ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

The Great White Hope Year 3, 4 & 5

Erik Sine

Originally posted Oct 17 2010 02:10 PM

The Great White Hope (Year 3, 4, & 5)

10/08 -Present

GWH-2013.jpg

The only thing we ask is, if you like what you see and if it helps you make better buying decisions for your sign applications that you build then you can support us and the tests we do by either upgrading your free membership to a Board Patron which has it's additional benefits or by purchasing electrical sign supplies that we sell here on The Sign Syndicate as you'll see in the test result sheets! sml%20(26).gif

One thing that we don't sell here on The Sign Syndicate for the exact reasons of these tests is sell Neon Glass or LED Modules because I know most would think us bias if we did. So because of this, we'll only sell electrical sign supplies that compliment these light sources such as LED power supplies, and neon wiring & Transformers etc.

You'll also notice a lot of Light Source MFG's signed up here on the Sign Syndicate and submitted their lamps for the testing. Some did not, and you'll see "Non-Willing Participant" next to their name in the Tutorial product listings. Most did not want to because they did not want to be compared to their competition or called out on their claims when they show up to your shop and tell you you should buy theirs because they are superior to their competition. Well, all we can do here is include some of those MFG's anyway and throw them up on the board and see where they might fall. We hope some of them at some point join us and take part because they want to. They ALL have an open invitation to do so. We thinks it's a good idea and there is a lot to learn and most of the time it just begs more questions than results can answer. If you are a Light source manufacturer interested in having your lamps included then please upgrade your free membership to a Board Vendor (which includes a free advertising package for the duration of your membership) and submit your lamps

I first to want to start off by thanking everyone who has been involved with this project from the start and continue to make it better, I want to specially thank Telford Dorr for this immeasurable measurements, Marko for helping to move this project in a better direction and the Vendors who have participated with their products for this comparison.

Though 6500 SW is the standard here for comparison you'll see a variation of whites, not all are of course in the same ballpark, but you will see where pending the application you might choose one over the other.

You might see some edits done on this tutorial over the course an that is because information may/will change.

Every month power readings and light output readings will be added to this tutorial. Spectrometer reading will also be displayed through the course. Other tests may also be done not yet defined at this point. A picture will also be taken with the same settings and placement.

SIGN CABINET

• ABC Sign Products

LIGHT SOURCE PRODUCT LIST (Top to Bottom)

• GE Tetra Power White (*Non-Willing Participant)
  • GE Tetra Tetra PowerMAX(12v) (*Non-Willing Participant)
  • Relume (*Non-Willing Participant)
  • Sylvania HF2 Chain HE
  • Elite Lamp Technologies Elite 65D Tri 13mm 30ma
  • Phillips (24v)
  • Eurocom LetraLED
  • CAO LuxemBright (12v)
  • Axiom AX-LE3 (14v)
  • Axiom AX-LE7
  • Ventex Venbrite (400v Class I) (*Non-Willing Participant)
  • YYZ PowerStroke (12v)
  • Borealis LED
  • JT LED - Alumina (*Non-Willing Participant)
  • AVA Technologies
  • EGL DL71 13mm 30ma
  • AgiLight ThinRayz XTRA (12v)
  • Sloan Great White 2 (*Non-Willing Participant)
  • Sloan Great White 3 (*Non-Willing Participant)
  • Permlight El Plato (*Non-Willing Participant)
  • Permlight Nitros (*Non-Willing Participant)
  • Aristo
  • US LED Mega White Lightning (12v) (*Non-Willing Participant)
  • US LED Quasar (*Non-Willing Participant)
  • ElectraLED Flex (*Non-Willing Participant)
  • EGL 6500 SW 15mm 30ma
  • EGL DL71 15mm 60ma
  • International Light Technologies
  • LumiText - LumiString
  • Principal LED (*Non-Willing Participant)
  • EGL Veritas
  • FMS 12mm Brillite

ACRYLIC FACE LENS

SIGN COMPONENTS

• 1/8" Cyro #7328 White Acrylic Lenses
  • CCFL Transformers- Ventex 4030/60CL

DURATION:

This project is never stopping, it runs 20/7/365, we cycle the power twice per day.

This section is strictly for project years 3 & 4, anything prior be sire to check out Years 1 & 2 in the tutorial section.

10/17/10

This is a new project year starting off Year 3. Temperatures were and have been in the cooler 70's, and that has played a factor into the period of time in which I took the monthly evaluations. No product additions or failures this month but we will start to take some looks back at years 1 & 2 to hand off some first place winners in various categories.

