ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Sign Companies Expect Boom in Business of Gender-Neutral Bathroom Signs

Sign Companies Expect Boom in Business of Gender-Neutral Bathroom Signs

post-3-0-89738500-1463718928.gif

http://www.kfqd.com/syndicated-article/?id=166210

(NEW YORK) — Gender neutral bathroom signs are slowly growing in popularity, and signage designers and architects expect a boom in the business of making them.

“I fully expect to see a significant number of orders for such signs in the future,” said Ken Ethridge, business development manager with ASI Signage Innovations, which describes itself as the largest architectural signage company in the U.S.

In her 15 years with ASI Signage Innovations, Lauren Corrigan, operations manager in New York City, never sold any transgender bathroom signs. But this year, the firm’s educational clients have spent about $1,000 for signs, Corrigan said. And recently, a large local college recently requested 152 of the signs that cost about $8,000, she said. Ethridge adds that the company typically works on larger projects that take a while for designers to assemble and put into production.

Restrooms can be marked as “unisex”, as commonly done in the past with the title “Restroom” and pictures of both a man and a woman, Ethridge said. But with the Justice Department’s feud with the state of North Carolina over a controversial law related to this issue, businesses say it’s an increasingly hot topic.

“It’s a free-for-all now — until there’s some kind of consensus on how to express this contentious issue,” he said.

He said anyone can go to Home Depot or Lowe’s today and buy a mass-produced sign saying ‘Restroom,’ ‘Men’ or ‘Women.’

“You won’t find one that says, ‘Transgender Restroom’ — yet,” he said.

When the Hilton Chicago hosted Caitlyn Jenner for her first public keynote speech following her acceptance of the Arthur Ashe Courage award last July, the hotel also invested in new signs. The hotel upgraded public restrooms to “all gender restrooms” prior to the keynote luncheon.

Erik Kocher, the owner and principal at Hastings+Chivetta, a boutique architecture firm in St. Louis that focuses on colleges and universities, said higher education schools seem to be at the forefront of the bathroom sign issue.

“As a result we’ve been doing these kinds of facilities for quite some time,” Kocher said.

His clients are still willing to spend the extra cost for additional single bathrooms instead of multiple stalls in one bathroom. One university in the Midwest recently asked him for 18 single-user restrooms for a three-story building.

Most U.S. states adopt building codes created by the International Codes Council, which will require individual-user public toilets to be gender neutral in 2018, Bloomberg reported, but it’s not clear if the council will address the multiple-user question for its next rules for 2021.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

You count me out, it'll be a cold day in hell when I produce a Transgender Bathroom sign, or any sign based on how people think what gender they are in that minute in time

• Like 1

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

Depending on how you look at it, our society has advanced to either a hilarious joke or a pathetic drama. I said 'advanced' but I'm not sure that's the right word.

My idea for this issue would be three restrooms in all public places; one for women, one for men, and one for "Other". I also think the cost of this extra outhouse would and should be financed by those who think it's appropriate.

• Board Patron

Erik,

Welcome to our new world of reality reality and correctness...............

For every true to his conscience person like you who won't produce signs like this, there will be multiple others who will. It is and always will be true that a person would rather lose his principles than his job.

Best

"Don't be afraid to see what you see" - President Ronald Reagan

One thing I've never been thank god, and that's PC, nor has this site. That's why it quenches the thirsty.

I'm happy to let the sniveling nerds and nanny's go out and produce this crap I have other area I major in, I had a call the other day and I told them "I don't make those".

Who knows what's to come for business owners especially in CA where their all leaving but now maybe small businesses maybe forced to make 3 restrooms. Where does it end?

To be honest, ADA required signage is a racket...there I said it, yes I'm in the sign business I have made good money from it.

The bottom line, it should be left up to the business if they want to do or not.

BUT there is a big wrecking ball coming.....thank god.

