ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

How did you do in 2013 ?

• Board Patron

slow start first 1/4, then we went nuts

63 foot Elliott v60

50 foot 8 ton crane/auger

Skid steer with forks and dirt bucket

www.signworksinc.com

www.wehangsigns.com

Signworks Inc.
Toronto, Canada
416-653-7227
1-877-912-7446

• Board Patron

cleared up old debt and start new one

63 foot Elliott v60

50 foot 8 ton crane/auger

Skid steer with forks and dirt bucket

www.signworksinc.com

www.wehangsigns.com

Signworks Inc.
Toronto, Canada
416-653-7227
1-877-912-7446

Had a good year, Numbers not as good as 2012, but not far off. Actually had more orders, but average invoice was down. Think 2014 will be good, but off to a rough start. The weather has just killed us.

• !llumenati

Im happy to hear that it is better then 2012. We did great, better then last year.

We made a new policy last year and stuck to it.......Dropped all the deadbeats, problem payers and headaches. Demanded deposits and prompt payment. We focused on new customers, advancements in equipment and employees. We made more and kept more money.

We had our best year in Ten. Able to add an SC62 and this little beauty...... With 18" & 24" buckets, 10", 24" 36" auger bits. This year, looks promising also. But the winter has been a killer. Good advise from Paul on customers.

1509594_1403685569877095_553140257_o.jpg

I've seen a few things here in So Cal for 2013.

I live in an area where it's for the most part a race to the bottom. We have a local supplier that sells at cost and they do so just to keep the lights on.

Most shops have made money and maybe 2013 was better for them than 2012 but they've done it by lowering their standards and bought the cheapest of the cheap to maintain or increase that margin. Pride is hardly here anymore only a few shops really build products that will shine for a longtime and keep the customers happy. Everyone in San Diego is all about the the LED modules they can buy for buck, be damn if the sign lights in a year or a care about longevity. No one uses Neon here anymore, but about 45 minutes north and further up California, Neon is booming and a lot of wholesale sign shops use it again.

I try to help or pass on jobs to the local shops that care, the others can fall on the weak knees that they've worked for themselves.

When it comes to manufacturers it's also a race to the bottom with manufacturers competing for the cheapest crap they can put out, everyone's trying to compete with the "Eco" or Economy Model LEDs and "Plastic" model power supply for $15 to $20 a piece. Good luck with you shops that use that plastic crap $20 power supply, you know it doesn't dissipate heat like a quality PS and you sure as hell cannot load more than 40' on a supposed 60 watt label. But shops are willing to pay only $20 for it, increase their margin on the stuff then kick the sign out their roll up doors.

I know some shops will tell me that they've been using that plastic crap for a few years with no issue, yes only a few years but what about the heavy fortified stuff they used to use? Will it last 15-20 years? Doubt it. You get what you pay for.

Only the spec'd signs have the best chance of achieving quality, and even those fall short. The Mom & Pops, they get the utter junk.

On the Leadership front. I'm not optimistic, there's nothing out there that leads me to believe that anything will happen other than our leadership rolling along with whatever regulation rolls down hill and the only answer is to roll with regulation and find ways to profit farm from it. Adjust the industry and make it according to government, it picks the winners. There is no fight, it's just pay more, and have the end user pay more too, let everyone dig into the tax payer pool and keep asking for more in rebates and incentives. We all get to chip in for others peoples projects. All I see are more marketeer's obtaining leadership positions, it's "make merry" smile and greet everyone with that fake handshake.

2013 was better for me than 2012 can't complain but it took tweeking, it took changes. It wasn't because the market place was better, in fact there are more shoppers.

There are more and more new "Facility"companies popping up left and right which also kills our industry and it's "Illegal", in conduct, in licensing, and in payment. The Leadership in our associations need to start paying closer attention to it instead of worrying about the composition of it's membership that is affiliated with it. With a bad economy there are so many shops out hunting dimes and chasing pennies.

What shops need to start understanding is that they need more principal. It's not about what they can do or who they can buy from for less, it's about supporting (in leadership or mfg's) that give back to this industry. Example, Kirstie and I take my 11 year old to this game shop to play Dungeons & Dragon's every Wednesday ( I know big nerd fest but we both get involved with him). It's a free shop for all who are interested to come in, set up and have regular game playing time. It's free to play, to come in, and you're using the shops overhead and they make their money from tournaments, and product sales. A lot of times people will buy their products online and or other places and just come to use the store to play and walk away till the next meet. I suppose I could pay less online to some shop online someone who I don't see or interact with, but I'd rather pay a little more and support the store my kid comes to play and enjoys his time with others, the new friends he has made. After all if we just come for his Wednesday gaming session and become that dead weight ( I would feel like a vampire sucking the life and using) to use the facility and never help out it won't be around long and he won't be able to play with others at all, and he sure won't learn how to play from a book, and it's not something you can do over the net, you need a physical place.

I guess what I'm saying if you're a shop that just looks for the cheap crap or cheap price possible you're going to chase out the ones that really build the quality product or great support. Continue in supporting a leadership group that really does nothing for you or the industry you're in. Your continued support does nothing but continue the path that leadership is taking you, SO WHAT if they have a few lolipops that they give you to suck on, look at the bigger picture. You're customers demand quality, and deserve nothing less. There is also no reason why sign users should NOT be getting a 5 year electrical warranty that includes labor to come back and change out any components you spec'd out for the sign.

Guess everything comes down to Character....and there seems to be a lack of...it's all "drive thru" right now. Be careful, all that you like or love may not be around for much longer, they won't be able to bare it.

As for 2014, it's early and I'll stay optimistic as best as possible

It maybe a dim picture that I painted but that's all that 's in the color palette at the moment, the good quality bright paint palette that doesn't run or fade and makes the canvas last may not be around anymore, but I'll look.

Happy Valentines Day to everyone! Much love!

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

Eric, Thanks for the compliment on the digger, it fits both right & left handed people. So no excuses.

I hear what you say about the industry. Are you speaking mainly of strip centers and other commercial retailers? Is there no better market with banks, medical facilities, office buildings, corporate interests, etc.? They seem, from my experience less concerned with the dollars than quality. Probably because they know they will be around in a few years.

I agree the regulators just keep piling it on with no end in sight. They have no idea how free market works.

Here in the Midwest we are probably just lagging behind the coasts, but we have lots of smaller towns who don't have full time people who need to justify their existence by writing new regs. all the time.

People complain about the Federal Government always adding new things, but I see the big cities doing the same or even worse. And not just "Liberal" cities. Some of the so called conservative areas seem almost as bad.

I'll even give them the fact that everything they do is with good intentions, but it always adds to costs and that puts additional strains on existing business and further limits those who can afford to start one.

Until a new giant "peaceful" surge of people who want their freedom back sweeps the country we are stuck with it.

Everyone hang in there.