I will also be taking some recent shots of the cabinets and comparing them to years 1 & 2.

NEW Analysis CLICK HERE

PASSWORD: armybooty

Last Revision: 10/28/10 1:24 PM

10/28/10

It was brought to my attention today that I had the wrong Wattage number for GE's Power White. Originally I have written down the Volt Amps instead of the wattage. It's updated now and a new FC/Watt figure is updated in the charts

Please see 3/22/11

11/5/10

Here are some pictures of the Sign Cabinets 1 & 2.

Sign Cab 1, (Left to right)

Nov 2008, Nov 2009, Nov 2010

GWH%20Nov%2010%20Compare.jpg

* Notes - Original Beta Ventex Venbrites were later replaced with the market products 1 year later.
Original Agilight Product failed and was replaced shortly after original start.

Sign Cab 2, (Left to right)

Dec 2009, March 2010, Nov 2010

GWH%20Cab2%20Nov%2010%20Compare.jpg

*Notes- Original AVA Technology product was a 8500K product changed to a 6500K product shortly after start.

11/14/10

I'm holding off on introducing the new GE Tetra Power Max whites until next month where I'm hoping to also add a few more products.

This month, temps are just dropping from last month and we're going to see what we see in the last couple of years, some products rise and fall, some that should be rising are still falling in light output.

Also, in the pdf files I've added the new cabinet pictures

NEW Analysis CLICK HERE

PASSWORD: thanksgiving

Last Revision: 11/14/10 6:47 PM

1/8/11

We skipped December so we accumulated 1,120 hours for the two months.

This month we removed the Philips product line because rumor is Philips is leaving the sign industry and I can't get anymore information from our former Board Vendor. So if it's no longer advertised and I haven't heard of anyone using it, the Vendor is Non-supportive of their product on The Sign Syndicate, why have it?

Philips was replaced with a product by Relume these are intergal circuit board panels. Everythign is placed on a aluminum panel. Basically when you make your channel letters, you send them the file and they will roughly inline the channel letter back a 1/2" or so and send you the new backs which you place in your channel letters. This is supposed to be for superb heat sinking. This manufacturer is non supportive, they sent me the panels and PS's and we're supposed to join as a Board Vendor but never did. So far these are power hoggers at 32 watts, it's a very propitiatory system. We'll keep it for now until we need more room for others.

Also, added is GE's new Tetra PowerMAX. It's less power than it's predecessor, but also less initial light output.

I'll follow through back with this entry with pics or a video of the new product adds.

GE's New Tetra Power Max Modules
GE.JPG

NEW Analysis CLICK HERE

PASSWORD: wildcard

Last Revision: 1/8/11 4:28 PM

02/13/11

It was a warm week this week. I've decided to drop the CAO LuxemBright and the USLED White Lighting for a couple of reasons. Primarily they have reached 40% light degradation since their initial output even in their favorable cold months, the US LED product is now outdated, lastly their taking up space and energy in place of areas where I can now add future products.

I'll be looking for the new Allanson Products and whatever Agilight introduces at ISA

NEW Analysis CLICK HERE

PASSWORD: packers

Last Revision: 2/13/11 9:00 PM

03/13/11

Just shy of the 20,000 hour mark. GE Power white took a 15% light loss since last month, will have to see what happens next month if it continues further.

NEW Analysis CLICK HERE

PASSWORD: march mad

Last Revision: 3/22/11 3:26 PM

03/22/11

On 10/28/11 I made the mistake of re-adjusting the GE Power Whites from 14 watts up to 23 watts. 23 watts is indeed the VA, 14 is the actual wattage. I use a stool to look at the very top compartmen which is the GE and I can see where I got the glare. I also have updated the wattage of other compartments as well. I've discarded 6 P3 Kill-A-Watt meters what were off by 3-5watts each. I've kept the remaining 14 which are consistent with each other.

04/10/11

This month was colder than last month. Strange weather for April.

This month we added Principal LEDs "The Spec" and Light Engines 1x12 module. Both vendors were asked to be apart of this testing, Light Engines never returned emails, Principal LED straight out said "No, I know what the SS does, and NO". So, here they are. :scratchhead:

There is a possibility this month I will be deactivating Relume from the testing. It's a product where the vendor is MIA after promising to be a Board Vendor, this coupled with the fact that this product is very proprietary. There is also a 14% drop in light output for very few operating hours in a colder month.