Just my opinion

• Board Patron

I don't think it will be a "Boon" here in TX. Actually if it plays out like the libtards want it to. Everyplace will just have "RESTROOM" on their doors. No need for gender I.D.'s.

I swear, everyday I wake up. Something more asinine is being pushed on us...

• Board Patron

I think we all surrender and pay too much under the guise of "compassion" which is nothing more than someone else's agenda.

Yeah, I'm not going to enable this movement or someone's power grab. I'm sure ISA will have a program or webinar on this soon, look for that.

• Board Patron

I don't even know what to say after reading some of this except...Wow.

Wow.

So you're saying. Letting the opposite sex use the different bathroom shows compassion. For that individual? What about that person showing compassion for the rest. Who use our gender specific restrooms?

Why should 1 persons choice, affect everyone else's? If they want their own bathrooms, fine. Then they should pay to have them installed every where. Honestly, I couldn't care less if a chick decided to use the restroom next to me. It's happened many times at concerts, sporting events, clubs... But for a guy to walk in on my wife. And make her feel uncomfortable. Why should his level of comfort, trump hers?

• Like 1

• Board Patron

For the life of me I don't get why we insist on creating problems for ourselves when there was none in the first place. Whatever happened to the old standard of Men's and Women's restrooms?

I don't recall having a problem in school or any other places. And heck if we keep having this kind of nonsense in our schools, maybe the next step is going to be gender neutral locker rooms for Physical Education. I can just see that scenario now. Shower where you feel gender related................

This is correctness gone way out of control.

Just my opinion.

"Don't be afraid to see what you see" - President Ronald Reagan

• Board Patron

Can't believe friggin Bruce Jenner and the Kardashian circus have America actually talking about this crap. Pretty soon your kids wont know what sex they are until they watch it on a reality show.

One thing I've never been thank god, and that's PC, nor has this site. That's why it quenches the thirsty.

I'm happy to let the sniveling nerds and nanny's go out and produce this crap I have other area I major in, I had a call the other day and I told them "I don't make those".

Who knows what's to come for business owners especially in CA where their all leaving but now maybe small businesses maybe forced to make 3 restrooms. Where does it end?

To be honest, ADA required signage is a racket...there I said it, yes I'm in the sign business I have made good money from it.

The bottom line, it should be left up to the business if they want to do or not.

Just my opinion

In my short stint working for Sharon Toji who is known as "The ADA Sign Lady" I learned why we have government mandated ADA signs. Sharon is legally blind, and I am not that far behind her.

If we went back to the cheap flat restroom signs of Pre ADA days, it would be extremely difficult for any blind or semiblind person to find the correct restroom. As the baby boom generation goes into senior citizenship, with all of the medical problems that ensue with aging. ADA. Knocking ADA signage is definitely WRONG. I see noting wrong with acommidating transgender people. Just where in the hell are they going to go to use the restroom? It is not a new problem, It has always been ignored in the past.

• Board Patron

Just my opinion

In my short stint working for Sharon Toji who is known as "The ADA Sign Lady" I learned why we have government mandated ADA signs. Sharon is legally blind, and I am not that far behind her.

If we went back to the cheap flat restroom signs of Pre ADA days, it would be extremely difficult for any blind or semiblind person to find the correct restroom. As the baby boom generation goes into senior citizenship, with all of the medical problems that ensue with aging. ADA. Knocking ADA signage is definitely WRONG. I see noting wrong with acommidating transgender people. Just where in the hell are they going to go to use the restroom? It is not a new problem, It has always been ignored in the past.

No one is "knocking ADA" signs. And where in the hell have they been peeing for the last 100 years? Man, I've bitten my tongue on many of your posts in the past. But this post of yours, takes the cake. Let a man go pee with your 7 yr old daughter. If you have no problem with that. You're part of the problem, not the solution.

