ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Sign Removal Death

Erik Sine

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57072022-78/gillies-crane-sign-biehler.html.csp

post-3-0-39005600-1383499061.jpg

Utah sign company owner killed when crane malfunctions
Man was replacing sign in Bountiful when equipment malfunctioned.

By stephen hunt

| The Salt Lake Tribune
First Published Nov 01 2013 02:59 pm • Last Updated Nov 01 2013 10:37 pm

The owner of a West Valley City sign company was killed Friday morning while working from a cherry picker crane in Bountiful.

Richard Gillies, 66, of Gillies Signs & Design Inc., was replacing a sign at an out-of-business Blockbuster store near 500 South and 200 West at about 11:30 a.m. when the truck-mounted crane apparently malfunctioned, according to Assistant Bountiful Police Chief Ed Biehler.

Gillies was in the bucket of the crane when the problem occurred, Biehler said.

When Gillies’ son, a man in his 30s, attempted to maneuver the crane from below, there was an additional malfunction which pressed Gillies up against an overhanging facade and then flung him forward toward the building, Biehler said.

Gilles was crushed against the building and fell from the bucket to the ground 10 to 15 feet below, Biehler said.

Other workers inside the building, which is being turned into a fitness club, performed CPR on the victim until emergency personnel arrived.

Gillies was flown to University Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Officials from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration were investigating the accident, and members of the state medical examiner’s office also were at the scene, Bielher said.

According to his company website, Richard Gillies has been in the sign business for over 35 years.

DONATIONS FOR GILLIES MEMORIAL DONATION FUND

http://fundly.com/richard-gillies-memorial-donations

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

• Board Patron

Its sad and a remind to wear a harness and actually hook it in. no matter how much experience you have, anything could go wrong.

• Like 1

63 foot Elliott v60

50 foot 8 ton crane/auger

Skid steer with forks and dirt bucket

www.signworksinc.com

www.wehangsigns.com

Signworks Inc.
Toronto, Canada
416-653-7227
1-877-912-7446

• Board Patron

what brand???

last inspection???

63 foot Elliott v60

50 foot 8 ton crane/auger

Skid steer with forks and dirt bucket

www.signworksinc.com

www.wehangsigns.com

Signworks Inc.
Toronto, Canada
416-653-7227
1-877-912-7446

• Board Patron

Sounds like the guy with all the experience was crushed in the bucket while the 30 year old ....experienced 30 year old?........ was at the controls....wait a minute you wouldn't catch me in the bucket with a newbie at the controls.

I've lost pay refusing to have a questionably experienced guy fly me around in a Skyhook bucket/attachment/contraption piece of shit since they want the know-how guy in the bucket. Don't worry he's operated that equipment that we hardly ever fix before, you'll be fine.

Condolences to another sign man and his family.

The operator was the mans son. I'm sure if he could turn back time he would be the first to alter what happened. So my heart goes out to the man.

And like the family farm, which is still the most dangerous workplace in America, the family sign business can fall prey to the same conditions that can lead to accidents like this. Don't just learn from your mistakes. Be vigilant and learn from others.

I was imvolved in a bucket accident 18 years ago. Family business I was the neon bender with the owers son who taught me, and I was doing an install with the father. I was in the bucket, no strap, and my truck was hit by a huge box truck. I few 3 stories to the ground in the middle of the hiway. Shattered my ankle, broke parts of my back, pretty well screwed up, but alive......took me years to get back and many surgeries later. Now I just bend, no istalls for me thanks.

This is a tradgity for the family. We can all be alittle more careful.

• Board Patron

How sad. Family owned, like me, or large corporation, some of these guys get careless (hard headed) sometimes. "It won't happen to me" mentality. They put the harness on and either don't, or "forget" to latch in. What the hell good is the thing if you aren't hooked to the bucket??? I raise hell all of the time around here and they get all pissed off when I do, but I have never, and won't ever if I can help it, have an accident on my watch!! Better pissed off than dead!! My sympathies to his family. Especially his son. I can't imagine how he is feeling today.

my heart goes out to the family.

hindsight is always 20/20, but better to be safe than sorry. harness MUST be hooked-in at all times. malfunction in the controls on lifts is cause for immediate shut-down of equipment until repaired.