ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

• Board Patron

Looking for some ideas...

We are constructing many small non-illuminated direct bury cabinets for a local home builder. We are using aluminum "U" channel for the legs and then want to attach max metal faces to them. We want to use max metal because it comes in a prefinished color that works for our need and is it more cost effective than aluminum.

We are looking a glue or epoxy that would work. I don't think that the max metal (DiBond like product - PVC with Aluminum skin) can be welded.

We want to have a clean appearance on the faces (i.e., no visible fasteners).

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Paul

LORD 406/19 Sand both surfaces, clean and apply a small bead around the area to me adhered. clamp and wait 20 - 30 minutes. I think 24 hours for full cure.

• Like 2

• Board Patron

VHB tape. We mount .125 sheets to square tube, knock on wood but haven't heard of them falling and try to separate them just like lords only cleaner.

Henry Z

Superior Signs

LORD 406/19 Sand both surfaces, clean and apply a small bead around the area to me adhered. clamp and wait 20 - 30 minutes. I think 24 hours for full cure.

Agree. Best method I know of for this type of application. Relatively long life and it's temp range covers Ohio's weather mood swings. (-40 to +300°F )

• Board Patron

Thanks All! I will try both. But it looks like the Lords may be a better fit for this application.

• Board Patron

Use .125 and weld them. That's the only guaranteed way they'll stay together.

I'd guess these will be place in yards. Most new homes have sprinkler systems. I used a VHB tape on a directional project 10 years ago. The tape was supposed to hold up. It failed miserably. The best 3M could come up with,was. The water hitting the sun heated signs. Caused the metal to expand/contract too quickly. Which caused the metal to work its way off the tape.

Needless to say, I don't trust VHB tape. I do use Lords on rare occasions. But only for interior signs.

• Board Patron

Agree 100% with Alltex. I use Lord's a lot - but for anything critical I tack weld at least in spots. VHB does not hot up in my experience either. I don't know why people put up neon tube supports with this stuff. I'm beginning to see LED modules fall down as well. It definitely has a lifespan that is usually shorter than then materials it is holding together.

The Lord 7xx series are urethane based and have a wider substrate compatibility than the acrylic 406. It's an excellent adhesive too and I've had good experience with it. But I still use some sort of mechanical fasting at least in a few places for guaranteed performance.

Edited by megavolt512

You can't weld Max Metal because it is ACM. Here is the way to get a permanent bond;

clean the aluminum extrusion and the max metal where it will be bonded to the extrusion with Isopropyl alcohol

then wipe both down (where they will be bonded) with adhesion promoter (you can get from N. Glantz)

Apply VHB tape on the full length of the area to be bonded

apply the max metal panel to the vhb/extrusion

then use 3M Marine Grade adhesive at the joint of the extrusion and max metal

Repeat for other side.

This will hold like you wouldn't believe.

You can use Lord adhesive but the 2 part adhesive generates enough heat while it is curing that it will soften the Polyethylene core of the max metal and you will be able to see it on the finished product. will look slightly depressed