.03% of the population, reportedly considers themselves transgender. Why on Earth would the other 99.7% have to accommodate their bathroom choice. You got a stick in your pants, use the mens room. Remove the stick, use the womens. It's that damn simple.

Just my opinion

No one is "knocking ADA" signs. And where in the hell have they been peeing for the last 100 years? Man, I've bitten my tongue on many of your posts in the past. But this post of yours, takes the cake. Let a man go pee with your 7 yr old daughter. If you have no problem with that. You're part of the problem, not the solution.

.03% of the population, reportedly considers themselves transgender. Why on Earth would the other 99.7% have to accommodate their bathroom choice. You got a stick in your pants, use the mens room. Remove the stick, use the womens. It's that damn simple.

All I can say is, "Ouch" I am not a vitriolic person.

• Like 1

• Board Patron

Just my opinion

All I can say is, "Ouch" I am not a vitriolic person.

For the record, I'm not bitter, or filled with malice. I'm just fed up, watching my tax dollars get burned up by officials. Who combined, have the common sense of a baboon. No offense to baboons. All I can say is, "Wow" I'm not a bewildered person.

There's a lot of emotion behind this. Sociologically and psychologically speaking, much of the emotion is rooted in fear and stringent adherence to societal norms. (Remember, norms are perceptions and are not commandments written in stone. But let us not start into a philosophical debate on the word "normal.") If we rewind back to norms of about 100 years ago, my opinion would most likely be ignored due to me being female. Society changes. Much of what is happening now has always existed, but those who are transgender or gay had to live under the radar, many times having to give up certain rights in order to just survive while heterosexual white America remained entitled. Part of this, too, is much of white middle class America suddenly feels cornered and threatened by any minority, realizing that they are quickly becoming a minority themselves. It's a bit odd when the tables are turned, isn't it? It seems to me our, country is blanketed in a pervasive, blinding fear, and operating in fight or flight mode, thus ignoring rational discourse.

It's important to have a basic understanding of gender identity in terms of science, not based through religious texts and constructs deemed by society.
Step outside of your sandbox for a moment, shake off the sand, and then step into the sandbox of a transgender youth.
If you came across this thread then, what would you think? What would be your reactions? What would you do? What if your child was transgender?

This doesn't mean you have to conform, it means you have to be compassionate. This isn't about "agendas" or being "PC," it's about being human.

Call me a pseudo-Dalai Lama liberal hippie tree-hugging democrat psycho-babbling feminist. I'm ok with that.

Matt,

The government wants a lot, and they always have a their version of a "pretty good reason".

ADA in itself is another ridiculous matter which like all things started out good the like all regulation goes too far , and you can throw in Title 22, 24 all into that. Try to open up a business, build a home, even modify a home here in California and see what you have to pay. If you thought it was hard to find a job here in California because we can all look to the fact that we have the stupidest voters in the country, look at our politicians especially our idiot governor nick named "Moon Beam", that should tell you all you need to know.

America has to be at an all time low, and a big laughingstock of the world right now with all we try to do under the name "Political Correctness". This branches out in so many areas to list but this topic being one or part, and in the end it costs us the citizen, user, business owner, consumer.

ADA signs are great, and their a public service but they don't need to be mandated or forced, business can do that on their own without their hands being forced, if they choose too or not and not have to worry about penalty or being sued by ADA slip/fall lawyers. Just like if they chooses to use more water or use more energy they should do so because they are paying for it it and should not be penalized.

On the transgender sign things.... and if government is going to start forcing the hands of schools and business's, that's just fuckin ridiculous and stupid and politicians who play to that tune should be voted out.

