electricians ) since they did not have a union affiliation! See link below. WTF, seriously? Now tell me how this benefits us! People had their homes totally destroyed, no power, no heat, etc!!!!

http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/02/new-jersey-town-to-ala-volunteer-utility-crew-dont-help-with-sandy-unless-youre-unionized/

• Like 1

I don't post here much but had to chime in. I am located in Southern NJ, many of the unions have a tight grip in many industries here. But what makes me REALLY furious is when hurricane Sandy left a devastation from NJ up to the NY region. Volunteers came from many locations only to be turned away ( electricians ) since they did not have a union affiliation! See link below. WTF, seriously? Now tell me how this benefits us! People had their homes totally destroyed, no power, no heat, etc!!!!

http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/02/new-jersey-town-to-ala-volunteer-utility-crew-dont-help-with-sandy-unless-youre-unionized/'>http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/02/new-jersey-town-to-ala-volunteer-utility-crew-dont-help-with-sandy-unless-youre-unionized/

"The IBEW, connected with the politically powerful AFL-CIO" is all you need to read.

I'll say it again, and I know I'm beating a dead horse here but it's all about the money. Unions, politicians, and government in general care much more about themselves and the amount of money they can generate than the actual well being of people.

This is what happens when "groups" of people are created. Wether it be unions, political groups, religious groups, or any other. Once you create a group of people that has the ability to generate money, you also create the "with us, or against us" mentality.

Regarding the hurricane victims on the east coast. If the IBEW gets ALL the work, then they make ALL the money. Which means the AFL-CIO gets more in donations from the IBEW so they will have more money do donate to the politicians that agree to do whatever it is their agenda may be.

Meanwhile, people struggle without power waiting for the union electricians while experienced non union electricians sit by and watch people suffer without power.

Pretty disgusting....

Signgirl....I'm not over paid. I barely make it by like the rest of the country. I too have been working my ass for for many years and did it for a long time for someone else. I made the choice. I went out on my own. I am a working owner. I do it ALL. I don't sit at my desk all day. I have actual work that I perform and any day you want to go head to head on skills, training, knowledge of the industry, or technical issues I'd love to. I'm not saying that you don't know the business but I'd like to clarify for you and all the other haters that union shops struggle just like non-union shops but it's the quality of work produced that keeps the customers coming back.

Rigby, you are just a hater. You must not have anything to do but sit on your ass all day and play at your computer and think of ways that the world is unfair to you and must have done you wrong in some way. I didn't pull the info out of my ass about the UAW, and it is a dam shame, but do you think that this is the only industry that large corporations have totally screwed the American people with. I did work for McDonalds a few years ago and 80% of the product was coming from China. It was all crap but this was the deal the worlds largest fast food chain made so they could put their stores in there country. The unions made this happen, right??? How about thinking that american worker don't like to work but exspect to be paid to dollar for doing nothing. This isn't a union issue this is a lack of personnal pride that this country is coming to. It's the unions that have been recognizing this bad trend and trying to shift things back to american shops. We fight for this right to make our own product and keep it here in the US but so many non-union corporations don't feel thats cost effective. This is the unions fault to I guess. Go fishing.

People, it's not the union or non-union shops that are bringing our country down. It's the lack of pride and professionalism that todays society has come complacent with excepting. I for one am not one of those people and work very hard to curve this attitude. I would hope that every shop, union or non-union, would start putting some pride back into there people and start bringing the country back up to speed. It's not just a one sided effort for this to happen and maybe some people need to stop living in the past and start focusing on the future or the next thing we'll kow is that we're all speaking something other than english. You all might want to take that issue up with your legislators because they are the ones that seem to feel it's a better deal to give a tax break to another country but keep screwing over it's own people. That's us for those of you that don't get it. Start standing up for yourselfs vises looking for exscuses why things aren't going your way. You don't have to be a union member to see this, you just need to recognize it, and not keep excepting it.

Pleasure speaking with you all. Have a great day.

• Like 1

• !llumenati

I am sure that a few of you are waiting for this......I AM NOT UNION

I have all the licenses and certifications just like the Union has. I work any place I want to. I work anytime I want to. I answer to no one.

I am located in Brooklyn NY..I work in New York City everyday without any issues. I work with every Union except the sign union.

....Stop drinking the Union Cool Aid and get with reality. I have never met any Union Sign man who works everyday, They are always waiting for the next big job to come and then get laid off.

I have seen some of the best signs and worst sign from Union and Non Union Sign Companies. A label does not mean quaility.

NYC does not require Union Installations, Just that you are NYC Licensed. Pass it on.

• Board Patron

I am sure that a few of you are waiting for this......I AM NOT UNION

I have all the licenses and certifications just like the Union has. I work any place I want to. I work anytime I want to. I answer to no one.

