ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

National Service Companies

Received a fax this afternoon for a service call at a location 50 miles from me. Request stated they would pay no more than $50.00 per hour for travel, and no more than one hour. Had a $275.00 NTE amount. I wrote DECLINED across the order and faxed it back. Received a call saying the travel rates should not have been on request. Wanted my rates, gave them the rates port to port + fuel charge. Told me they didn't pay port to port. I told them I didn't pay for travel out of my pocket. Who do these clowns think they are that they get to set our rates & terms? Cost me the same per hour for my men, whether they are driving or working, also cost me fuel and time for truck both directions. I'm fed up with these SOB's that want me to work for free, then take forever to pay, and want me to be grateful to work for them. They make more off the service call than we do, and they aren't out anything. I say F**K'em all. If you won't allow me to make money and pay me on time I WILL NOT WORK FOR YOU.

• Like 2

stay away from Emcon. Took 6 months to pay for a $300 service call. kept asking for more documents everytime we called. Changed their status to DO NOT SELL in our system

• Board Patron

They sell these unrealistic schedules to these customers just to get the account, then they want those of us that actually do the work to work for nothing so they can sit behind a desk and make the bulk of the money! We have a couple of those. We used to try to make their schedules, but we stopped doing that. We work on OUR SCHEDULE, and if that ain't good enough for them then they have to find someone else. Twenty four hour response time is just not reasonable anymore unless it is an absolute emergency (and a long time customer that I know is going to pay me as soon as I send them the invoice) - Then they want to wait 45, 60, 90 days to pay - sometimes even longer (and you have to beg for it then) when you know they are getting paid well before that. The few that we have know we do quality work, so they wait on us - Some don't wait and end up calling us in the end because the person that worked for nothing that they sent out screwed it up so it ends up costing them double what it would have had they just waited a day or two for us to go the first time!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Board Patron

National Gate & Glass

Hmm, we do service for them and haven't had much of a problem. Not a huge amount, but about 8-10 calls a year. What they want you to do is go there, and start to diagnose the problem. Once you reach the NTE amount you STOP and do nothing more - this amount includes your travel back and forth btw. You can usually call them and get the NTE raised if it's not way over the amount. Say you have a ballast and four lamps which (with your travel & site time) would be $412.80 and the NTE was $275. I'm picking numbers ouf of thin air, but you prob already guessed that. You call them, explain what it will cost and they'll usually give you a verbal OK then and there.

If it's way over thier NTE, you just got paid to survey the sign for a future service call. You would go back and issue a written quote, they submit it to the customer and then you go back and finish everything up, including your first trip charge. A couple of times we did not go back and finish the call but were always paid for the first trip.

It has been a couple of months since we did anything for them, so things might have changed. They are a bit picky about the paperwork requirements, require before/after photos and you need to call in/out. Also, they deduct $7 (or is it $10?) from the invoice for "overhead", but it's easy to deal with that.

Now I have never done anything 50 miles away for them, so that might be part of the issue. I'd call and discuss it with person issuing the work order. Of course if you can't reach an agreement, then you just don't go. YMMV