ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Here's a sign we I did for an old longtime client who asked me to remove one of my favorite little signs that I did for him a couple of years ago and replace it with a much larger wall sign.

This time around I got the opportunity to get some very good advice from Sean (Fishing Nut) and Gary Nutting from this board in the early on stages of the project. In the end it swung another direction with color and the project got finalized with Tecnolux's Ruby Red pumped argon in 12mm for the lettering and their 4500 Tri-phosphor white in a fat 18mm for the outer border for that subtle accent look on the border. Ruby Red does NOT appear to be an easy product to order right now. From what I was told this factory direct order was the last for a while, how long can be anyone's guess. The Tecnolux Tri-4500 was a factory mfg direct order as well. Just like anything, if you work with neon plan on ALL your orders to be mfg direct be it FMS, EGL, or Tecnolux because not many sign suppliers stock neon anymore.

In order.

The removal of my favorite little neon sign.

post-3-0-15412100-1383501447.jpg

post-3-0-35705700-1383501444.jpg

While we were on site for the sign removal we just went ahead and drilled the new signs mounting holes with a roll of my favorite Westrim gridded pattern paper.

post-3-0-80182800-1383501425.jpg

Some fresh from fab pics.

post-3-0-54930300-1383501441.jpg

My fab guy wasn't happy with me

post-3-0-26460100-1383501439.jpg

post-3-0-92491000-1383501436.jpg

post-3-0-52690200-1383501434.jpg

This raceway/cabinet we divided into three parts, the top two and bottom smaller cab. It just made it easier for me to move around, paint, and install since sign fabrication and installation is not my full time gig anymore.

post-3-0-31290700-1383501432.jpg

The universal access doors complete with clips

post-3-0-85584400-1383501429.jpg

The railing system for the easy transformer mounting and any future servicing

post-3-0-88841600-1383501427.jpg

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

The Transformer Tray for the Transco UNT Tank

post-3-0-44030800-1383514981.jpg

The Transco UNT Tank on the tray and rail system

post-3-0-29271400-1383514978.jpg

Assembly

post-3-0-95307700-1383514975.jpg

post-3-0-64063100-1383514973.jpg

The Transco Porcelain #200 Housings, not the cheap thin walled flimbsy glass non-U.L. knock-off 200 housings that have recently flooded the market place. These are PORCELAIN...built to last the ages! Toggle Disconnect Switch's, and Transco porcelain Federal Bushings

post-3-0-87814400-1383514966.jpg

post-3-0-89822300-1383514970.jpg

Those small letter details makes my fingers hurt just looking at them. I think I need to make a special batch of IPA Beer just for my metal fab guy and beg for forgiveness!!

post-3-0-88198000-1383514968.jpg

A few days before the day of installation I decided to install the small bottom cabinet to save me time.

post-3-0-92259300-1383514964.jpg

post-3-0-79232800-1383514961.jpg

My little helper bolting the Transco UNT Tanks to the trays

post-3-0-73671700-1383514958.jpg

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

post-3-0-07882700-1383515323.jpg

Loading up for the install day

post-3-0-27818900-1383515320.jpg

post-3-0-09787800-1383515317.jpg

Bolting the two halves together and rigging up the sign for the crane

post-3-0-11515500-1383515315.jpg

post-3-0-08984400-1383515312.jpg

post-3-0-43469200-1383515309.jpg

"Up up and away sign"

post-3-0-54017400-1383515306.jpg

For the brick wall I used a small lumber board pre-drilled to guide the Boshe Hammer drill so I can get as close to accurate holes without the chance of any drifting for the all-thread which will secure the sign. But I had to ream one hole out, guess one hole had a mind of its own.

post-3-0-37584100-1383515301.jpg

Up!

post-3-0-95731000-1383515303.jpg

Getting ready to place the neon units which are pre equipped with brass electrode caps and silicone 200 housing caps.

post-3-0-30823500-1383515298.jpg

Top shot of the military grade all 100% copper, variable secondary loading Transco UNT Tanks. Five in total. Four for the lettering and parameter accent border, one to completely load the third bottom cabinet

post-3-0-39230800-1383515649.jpg

Snipping all the access tie wire

post-3-0-41275200-1383515643.jpg

Calling it a day.

post-3-0-40854600-1383515639.jpg

All in all I still have fun with these projects when I get the opportunity to do from time to time. What is that famous quote that's said, something along the lines of "If you enjoy what you do, then you will never have to work a day in your life" That phrase fits most of the time.

I'll have to find some time real soon and take some night pics to post back.

Final recipe

Matthews Paint

Tecnolux Ruby Red

Tecnolux Tri-White 4500

FMS Tube Supports

Transco Brass Electrode Housing Caps

Transco Porcelain TC200 Housings

Transco Porcelain Federal Bushings

Transco To Go Disconnect Toggle Switches

Transco To Go 15KV Variable Neon UNT Tank Transformers

Transco To Go Silicone GTO

Transco HV Housing Caps

Blood, Sweat, and this time.....no Tears

• !llumenati

Couple comments from the peanut gallery. NICE!! Yeah, I'll just bet your metal man loves you - but he did a damnnice job on those bitchy letters. Better treat him well. Glad you cut down on the four rows of neon that you were originally talking about also. You made it much easier, neon wise, and much cleaner. Looking forward to the night pics. In the one pic showing the neon, caps, and boots - I really think the boots were upside down for the install? You could have had the crane truck jusst a bit further from the wall though -- he then could have used all his stick. Can't you reserve parking spaces in your town? Glad the son is learning how to work - but PLEASE, get him interested in something besides the sign trade! Also notice that Kgirl isn't on site - get tired of her getting hurt on the job?

