ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Skyhoist or Elliott???? Going to get new used truck

Brian

• Board Patron

Ok guys I am looking at a new truck. I have narrowed it down to three 2 elliotts and a shyhoist similarly priced.

What is your preference?

Installation & Maintenance Services

Brian Phillips | expresssignandneon@sbcglobal.net | P. 812-882-3278

Express Sign & Neon | 119 S. 15th Street - Vincennes - IN 47591

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

• Board Patron

I love my SR77 Skyhoist. I like Elliots, just don't own one. Had a few with my old employers. Only complaint was the self leveling bucket issues. Now this was 10+ yrs ago. I'll assume that issue has been addressed. I'm pretty proficient on Skyhoist maintenance. But if I ever get in too deep, I have a local guy here. Who's been servicing them from their inception. Bill Christopherson (he travels).

• Board Patron

Thanks! But now I have two different people trying to sell me the same trucks, telling me the trucks are located in different places. WTF

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

• Board Patron

Skyhoists are head and shoulders above an elliot IMO. You didnt really mention any particular models you are looking at. Hopefully you are looking at an SX or rx series with a self leveling basket and an in basket jib. I have an sx57 and it has been great. I cant wait till I have a need for something bigger so I can find a rx87on a tandem

• Board Patron

yes looking at the SX series

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

• Board Patron

sooooo you don't like the 87 on a single

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

• Board Patron

Nooo sir. nothing above a sc62 should be on a single in my opinion unless you are just using it for service work. If you are going to make it a rolling shop with all the gear and haul trailers/ signs its going to be overweight on a single. Ill bet a rx87 with cheap boxes weighs every bit of 30-31k empty

• Board Patron

hmmm that is a good point. Most of the 87' I have looked at have been on singles

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

• Board Patron

yup, its the same raquet you see these guys selling the sx57's and l55's l60s on trucks under cdl.. the truck weighs 24k out of the factory and then is overweight after you put your welder and bottles on. check out the Crane center in ohio, there website might not be up to date but they are one of the best in the business with skyhoist/manitex cranes. call and see what they have in stock. Not sure of your budget but you could probably pick up a great condition tandem 87 for around 100-125k. a single axle 87 in decent shape go for 60-80 as you may have noticed and there is a reason. most have been flogged.

Are you replacing that 80' knuckleboom truck you have? isnt that thing a tandem? a sx57 and rx87 are a big jump from one another. which one do you see yourself using more? I forget what other trucks do you have to support this on an install?

• Board Patron

OK we have a Altec 40' squirt boom that we use 90% of the time on service. We have a Wilkie 87' crane for installs. We have the 73' altec pain in the butt knuckle boom with tandem.

The tandem reaches the high stuff but is too big and cumbersome to do any service with. I would like to get down to just two trucks the wilkie and the new one to handle all. I thought I wanted an SX87 but not a tandem ...since you made a very good point that is out. Looking at a Elliott L65 nice truck but lots of miles. Imput?

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

• Board Patron

I dont know how people use knuckle booms in the sign industry. so bulky. If you are asking my opinion I would keep the 40' truck you have unless it gives you problems. I couldn't imagine NOT having a smaller truck that can get in anywhere and close to buildings for service work and installs. keep the 40' for backup, im sure it doesn't owe you anything anymore. if it is still reliable then hang onto it. Keep the wilke for bigger lifts and get a sx57 on a single axle with front and rear outriggers and make that into your rolling shop. Good boxes with roll out drawers, welder with cables on reels, tanks with lines on a reel, water tank, ladders on the boom. trailer hitch ect.

Edited by Signsfast

• Board Patron

40 footer is just about worn out. lol I think the sx57 would do along with the wilkie.

express%20neon%20sig.jpg