We will be introducing a new product later this month as well that should be a shocker

NEW Analysis CLICK HERE

PASSWORD: expo

Last Revision: 3/22/11 3:26 PM

05/14/11

Relume was dropped out at the beginning of this month leaving room for just one more vendor to get in. There is a 13 degree jump in temperature this month, as usual the CCFL light output has risen and LEDs drop. Not a whole lot going on with

NEW Analysis CLICK HERE

PASSWORD: bad date

06/12/11

Not much changed this month. We took removed Axiom AXEL 7's because they are no longer sold and we added EGL's new Veritas LED line. Looking to add a new CCFL product later this month by another glass manufacturer,FMS Neon.

EGL 1 Watt Veritas LED's
EGL%201watt.JPG

NEW Analysis CLICK HERE

PASSWORD: summertime

07/15/11

This month is slightly warmer than last.

Not a whole lot to say this month, not a whole lot has changed other than the small decrease in light output by LEDs and small increase with the CCFL lamps due to a warmer ambient temperatures.

Nothing new in the near horizon until the new FMS Neon lamp comes in, this will be a 12mm lamp. I use 12mm lamps more lately than any other, slight smaller than a 13, slight brighter and more energy. We'll see what a difference it makes compared to the initial results of the existing 13 & 15mm lamps

NEW Analysis CLICK HERE

PASSWORD: uncle sam

08/16/11

This may have been the hottest day of our sad excuse of a summer, It wasn't that hot and August is usually our hottest month. I only got to spend two worth while days at the beach this summer.

So.....The Great White hope! Smooth sailing, hoping to get that new CCFL unit in here soon, other than nothing to dramatic to report, that's happening in the other tests we have going

NEW Analysis CLICK HERE

PASSWORD: NFL

09/16/11

No huge shifts in light output this month, got a little cooler since last month some LED compartments rose and some still declined. We discontinued the JT Alumina line since it's not widely used and their not a Board Vendor, instead we will be looking to replace with FMS's white tri-phosphor line in 12mm white.

Next month will kick off out year 4!

NEW Analysis CLICK HERE

PASSWORD: patriot

10/16/11

Now begins year four of The Great White Hope. This month we just got in, but will be added next month is International Lights LED line, and hoping to get FMS's neon too up as well both ready for November.

Slightly cooler this month than last and that means not much change. Meaning there is not really any light sources taking a drastic change, mainly a 1% change up or own or nothing changed at all.

NEW Analysis CLICK HERE

PASSWORD: bye week

11/19/11

This month we have two new products replacing the newer Axiom & JT LED Alumina, those new vendors are International Light Technologies and LumiText, both lower wattage modules for The Great White Hope.

It's a cooler month in the cycle, CCFL lamps lowered and most of the LEDs rose in light, well most of them.

LumiText LED's
LumiText.JPG

International Light Technologies LED's
Intl.JPG

NEW Analysis CLICK HERE
Revision 11/29/11 CLICK HERE

PASSWORD: thanks

12/17/11

This has got to be the coldest month in ambient temps in the entire duration of these tests.

So what does that mean, it means neon takes a huge hit as much as 25% since last month, LEDs rose with the highest being a little over 5%. Some long time products hardly to none at all with the lowest temp to date, curious to see if they finally hit that curve, will be interesting to see what happens in this next year

NEW Analysis CLICK HERE
PASSWORD: snow

01/16/12

How long has it been since we introduced a CCFL lamp? About 26,000 hours ago!

Here we have FMS Neon's Brillite Tri-Phosphor lamps. Garett of Elite lamp processed it, a video of that will be in our January's Video Update.

Hopefuly later this month we'll have another vendor addition

I know i have been lagging in updating pictures of the test cabinet and I think I will get a chance to get to it this week, with Christmas and other holidays finaly behind us I think I'll finally have the time.

FMS Neon Products 12mm Brillite on a Ventex CL4030
FMS.JPG

NEW Analysis CLICK HERE
PASSWORD: playoffs

02/19/12

This last month we turned FMS Neon's lamp off. The reason being I noticed for 12mm it just wasn't as bright as I thought it should be, some to find out it it has the wrong gas in it,so we'll get that put back in hopefully in the next few days and update February's evaluation.

GE's LED's we also put on hold. Come to find out not even a year later and there is a new LED out for the Power Tetra Max, so we'll get this figured out around the time of the ISA's EXPO. I don't want to run something that isn't even marketed.