Nice, clean job ---- again!

gn

• !llumenati

One last thing - nice thing to do is to makr on inside of cover which section of sign is controlled by each transformer - keeps from guessing when you get old and senile.

Also, are my eyes deceiving me or is the material used actually sheet metal letters and sign?

gn

Couple comments from the peanut gallery. NICE!! Yeah, I'll just bet your metal man loves you - but he did a damnnice job on those bitchy letters. Better treat him well. Glad you cut down on the four rows of neon that you were originally talking about also. You made it much easier, neon wise, and much cleaner. Looking forward to the night pics. In the one pic showing the neon, caps, and boots - I really think the boots were upside down for the install? You could have had the crane truck jusst a bit further from the wall though -- he then could have used all his stick. Can't you reserve parking spaces in your town? Glad the son is learning how to work - but PLEASE, get him interested in something besides the sign trade! Also notice that Kgirl isn't on site - get tired of her getting hurt on the job?

Nice, clean job ---- again!

gn

Thanks!

The black caps I actually pre-installed on each neon lamp turned inside out so when I place the lamps all I have to do is lightly nudge them forward and they will whip and snap around the porcelain housing...waaalaaa, done, no need to spend time trying to wrap the silicone cap on them.

As for the crane, right? Damn parking sucks, this location is surrounded by bars and clubs so it's usually a car that came to one of the venues then cabbed it home. And YES, I have no plans on passing anything down to them unless they REALLY want to do this stuff. Funny thing is my two oldest have great interest in it, oh lord!

Kirstie, yeah I told her there was a chance that she could break a nail and she wanted nothing to do with it. Although I almost had to use here for the small cabinet install day. She came close to answering the "Call of duty"

One last thing - nice thing to do is to makr on inside of cover which section of sign is controlled by each transformer - keeps from guessing when you get old and senile.

Also, are my eyes deceiving me or is the material used actually sheet metal letters and sign?

gn

Now that I think about it I should have labeled which disconnect switch is for what part of the sign, I have three separate circuits across two lines form the panel. But as for the Trannies, if you were to just look down each one is installed for two to three letters so it's easy to figure out what goes where. BUT, this sign won't be getting any kind of a maintenance soon, when it ever does I'll be collecting social security.

It's sheet metal but a special batch of treated Jet Plate / Galvanized deal, not sure on exact details but I did leave out the details of having to drive almost 2 hours up east of LA to pick this stuff up because it's no longer sold in San Diego.

post-3-0-69688800-1383525176.jpg

That's what I'm talking about. Keep on promoting that unbeatable neon appeal done right. Nice design. Backlighting on that brick might have been cool.

It was a thought but my client pushed that aside because if you loot at the two lamps above the wall those are some LED wall washers and he plans on adding much more so it should be interesting for a night shot once everything is all illuminated

• !llumenati

Paint lok sheet metal perhaps? Why 3 circuits? Because you could? Out of curiosity, it looks like units are one piece? What's the footage on first and last large letters? Nice neon work also. By Garrett, hopefully?

The 5 Trannies are pulling about 18 amps or so it's split between two lines from the panel. The bottom cab shares a line with the upper right cab but has it's own disconnect located at the bottom, the left side has it's own circuit but both disconnects for the top cabs are on the right side.

Neon is by Al Skalar's old shop, when I was getting this going Garett wasn't feeling up 100% since his Brain Tumor removal.

Those letters are soldered? I don't see a lip on return for spot weld?

Letter backs are spot welded to the returns. Oh I think I know what you're saying and seen, on the 1st post at the top of the unfinished letters. The lip or flange from the returns is only like 1/4" or 3/16", very, very small

• !llumenati

Looks nice, Glad you went with the 18mm white. It stands out even though it's only 3mm larger than the typical out line glass.

Nice job.

GOOD things happen for a reason......

Looks great and only 1 comment on the install.... OSHA will love to see you in a lift without the chain across the entrance... If you were in CT I can bet they would be calling at your door after one of your competitors sent them the photos. Photoshop those 2 pix...

But man a very nice sign.

• !llumenati

EXCELLENT sign job. Really a nice piece of work.

Installations.....I would love to have that much space to work in. 85% of our work is blocked by something.

Thanks guys! I don't get the opportunity to do exposed neon that often so when I do it's a true treat for sure. @ Gary, the footage for the "M" I wanna say is 25'....I think. Placing that letter stressed me for sure being 12mm and REAL expensive glass. The M and O is on a 15, the O,N and left border is on a 15. The S, H and right border on a 15 and the last letters INE on a 15, the complete bottom cab on a 15 too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• Board Patron

Fabulous design, Erik! Would like to see nights too. Trying to imagine why he would want wall washers to take away from your beautiful neon job.

Thanks! Actually they were already there from when I installed the previous sign. Their red I think too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I owed you all an update here it is. I need to get some professional shots done but this is pretty accurate.

It's a nice subtle sign at night. The 18mm 4500 Tecnolux Tri White did a perfect job in my opinion and did not overwhelm the 12mm Ruby Red, thanks Sean!!!

Look how fat that 18mm looks! LoL

post-3-0-92867800-1388260572.jpg

post-3-0-54932600-1388260570.jpg

Also, in real time the red wall washers really add to the building and sign.

• !llumenati

nice night shot, Told you it would look nice with the "larger" glass. Your typical neon guy will cringe at anything larger than 15mm. Poohey on them. more neon signs would look great with the larger diameter glass. borders in 20 or 25mm look great. problem is that most tiny pump systems cant sucessfully process cathode tubes.

Kudos on the job again. At least someone took my advice LOL

GOOD things happen for a reason......