ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

The East Coast vs West Coast Trim Cap Thang

Trim Cap  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What size trim cap do you use for channel letter faces 24" and smaller?

• 1"+
    • 1"
    • 3/4"

I don't understand it.

For myself and when it comes to standard channel letters 24" and smaller I usually would have used 3/4" Trim Cap. This seems to be the consensus on the west coast because I stock primarily 3/4" for most shops on the west coast who call to order.

Yet, sign shops say...east of Colorado typically us and call to order 1" for everything 24" and under.

Geographical?

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

• Board Patron

In 24 years. I can't remember using, or seeing 3/4" trim spec'd. I'm not sure if the supply houses around here stock 3/4". I never recall them trying to push it.

• !llumenati

1" out here. Also a case of shop spec for face thickness. 1" allows better for face thickness and bit more room for screw before edge of material and edge of t/c.

1" out here. Also a case of shop spec for face thickness. 1" allows better for face thickness and bit more room for screw before edge of material and edge of t/c.

This is where I think it get's interesting and this comes down to Jewelite vs Plasco.

1" Jewelite DOES give you more room over their 3/4" when you use a 3/16" CL face.

However, a 3/4" Plasco Trim will give you that same room as 1" Jewelite because of the extrusion difference. Jewelite has that arrow extrusion on the face so you loose about 1/8" or 3/16" of material on the face or in front of the face alone. So now that I think about it, that's why 1" Jewelite is so common. Plasco is almost flush with the face so 3/4" trim will work fine.

Many people may not know, or have experience with Plasco because for years prior to 9/11 is was the dominant trim on the west coast which I don't think ever reached anything beyond the wid-west

But, 1" Jewelite you're paying $65 to $75 per roll. Plasco 1" trim if that's your preference size you're only paying $52.75 BUT, you don't need 1" Plasco you can use 3/4" and have that same room as 1" Jewelite and you can expect a cost of $44.75. To top it, you're also getting 15' more on your roll of trim cap whereas Jewelite only has 150', Plasco 165'

So the clearance on the 1" Gary sums it up for me and the reason for it. I've used the 3/4" Jewelite and yeah, if you were using a 3/16" you don't have a whole lot clearance to fasten that face to the letter returns, it's very small because of the arrow type extrusion.

Interesting, guess that's why the 1" is so used so highly east of Colorado. I think you just helped Gary how I can better explain to people what they can use 3/4" Plasco Trim to their preferred 1" Jewelite! The clearance is the same for mechanically fastening and you can pay considerably less for it, almost $30 less per roll and get 15' more!!

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

I'm going to update this with some measurement pics but something just happened last week that also goes along with this and I should have asked "why"

I have an east coast customer buy/try a couple rolls 1" Plasco because he uses 1" Jewelite and that's what he's used for 12 years. With his order I send him a sample keychain with the colors etc

Just last week he then bought 6 rolls of 3/4". I should have asked "why" he went to 3/4" but i have a suspicion it's because the clearance is there with the 3/4"roll of Plasco and he thought why pay the $70 per roll he was paying when he can do the same with a 3/4" Plasco roll and pay just about $30 less and get more per roll. If you think about it, he just saved himself $180 on 6 rolls and got 90 more feet of trim

I'll have to call him and ask, but I think this is why.

Alright, in the words of Telford "If you can measure it...it must be true"

Here is the comparison on both Plasco vs Jewelite and the clearances.

The comparison based on the baseline of the channel letter face

post-3-0-27426600-1391100549_thumb.jpg

1" Jewlite and clearance for fastening

post-3-0-60588800-1391100816_thumb.jpg

1" Plasco and clearance for fastening (More Clearance than 1" Jewelite)

post-3-0-27769300-1391100529_thumb.jpg

3/4" Plasco and clearance for fastening (Just as much clearance as 1" Jewelite)

post-3-0-15763400-1391100813_thumb.jpg

3/4" Jewelite and clearance for fastening (Less clearance than 3/4" Plasco)

post-3-0-31085300-1391100524_thumb.jpg

1" Jewelite arrow extrusion protrusion (Greater than 1/4")

post-3-0-96610200-1391100533_thumb.jpg

So the if clearance is why you use 1" Jewelite over 3/4" Jewelite for 3/16" face material, you can do the same with 3/4" Plasco and save about $30 per roll and gain 15' MORE per roll.