I am located in Brooklyn NY..I work in New York City everyday without any issues. I work with every Union except the sign union.

....Stop drinking the Union Cool Aid and get with reality. I have never met any Union Sign man who works everyday, They are always waiting for the next big job to come and then get laid off.

I have seen some of the best signs and worst sign from Union and Non Union Sign Companies. A label does not mean quaility.

NYC does not require Union Installations, Just that you are NYC Licensed. Pass it on.

Paul;

You answer to no one.

What about the Wife or the IRS...........................

Just adding a little levity to such a solemn subject that has sparked emotion from all.

Best

"Don't be afraid to see what you see" - President Ronald Reagan

If I act like a union, I go to federal prison for extortion.

d) Whoever, with intent to extort from any person, firm, association, or corporation, any money or other thing of value, transmits in interstate or foreign commerce any communication containing any threat to injure the property or reputation of the addressee or of another or the reputation of a deceased person or any threat to accuse the addressee or any other person of a crime, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both.

The statement about how unions are written into laws in NYC is about quality is pure BS. It's more like union dues go to the slush fund to lobby, and bribe local politicians into locking out non union work.

No one in a union seems to care about the founding principle of LIBERTY.

I used to belong to Local 484, then merged into Local 510 here in Northern California. I have a withdrawel card but don't know it it is still valid or if I would ever use it. I did a bit of checking, Local 510 has 11 Sign Shops but 48 Display/Exhibit shops showing as Union.

Here are just some of the Onsite Rules that drive people nuts for the Exhibit side of things:

"The installation or dismantling of an exhibit requiring the use of hand tools, or which takes one exhibitor more than 30 minutes, or which is greater than ten feet in width, requires the hiring of labor from IUPAT Local 510. You may hire labor directly through your choice of an exhibitor appointed contractor such as Absolute I & D or through the general contractor. Full-time exhibitor personnel may lay out and assemble products that they manufacture. However, all other material (display boards, backdrops, stands, or anything else on which a product is displayed, attached, or made part of), must be handled by a union exhibit installer. This includes installing and removing of any flooring, and the uncrating and recrating of items using tools.

Teamster Local 85 has exclusive jurisdiction over all freight brought or delivered to the show floor. The general contractor controls dock access, and may station a teamster at any entrance to enforce this regulation. Hotel personnel may deliver items to the edge of the show floor, but then must surrender all items to an exhibitor or a teamster for transport to the exhibit space. Teamster material handling equipment includes dollies, hand-trucks, pallet-jacks, forklifts, and genie lifts. Genie lifts, consequentially, may not be cost-effective here.

One exhibitor may hand-carry his or her own materials into an exhibit facility only if such is small enough to be handled on one trip and without the use of wheels."

Funny you mention exhibits.

I think anyone here knows what the process it is to work with unions when setting up a booth at ISA's Expo and know what a butt of all jokes that union is that takes your pallet to the floor and all the rules you must follow what you as an exhibitor can do and what you must leave for the union. Ever see all those union guys standing around?? Like paying for an exhibit isn't enough, now tack on the union "labor" fee's.

I used to belong to Local 484, then merged into Local 510 here in Northern California. I have a withdrawel card but don't know it it is still valid or if I would ever use it. I did a bit of checking, Local 510 has 11 Sign Shops but 48 Display/Exhibit shops showing as Union.

Here are just some of the Onsite Rules that drive people nuts for the Exhibit side of things:

"The installation or dismantling of an exhibit requiring the use of hand tools, or which takes one exhibitor more than 30 minutes, or which is greater than ten feet in width, requires the hiring of labor from IUPAT Local 510. You may hire labor directly through your choice of an exhibitor appointed contractor such as Absolute I & D or through the general contractor. Full-time exhibitor personnel may lay out and assemble products that they manufacture. However, all other material (display boards, backdrops, stands, or anything else on which a product is displayed, attached, or made part of), must be handled by a union exhibit installer. This includes installing and removing of any flooring, and the uncrating and recrating of items using tools.

Teamster Local 85 has exclusive jurisdiction over all freight brought or delivered to the show floor. The general contractor controls dock access, and may station a teamster at any entrance to enforce this regulation. Hotel personnel may deliver items to the edge of the show floor, but then must surrender all items to an exhibitor or a teamster for transport to the exhibit space. Teamster material handling equipment includes dollies, hand-trucks, pallet-jacks, forklifts, and genie lifts. Genie lifts, consequentially, may not be cost-effective here.

One exhibitor may hand-carry his or her own materials into an exhibit facility only if such is small enough to be handled on one trip and without the use of wheels."

