ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Being in the electric sign industry where government has a hand in everything we do and most of the time they circumcise (yes that word) our right to prosper and happiness.

Here are two issues that make me nervous, and maybe everybody should be nervous too because I think when it comes to these issues with the make up composition of who's in these sign associations and the past omissions to act, or the positions they held/supported that would further regulate the industry we love and prevent us from continuing the work we love or make it a higher cost to us as well as the end users or consumers.

I think title 24 is the biggest fraud and waste of time, it only drives up cost. We cannot keep conserving energy and keep rebuilding our electric components and appliances over and over again, try building another power plant or two instead. Everyone wants to come to California, DUH!

I also agree with the firm stance of contractors license laws and agree with the moderate amount of regulation that they enforce for public safety and as well as protection of contractors as well as the consumer..

The first part
http://www.signs.org/Newsroom/IndustryNews/IndustryNewsItem.aspx?NewsID=3042

One thing I've always said, what happens in the environmental whacko state of California which is the ground zero for the "Environmental Product & Safety" movement which starts here and creeps it's way east and beyond....you would figure most states and countries who don't want to bankrupt themselves and drive out large to small business's like this grand state has themselves would choose to ignore our government handling.

Since the news just came out recently that Canada has exceeded in the middle class beyond our country because of lower taxes that they would continue to do what our country used to do before 15 years ago. So why follow standards California has created?

To mix it in, International Sign Association is involved. That makes me nervous because they have hardly been on the right side of anything when it comes to energy and light source issues.

Part II
http://www.signs.org/Newsroom/IndustryNews/IndustryNewsItem.aspx?NewsID=3035

Like I said, I believe in moderate regulation not license stacked on top of license. I like our western states stance on contractors license laws. The fact that only a "licensed contractor can sub-contract". Not allowing an unlicensed contractor to sub-contract a license contractor.

It's a headache, for the licensed contractor who has gone through all the proper channels who knows the trade, the codes, and the industry. It's a Headache for the consumer to allow a third party into the contract, someone who obviously does not know the industry (otherwise they would be licensed) which can only have a higher allowance for "screw up" which can result in the consumer getting screwed because they did not pay enough for the sign which can lead to delays or a improper/unsafe sign, the contractor from getting unpaid because the contract price was not high enough, or in causing issues where the licensed contractor is used as a "line of credit". The line of Credit is one of the biggest issues of our time.

Instead of taking a position in helping what hurts our industry, and I'm talking about all these "Facility" companies who get involved in sign and lighting business who abuse our industry with illegal contracts which are not paid according to state guidelines and contractors licensing laws of 30 days, The International Sign Association should be leading the charge even against it's own membership composition and speaking out about National Sign & Service Companies abiding by the law and paying their subs...NO EXCUSES and start booting out the ones that do.

These Illegal unlicensed companies who execute products and services in "subcontracting", The International Sign Association is now supporting this. Why? Maybe because their membership with unlicensed vinyl sticky companies is bigger and they think their "doing good" and leading the charge. Or, they just don't know better, hard to believe it's the latter but it wouldn't surprise me if it's the latter.

Those are my light thoughts on this Throw Back Thursday

Like I've said in the past, sometimes our leadership at times should just "do nothing"

Maybe I'm wrong on these issues but it's hard to avoid what has happened and when nothing changes, well? I like the Governor of WI, but sometimes the best intentions of advisers can come back to haunt us down the road.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

• Board Patron

Erik;

You have just outlined a policy juxtaposition of major proportion.

On one hand we have Title 24, which I agree is a major fraud and does indeed drive up cost on many projects. I work on "ground ups" in the Petroleum industry and can write a book on the horror stories it presents in many cases. But, it is law here in California and it must be adhered to, no matter the pain. The government gone wild........

On the other hand, we have a state like Wisconsin that has now said that licensed companies and technicians are no longer useful in making sure that a sign is installed in a workmanlike and professional manner. "License, we don't need no stinking license" Apparently crane operation, footings and electrical systems is knowledge that is gained by osmosis and should never be questioned or challenged. The ISA lackey even went further in saying that this whole matter will insure the vibrancy of the sign industry in Wisconsin. I wonder how that it is the case that no check or balance on those folks installing signs will insure the vibrancy of the industry. This is tantamount to saying that burglary laws are preventing the myriad of criminals from making a living by invading your home. Or even better, drunk driving laws are preventing drunks from getting behind the wheel of a moving vehicle. Incredible. The private sector gone equally wild.............

I wonder if the nut less, gut less representative from this suspect organization would have the Huevos to respond on his venue and explain to us worthless, licensed contractors how it is beneficial to have a flock of unlicensed Hacks roaming on scene? Come on ISA, grow some and explain this to all of us. I wonder also how any contractors who bothered to gain the knowledge necessary to install and who had the determination to get a license feels about getting his or her derriere getting slammed by the organization they belong to. How could you belong to an organization that has leaders who work against the better interest of its members. I guess it is the Forrest Gump syndrome revisited, "Oh, Okay" or "Stupid is as Stupid does"............

Or it could be that we are not interpreting this legislation properly and you Erik, have misrepresented the facts here on this board. Or maybe we have just misinterpreted the facts as they have been presented. Either way, I would be curious to hear from the ISA on this subject. I won't hold my breath though. Hopefully they will grow some and prove me wrong.

But be that as it may, I always have maintained that we are driven by the far left or the far right and we have to live in the common sense middle, both as contractors and citizens. So I would say be careful what you wish for when navigating either extreme and placing people in positions in power positions because you may just get what you wish for.

But just like the Pillsbury Doughboy thread, it is apparently a done deal and it is over but the crying.

Best

• Like 1

"Don't be afraid to see what you see" - President Ronald Reagan