ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

GVW & Crane trucks

Looking for input and I need to vent:

On the brink of buying a new Elliot L60 on a Peterbilt and was just informed that the weight @ 1/3rd tank of gas and no driver is at 24,8000 Lbs. so it can be rated as non-CDL (25,999 lbs).

We currently have one of our fleet cranes with a similar setup and our drivers get popped for being overweight all the time at weigh stations. With this in mind, we opted to have this new one classified as CDL required vehicle. We are now told that the truck is only rated for 26,0000 lbs.

Why do they design trucks that cannot have a full tank of gas, a crew, a welder / generator set up and product loaded without being overweight? Am I missing something? I get that the manufacturers think everyone wants to be under for non-CDL drivers, but who puts an empty truck in the field?

• Board Patron

you are not missing anything, its just how they sell more. They try and skirt the issue because companies do not want to have to have cdl drivers and all the extra expense with that so they try and pull the wool over our eyes and do not have any real word experience with these trucks. As you said once you put the welder, some tanks. your two guys, all the tools we use everyday, hardware you will be overweight not to mention if you want to carry a sign on it or even pull a trailer, that truck needs to be on a 33k chassis.

P.S in reference to this, what happens when you are overweight? do they give you a fine and you drive away or do they make you offload until you are underweight and write a ticket?

"We currently have one of our fleet cranes with a similar setup and our drivers get popped for being overweight all the time at weigh stations. "

Edited by Signsfast

They gave us a fine and we drove away. We have been hit three times in that crane and the next one is a threat of a 10K fine and banning the vehicle. We wound up taking off some of the tool boxes and emptying the remaining of all tools / service components etc. to get it to the correct weight. Make s a great apple picker truck now.

• Board Patron

Getting a CDL isn't that hard. Plus it makes your employees accountable on the personal driving as well. I'll never buy a non CDL truck again.

• Like 1

• !llumenati

You need to do the math and a lot of homework. Add everything up and get the total weight, then add another 5,000 lbs. to it.

Then start looking at truck chassis that can carry the total weight and maybe a trailer too.

Think about who is and who will be driving your trucks. An automatic is more money now, but not in the long run.

Its easier to get drivers to drive automatics and its a pleasure by the end of the day.

Buying the right truck that has the correct engine and transmission power is the best investment you can make. Don't kill the truck. Spend now and save a lot later.

Dont forget about Brakes, Tires, Springs and mechanical repairs will cost more then buying the bigger better truck now

Non CDL Trucks are basically service trucks.

My 2001 works and still drives like brand new truck with a few scatches

• Like 1

Hi there

I have sold many new cranes for manufacturer of old. I was told that manufacturers often bought the chea=est truck they coulod find to keep the selling price to the conumers attractive. Meaning by ordering a truck with a heavier GVW meant [paying more for the heavier springs and etc.

Take my advice, always over spec your truck. We figured there would be about a ton of extras added to the truck in the way of tools, ladders , ballasts, with out adding the sign to be installed.

A truck pushing its max or over GVW (gross vehicle weight) creates a lot of premature wear and breakdowns, always try for the heavier truck.

The company I assist here in Canada (i'm retired now) has an L60 on a 26,000 GVW truck has these constant problems, excessive tire wear (cupping especially onn the rear) , spring breakage, and the rear wheel bearings and seals.

I get around our over weight laws here by registering the truck as a greateer GVW, have been fined or caught yet,

The other L60 is a 33,000 GVW truck with no problems as of yet, a lot nice truck to drive, none of that top heavy feeling.

On the same kind of topic, the engines I believe do not have enough HP for hauling a trailer, for with an Elliott with mininum deck space a trailer is always required.

In short stick your neck out and order a truck with heavier suspension and HP, you'll thank me in time.

Dave

I have experienced this also because my company is a supplier of truck mounted aerial work platforms. I do all that I can to make sure that the customer is clear on how much the truck will weigh upon completion ( net weight ) and how much is left over for tools, materials and workers . ( gross weight ) We and the owner of the truck also have to be careful of the loads we put on front and rear axles because they have maximum load ratings also. It is unfortunate that the end user was not told up front what his trucks carting capacity is BEFORE the truck is completed and delivered. In general we can and I am sure most other installers will be able to give you approximate weights of the truck before the job is started.

UPDATE -

Through great efforts, Elliot & Peterbilt were able to work together and get the truck re-classified @ 30,000lbs, which is exactly what we requested. Hats off to David Phillips and his team at Elliot for coming through and being able to deliver on the rig we wanted.

I appreciate all the thoughtful responses and input from everyone, your opinions and diverse insight are valued.

Have a great Christmas, or whatever you may be celebrating.

• Like 1