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

I was at a sign show once in Vegas and we had displays we needed to get power to. We had to hire a union electrician to run and extension cord. Between his cost and the cord rental I was charged $168.00.

Over 60 posts and still haven't seen any real $$$$$.

Master Sign Hanger, Rigger, Crane operator, NCCCO crane lic, Welding lic, Rigging foreman, OSHA 30, Fire guard and Torch lic, and I'm sure I am forgetting a few others.....You may want to update the Dept of Buildings because your missing a few on their website...

Hey Paul Signs.... How did I know that you'd be the one guy to post all your accomplishments and licences that you hold for NYC. Yes, I stand corrected it's not that you have to be Union to install signs in NYC but.... every sign that is installed in NYC must be inspected and approved by a UNION shop before it can be installed. CORRECT So the question is do you pay the extra money to have your signs inspected or just hire a Union shop to install and inspect it all for one price? More than likely you'll get it at a discount if the salesman knows what he or she is doing. So thanks for correcting me and when I folllowed up with my BA from Philly, Fred (and he says HI), you were the one name that he could think of that was non-union in NYC that could corret me. Thanks Again, much appreciated. How much do you charge to have your clients signs inspected again >>>>>

For the record I an Union and I work everyday. I don't sit back and wait for that "One Big Job". If you've been doing this long enough then you know the reality of what it takes to keep a shop running no matter if your union or not. I know you have such a grand repore with #137 and I'm sure the feelings mutual. Next time your down by Philly doing a job you should let me know and we'll come by an swap job horror stories and I'll bring Freddy by to wash your truck and clean up that anti-union sticker you so proudly display.

Have a great day and stay warm, it's cold outside.

Signgirl....I'm not over paid. I barely make it by like the rest of the country. I too have been working my ass for for many years and did it for a long time for someone else. I made the choice. I went out on my own. I am a working owner. I do it ALL. I don't sit at my desk all day. I have actual work that I perform and any day you want to go head to head on skills, training, knowledge of the industry, or technical issues I'd love to. I'm not saying that you don't know the business but I'd like to clarify for you and all the other haters that union shops struggle just like non-union shops but it's the quality of work produced that keeps the customers coming back.

Rigby, you are just a hater. You must not have anything to do but sit on your ass all day and play at your computer and think of ways that the world is unfair to you and must have done you wrong in some way. I didn't pull the info out of my ass about the UAW, and it is a dam shame, but do you think that this is the only industry that large corporations have totally screwed the American people with. I did work for McDonalds a few years ago and 80% of the product was coming from China. It was all crap but this was the deal the worlds largest fast food chain made so they could put their stores in there country. The unions made this happen, right??? How about thinking that american worker don't like to work but exspect to be paid to dollar for doing nothing. This isn't a union issue this is a lack of personnal pride that this country is coming to. It's the unions that have been recognizing this bad trend and trying to shift things back to american shops. We fight for this right to make our own product and keep it here in the US but so many non-union corporations don't feel thats cost effective. This is the unions fault to I guess. Go fishing.

People, it's not the union or non-union shops that are bringing our country down. It's the lack of pride and professionalism that todays society has come complacent with excepting. I for one am not one of those people and work very hard to curve this attitude. I would hope that every shop, union or non-union, would start putting some pride back into there people and start bringing the country back up to speed. It's not just a one sided effort for this to happen and maybe some people need to stop living in the past and start focusing on the future or the next thing we'll kow is that we're all speaking something other than english. You all might want to take that issue up with your legislators because they are the ones that seem to feel it's a better deal to give a tax break to another country but keep screwing over it's own people. That's us for those of you that don't get it. Start standing up for yourselfs vises looking for exscuses why things aren't going your way. You don't have to be a union member to see this, you just need to recognize it, and not keep excepting it.

I love how you accuse me of sitting on my computer all day as I'm reading what must have taken you a half hour to write.

Kenn, you have what many call a bit of an "I" problem. In your first (long boring) paragraph you will notice you use the word "I" ten times. You do this because you're in love with yourself. You are the perfect stereotype Union egomaniac that thinks because he belongs to a gang he has this experience and knowledge that come with paying and playing by the union rules.

The truth Ken, with you and many of the Union companies in my area that I personally deal with ( yesterday I spent an hour explaining simple ship to a Union shop owner) is that you pay and play so you will get work that you would NEVER get otherwise because of your lack of ability. Many customers will assume, because they are clueless and have been brainwashed over the years that union workers are more skilled than non union. You need that edge, and you love the fact that you think there is some big gang behind you backing you up. Now you're "name dropping" your union buddies to add some sort of (what you think will be) fear into a non union worker.

Like Signgirl said earlier....all you do is prove our point over and over with every post you make.

Now you can call me a hater AGAIN and spend another half hour telling everyone how great you are and who you know!

