ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Service Truck Lamp Storage

I recently got a new service truck. It's an 08 F-550 equipped with an Altec. I've got some homemade git er done boxes in the yard that I could just bolt to my nice new truck.... But I want something clean and slick looking. Any ideas/pics?

Edited by Kgirl
Title

• Board Patron

under the ladder rack looks like a good spot

63 foot Elliott v60

50 foot 8 ton crane/auger

Skid steer with forks and dirt bucket

www.signworksinc.com

www.wehangsigns.com

Signworks Inc.
Toronto, Canada
416-653-7227
1-877-912-7446

Yea but it's only big enough for 84's. Also that's where I put my 6' ladder. The drivers side of the box does not have anything on it so I'm going to build a box to go on top of that. Just was looking for pics of what you guys have built.

• Board Patron

I don't believe there is a clean and slick method of hiding or even installing lamp storage boxes on a short and already packed to the rafters truck. First thing you can try is remove the utility boxes which cable companies and the like seem to love on these trucks. I get it it is for storage but those utility boxes are useless in the sign business in my opinion.

• Board Patron

i'd cut off the drivers side boxes and make it all lamp and ballast boxes

63 foot Elliott v60

50 foot 8 ton crane/auger

Skid steer with forks and dirt bucket

www.signworksinc.com

www.wehangsigns.com

Signworks Inc.
Toronto, Canada
416-653-7227
1-877-912-7446

• 2 weeks later...
  • !llumenati

This is a utility truck, designed for one purpose only..... Not the sign industry

The cabinet body is a short 7 ft one piece unit. You can not cut anything off or out. It is what it is. They make 10 ft bodies on longer wheel bases.

Options are....take a 10 ft cardboard lamp box and lay it horizontal flat on top of the ladder rack as high as you can The Box will extend over the cab roof.

The rotation boom must clear the box. If that works, then you can start Build an Aluminum box with lift up doors complete access to the top. Doors on the rear of the box to access all lamps. Lamps brake and you need to get them out. Look at my Gallery for the box. The correct box will carry every size lamp. You can install this on either side of the truck, your choice. Everything has to be custom made to work.

Ladders.....Unless you carry a 24 ft or bigger extension ladder, get "little Giants". A 7 ft closed hight will get you 28 ft.

You need to make this truck carry everything in one trip. Otherwise you will be losing money.

• Like 1

The length of the box is actually 8' long and this truck has worked very well for me in the "sign industry". My plan is to build a 2'x 8' box to carry up to 96" lamps. I was just looking for pictures for some ideas.

• !llumenati

What about the 108, 117 and 120's. You dont got them, you are returning. F96 you get get from any Home Depot or Lowes which in part of the country is every 10 miles down the street. Make a aluminum box ( that can be removed when needed) for the longer lamps and put it in the bed, your 6ft'r can be strapped to the side of the bed on the boom side along with the 8ft but 6 foot is for interior window graphics or for short peeps like me to reach the top strap.

Definately get some little giants. I,m not allowed on them as it cost me 2 screws in my ankle but still love them.

You want a good service truck listen to Paul. He knows all about service and is set up for it. Oh did I mention Listen to Paul ??

GOOD things happen for a reason......

• 2 weeks later...

That is a tough problem to solve . You only have a 9'service body so the length will be limited. I have a pretty good library of boxes we have supplied to sign / lighting customers and I would be happy to share them with you. Unfortunately I am having trouble figuring out how to post photos on this board. You can contact me and I will e mail them to you. johna@mobilelifts.com

Howdy, you mentioned you might like some pix or ideas. I don't think this box would work on your truck, but it might give you some ideas that you could modify somehow.

I built this box some years ago, and it works out pretty well for me. I can store a dozen of each size lamp from 96" down to 12". Each side of the lamp storage area steps up or down in relation to the lamps sizes stored on the opposite side. Each side has a 4 ft. long slide out drawer for smaller stuff. The top of the box is built over a 3/4" plywood sheet, so I can stand on it without bending the metal. The frame is made of 1" steel square tube, so it's pretty stout. Just like building a sign!!

If you can use any of this for ideas, good luck with your project.

post-4841-0-52587600-1451353001.jpg

post-4841-0-52587600-1451353001.jpg

post-4841-0-50445900-1451353083.jpg

post-4841-0-19359100-1451353099.jpg

post-4841-0-57664800-1451353062.jpg

• Like 4

• Board Patron

I would like to put drawers in a couple of my underbody boxes. Where is the best place to buy slides?

Installation & Maintenance Services

Brian Phillips | expresssignandneon@sbcglobal.net | P. 812-882-3278

Express Sign & Neon | 119 S. 15th Street - Vincennes - IN 47591

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

• !llumenati

Mooreindhardware.com Everything you need to build it yourself. Look at everything they have, lots of good stuff. Fast and great pricing

• Like 1

• Board Patron

Howdy, you mentioned you might like some pix or ideas. I don't think this box would work on your truck, but it might give you some ideas that you could modify somehow.

I built this box some years ago, and it works out pretty well for me. I can store a dozen of each size lamp from 96" down to 12". Each side of the lamp storage area steps up or down in relation to the lamps sizes stored on the opposite side. Each side has a 4 ft. long slide out drawer for smaller stuff. The top of the box is built over a 3/4" plywood sheet, so I can stand on it without bending the metal. The frame is made of 1" steel square tube, so it's pretty stout. Just like building a sign!!

If you can use any of this for ideas, good luck with your project.

attachicon.gifPC280009.JPG

attachicon.gifPC280009.JPG

attachicon.gifPC280012.JPG

attachicon.gifPC280013.JPG

That's an awesome storage!!! Great job!

• 10 months later...

Good Discussion...

I'm curious if any of you could recommend a vendor for lamp boxes.  I have a truck with the space to put the boxes, but do not have a vendor for the boxes.  We've looked at Weatherguard, but they are limited and overall the boxes are too short.

Suggestions?

I am attaching spec sheets from Altec.  The long box looks pretty good, but the floor mount box is limited.  They configured it for 42", 64", and 96".  I'd like to find something similar configured for 48", 72", and 96".

I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Bed Box 970393416-B.pdf

LS63 Lamp Bin Box 970476783-C.pdf

• Kgirl pinned this topic
  • 7 months later...

I do not do 8ft beds for nothing. All trucks have 10ft or longer beds.  I made a 20"x20"x122" diamond tread box with aluminum internal that 2 men handling materials can stand on.  I can fit 1 case of 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10ft florescent & have room for a few MH / corn lights and 600+ led

joes Oyster bar channel letters.jpg

10x20 wooden sign.jpg