This month we introduce Axiom LED's new AXEL 5, into the mix. We booted out AgiLight's ThinRayz XTRA's sine they aren't a Board Vendor and the fact the the color rendering is just bad I can't ever see anyone using it as a white LED. Maybe we'll try and track something from them in the future.

As for everything else going on in the test, not a whole lot to report with ambient temps not much different than last month. Oh wait, here's something worth noting, I took pics of the current cabinets, so I'll update this later today or tomorrow as well as update it in the pdf file.

Axiom LED's AXEL5
Axiomax5.JPG

Cabinet 1 Series
GWH%20Feb%2012%20Compare.jpg

Cabinet 2 Series
GWH%20Feb%2012%20Compare.jpg

NEW Analysis CLICK HERE
PASSWORD: mine
REVISED 2/20/12 9:35AM

03/17/12

Not a whole lot changed in temperature from this month to last, so not much change due to temperature. Some stayed the same, some slightly moved up and down in light output.

We updated a few of the missing information cells

NEW Analysis CLICK HERE
PASSWORD: madness
REVISED 03/17/12 9:35AM

04/22/12

This month is 10 degrees higher than last. Looks like we'll be removing the latest GE Tetra PowerMax line and look to insert their newer one, but we'll always have the oldest one we have had in since 08'. This month we also have removed Eurocom, for whatever reason they wish to no longer resume with the testing. Hate to see them go but this no presents an opportunity for another vendor to take their place in our limited room of test space.

NEW Analysis CLICK HERE
PASSWORD: opening day
REVISED 04/22/12 2:41PM

05/22/12

"Space for Rent"

That's going to be the new sign going above our empty compartments due to your absentee landlord (Me). Like I said in another thread it's summertime and Kgirl loves to go shopping so we must go shopping for the latest and greatest of our industry

NEW Analysis CLICK HERE
PASSWORD: mayo

07/15/12

We skipped a month from May to July so we can get back to doing this on the 10th of every month.

I asked the question on the open forum, what MFG modules would you like to see in our tests. We're open to suggestions. We might be adding the Sloan GW4's in this test and finally replacing the old GW2's

NEW Analysis CLICK HERE
PASSWORD: endless summer

08/19/12

This is THE hottest month so far in our testing since we've started. We will be temporarily cutting back on the hours of these tests, that time hasn't been determined yet but again, it will only be temporarily.

NEW Analysis CLICK HERE
PASSWORD:nfl

09/23/12

The cooling trend is coming. Just when you think you're going to have some more light sources to add in, it just doesn't happen.

Will have to keep our eye on the Principal LED, it's having a odd rapid drop in light this month.

NEW Analysis CLICK HERE
PASSWORD: touchdown

02/10/13

It's been some time since we've entered anything here.

We're back into the swing of things five months later, ad we're going to consolidate and change these logs instead of entering them in four different places but we'll discuss that another time. But testing will now be done on a bi-monthly basis.

The changes to The Great White Hope is that from November 2012 to February 2013, The ElectraLEDs catastrophically failed.

We're also seen a long dipping curve coming from the Principal LEDs. Where it will fall we'll stay on it and see. This month we're shutting the light off to Electra LEDs, Sloans GW2's because their so old and version 4 is out now. US LED's "Quasars", because they don't sell these any longer. This month we'll finally put the 12mm Tri-phosphor lamp from FMS, and add a few more upgraded MFG LED lines

NEW Analysis NOVEMBER 2012 CLICK HERE
PASSWORD: turkey

NEW Analysis FEBRUARY 2013 CLICK HERE
PASSWORD: ravens

06/09/13

We've phased out several vendor lines recently which includes Sloans GW2, International Lights, AVA Technologies mainly because they are dated.

New this month we are adding FMS's Tri-Phosphor Brilite, a 6500K 12mm lamp.

I think we will be condensing the GWH test cabinets from a double row 8" wide stroke to a single 4" stroke and 2' or 3' long to both save space and energy. This will be done in the future, when....that's not certain.

Any questions or comments don't forget to visit the Support topic thread which you can use the banner located below or on the right side of this window you'll see a button "Visit Support Topic"

NEW JUNE 2013 TEST RESULTS: GreatWhite 060713.pdf

REVISED 7/15/13

8/26/13

We are still collecting light sources so we are projecting a September start.

2/2014

We will now be continuing with a reboot of this project as The Great White Hope II. Please follow us here
http://www.thesignsy...hope-ii-year-1/

supporttopic.jpg

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill