ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Electrician fixing neon sign electrocuted

Erik Sine

Electrician fixing neon sign electrocuted

MANILA, Philippines — A jolt of electricity killed early Sunday a man fixing a neon sign in Quezon City.

Bryan Abdon, an electrician, of Lucena City, was replacing a busted light in the signage of a restaurant along Timog Avenue in Barangay (village) Sacred Heart, when he was electrocuted.

Abdon was declared dead on arrival by attending doctors of the East Avenue Medical Center.

Police Officer 2 Louie Serbito, of the Quezon City Police District Criminal Investigation and Detection Unit (QCPD-CIDU), said that accident happened at around 2:30 a.m.

Serbito said that before the accident, Abdon had crawled inside the tube-shaped neon sign of the restaurant to replace a burned-out light.

The electrician was still working on the neon sign when his co-worker James Kevin Silvallana saw a pair of pliers fall from the signage.

According to the case investigator, Silvallana looked up to ask about the pliers but instead saw Abdon shaking violently. Silvallana immediately turned off the electricity and sought the help of barangay peace and security officers (BSPOs) and other restaurant employees.

The BPSOs took time to remove the body of the electrician from the signage before taking him to the nearest hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

• Board Patron

I wonder if it was the primary (which may be 220v in Philipines) or the neon secondary that killed him? Electrocution deaths from neon transformers are nearly unheard of due to the low currents involved.

Yes, definitely a reason for disconnects, lockouts, etc.

• Board Patron

I don't know for sure, but I think grounding is also non entity in 3rd world countries such as the PI and others. So it doesn't surprise me that avoidable situations like this occur. We judge everything based on what we do here in the USA but our standards are non existent in many places around the world.

Best

"Don't be afraid to see what you see" - President Ronald Reagan

• !llumenati

non secondary GFI are still readily available and produced.

Gettn bit at 2:30 AM in a restaurant (bar)? Only thing I can say is "dumb ass"

GOOD things happen for a reason......

• Board Patron

he should of sobered up before trying to pay off his tab.

63 foot Elliott v60

50 foot 8 ton crane/auger

Skid steer with forks and dirt bucket

www.signworksinc.com

www.wehangsigns.com

Signworks Inc.
Toronto, Canada
416-653-7227
1-877-912-7446

I worked and lived in the Philippines for a while. The electrical system over there is just insane. I was rightfully warned that while showering IF I used hot water not to touch any pipes of fixtures as they use a 2 wire 220 system with point of use heaters mounted IN THE SHOWER. The piping is the neutral and you could look like a great ground to the voltage. Safety shut-offs and worker protection is virtually non-existent. MSDS means nothing has mat disposal is often on the ground outside the workplace.

It's sad but there isn't the value of life that we have here in the USA

• Board Patron

Obviously no LockOut TagOut but It reads like the workman was also working in a confined space. That's an OSHA violation in the states that if often overlooked by sign company awareness. It's a tragic story, one I hope I never have to tell a crew members family. Trying hard not to cmake sense of the 2:30 AM time of incident.

he should of sobered up before trying to pay off his tab.

He was probably trying to pay his tab at the time.