• Like 1

• !llumenati

Kenny...I guess you drank lots of the "Union Cool Aid" and read up on the properganda booklet.

For the Record....There is NO rules or requirements in New York City that say "Signs must be installed by Union" anyone with a NYC Sign Hangers License can pull sign permits and Install any sign in all boros of NYC INcluding Times Square.

Inspections.....What the F* are you talking about. That is a pipe dream, a fantasy of the wildest imagination. Again there is NO Inspections required for any sign. Especially by a Union. That is an extortion of money and products of the outer state companies. Just more ways to steal.

The educated sign company is my best customer.

Show me your "Inspection" requirements. I DO NOT PAY anything to any union. Period.

Licenses...again I have what I need when I need it. Thank you for keeping the Buildings Dept jumping at every phone call. Paul is here, Paul is there. They are well aware of the false calls and we talk each time. In the end...I'm still working, right ?

I do speak with the owners of several NYC Union Companies and get the exact truth of whats going on. I do get the heads up on all the issues. They continue to give me work and watch the Union self destuct. Their answer is.....Bottom line, we need money to live.

Everytime the Union opens their mouth, I get more customers and they find out they were robbed for years.

Here is a True Union Story. A big National needed a complete location done. The Union goes on strike. They call me and ask me to install. I agree and say I will do the job for the Union Price. Job needs to be completed with in the same week. They tell me the Union said 6 men, 5 days. Thats a full 40 hrs each. Everything is set. I start to Install and the Union shows up to picket. I get the entire job completed with 4 men in 13 hrs. Whos the winner here ? Thanks for the customer and all the others.

This is a Union Issue subject, The issue was and still is....Unions, Everyone has a choice, and mine is not Unions,

Again...thank you for all your support and keeping an eye out for me.

• Like 1

I love how you accuse me of sitting on my computer all day as I'm reading what must have taken you a half hour to write.

Kenn, you have what many call a bit of an "I" problem. In your first (long boring) paragraph you will notice you use the word "I" ten times. You do this because you're in love with yourself. You are the perfect stereotype Union egomaniac that thinks because he belongs to a gang he has this experience and knowledge that come with paying and playing by the union rules.

The truth Ken, with you and many of the Union companies in my area that I personally deal with ( yesterday I spent an hour explaining simple ship to a Union shop owner) is that you pay and play so you will get work that you would NEVER get otherwise because of your lack of ability. Many customers will assume, because they are clueless and have been brainwashed over the years that union workers are more skilled than non union. You need that edge, and you love the fact that you think there is some big gang behind you backing you up. Now you're "name dropping" your union buddies to add some sort of (what you think will be) fear into a non union worker.

Like Signgirl said earlier....all you do is prove our point over and over with every post you make.

Now you can call me a hater AGAIN and spend another half hour telling everyone how great you are and who you know!

Rigby, poor Kenn is a narcissist, by definition. (generalized personality trait characterized by egotism, vanity + conceit; overestimates his abilities and has an excessive need for admiration and affirmation). You can't have a conversation with someone like this, though I enjoy how he continues to make our argument.

Back to the drawing board. I guess now I really know / understand the reason for the inflatables, frustration :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

• Board Patron

I'm offended as a tax payer and American that my government would giver preferential treatment to a company based on the owners gender, ethnicity or if their a union shop, period. We don't need affirmative action for contract work.

On the website....I'm just being nosey and was curious to see what your site had to say about what you do and what work you have done. I'd figure you would have a website to show off what kind of shop you are and work you have done for potential clients.

So you work out of your house and you're a union shop? I'm confused

I haven't read the whole thread but...

In the Phila area you can be a one man/woman owner operator and also a member of the sheet metal union. It's a bit of a complicated affair in this area. I personally have a shop (good ahead and google me) and all of the expenses that go with it. Quite often I think I'd be better off working out of a large garage from home. If you don't fabricate (I still do a bit of this and that), but just do service and installations you don't need a large shop. No Landlord to pay, no building insurance, no need to heat/cool XXXX square feet, etc. Darn that sounds good right now when I need to call and order heating oil. There are a number of small operations around the Phila area. I think that the union reps are hoping that someone will become the next Persona.

I too am in need of a web site, but it's just another of those things that I'll do when I "find a spare moment." However those "spare moments" as rare as a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow and I just can't see myself paying anyone to do it for me. I'm cheap, I admit it.

• Board Patron

I think it's time for a campfire, and a Kumbaya sing along.

Mark;

As the infamous Rodney King once said........... "Can we all just get along?'

Best

"Don't be afraid to see what you see" - President Ronald Reagan

That probably won't happen....not when we create groups and organizations that have people inside and outside. Religion and politics are pretty good examples of this.

It is Friday though!