ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Hello All,
I'm putting together a proposal for a set of face lit (led) channel letters, mounted to a raceway. The customer has a cycling fitness business, and two of the "O's" in the name are also wheels. Her website has these wheels spinning and now I am looking into adding this feature into her sign. The permitting office said that they're ok with it rotating, it just can't be very fast. I have never done anything moving before, and my vendor referred me to a company that mainly dealt with rotating displays.
It is a white circle w/ black spokes and a black outline w/ a stationary 'fleur de lis' symbol in the center. The black spokes rotate clockwise on the white background.
I'm thinking about basically making a channel letter that has two faces - the internal face will be attached to a rotating device and will be the only moving component. It will most likely be 1/8" or 3/16" white plastic w/ black vinyl applied to the surface for the 'spokes' on the wheel and it will have a diameter @ App. 29.25". The can will be app. 30" (or slightly larger than the white plastic face) and will have a clear plastic face w/ 1" (or 2") Jewelite. On the clear face I will apply the vinyl decal of the Fleur de Lis, which will remain stationary and cover how the white plastic face attaches to the shaft, or whatever it will be. I'm thinking that the clear face will also protect the rotating face from wind load that may cause stress on whatever motor or device I use. It doesn't seem like the white rotating faces would weigh more than a few lbs. Does anyone have any tricks up their sleeves when it comes to doing this, or know of a company that could give technical advice? I found one company, but the cost of the motors was more than the cost of the entire sign. One tip that I heard from an older sign guy was using a motor from a ice cream maker. I don't know about that, but I did think about the motor used for the Waiver Mannequins. They seem to do ok outdoors, but I don't know about continuous use. I would set it up inside the raceway, and maybe have to make a box around it to further protect if from the weather.
I have attached a file to help illustrate what I'm trying to do.
Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I do apologize for how long this is, but wanted to try to be thorough.
Thank you for your time,
228SignGuySign Guys - Cycology Store Front Sign Proof - 4-9-15.pdfSign Guys - Cycology Wheel Details - 4-9-15.pdf

It's possible. Going to require some testing, adjustments, and tweaks I'm sure.

If I may suggest, use a low speed high torque dc motor ($20-60 each Reduction/or worm gear style. ) that runs about 1-3 RPM.

Any faster will likely be too much. Don't cheap out on the power supply for the motors.

There's a ton of made in china models to choose from. Not familiar with a US manufacturer off the top of my head.

Last thought.... balance your "wheel" and reinforce the "hub"

Thank you J.Licari,

So far, it seems that the feedback is to go with an AC motor. There was concern that the brushes would burn out too quickly in a DC motor. I greatly appreciate your input. By the way - I love the conceptual renderings. I've worked on doing graphics and proofs for customers and really strive to provide to the customer as closely as possible what their sign will look like in real life. I've painstakingly used GoogleSketch and it was great, but not designed for the sign industry - however it was a free tool.

Again - Thank you for your feedback. Hope to have something soon to put together for my customer.