We've survived the last hundred years without the need for a third bathroom or sign I'm sure we can go another without, and again.....I...will never fabricate or install one. My choice

Oh but wait, I might get sued because I'm insensitive or a bigot or it could be a hate crime should someone asked me to make/install one and I refuse. I'm sure some would be satisfied with that too

• Board Patron

There's a lot of emotion behind this. Sociologically and psychologically speaking, much of the emotion is rooted in fear and stringent adherence to societal norms. (Remember, norms are perceptions and are not commandments written in stone. But let us not start into a philosophical debate on the word "normal.") If we rewind back to norms of about 100 years ago, my opinion would most likely be ignored due to me being female. Society changes. Much of what is happening now has always existed, but those who are transgender or gay had to live under the radar, many times having to give up certain rights in order to just survive while heterosexual white America remained entitled. Part of this, too, is much of white middle class America suddenly feels cornered and threatened by any minority, realizing that they are quickly becoming a minority themselves. It's a bit odd when the tables are turned, isn't it? It seems to me our, country is blanketed in a pervasive, blinding fear, and operating in fight or flight mode, thus ignoring rational discourse.

It's important to have a basic understanding of gender identity in terms of science, not based through religious texts and constructs deemed by society.

Step outside of your sandbox for a moment, shake off the sand, and then step into the sandbox of a transgender youth.

If you came across this thread then, what would you think? What would be your reactions? What would you do? What if your child was transgender?

This doesn't mean you have to conform, it means you have to be compassionate. This isn't about "agendas" or being "PC," it's about being human.

Call me a pseudo-Dalai Lama liberal hippie tree-hugging democrat psycho-babbling feminist. I'm ok with that.

No, it's about the numbers. Pure and simple. It has nothing to do with White America. It has to do with the .03% (inflated) number. Telling the other 99.7% what to do. We live in a Republic, not a dictatorship. Which is currently being shoved down our throats. To even attempt to make a business remodel their business to add an extra bathroom, is pure selfishness. If a business wants to do this, fine. But thinking adding a bathroom to any commercial business costs less than 15-20k, is being clueless. What's the ROI on that new "transgender/I identify as another sex" bathroom? At a 10% profit, that .03% will need to spend $150-200K. In each business, to cover the biz owners expense.

Just because someone identifies as something, or someone. May be reality in their head. But not so much in other peoples minds. I don't care if your gay, black, white, or a reptilian serpent person. Be it, do it. But don't expect everyone to bend over backwards to accommodate you. You think you deserve special treatment? Then give that to others.

Wow, did you just pull out the white privilege card?

Let me tell you something as someone who's visual appearance is that of not "white". White privilege or White entitlement does NOT exist here in America today, it's nothing more than a weak excuse, a label by those who can't or have failed to do on their own or use it to "blame" for not having what they think they should have.

What makes this country great is the fact that we're all American, we're all one, I feel sorry for those who look at other American's and labels, or classify people based on their appearance or skin color and group them into "communities" and use words like "Minority".

Minority mean handicap, and when people think that, it cripples them. It's an insult to be labeled a minority because the use of that name mean they need a handicap to get through life and that they need governments help because they are ecapable of doing/making it on their own

As a business owner I've been asked to classify myself as a Minority owned so I could continue business with large retailers , I refused and lost jobs (but got them back later). I'm not going to pull a race card and push myself over someone who could be better than I based on the color of my skin or "status".

In this country we're based and get as far in life on our own individual efforts and actions and NOT by the color of ones skin.....well that's how most American's and business is based on.

• Like 3

• Board Patron

What no one talks about is the restrooms are just the beginning. For argument's sake lets say that the bathroom issue in most instances wouldn't cause a problem......people go into whatever bathroom they choose, use a private stall and do their business, many many countries just have Unisex bathrooms.

But how in the heck are they now demanding equal access to showers? The school district of Illinois was sued by the Department of Education for not providing "equal access" to a transgender female (I think that's the term, born male believes they are a female).

The school built a special bathroom just for this person, and provided a separate locker room changing area....this person sued, because "she" should be able to use the girls restroom, locker room, and showers....just like one of the girls.....

As far as I know from the news report, the person is still biologically male, all body parts intact, no surgery.......

This is just NUTS....pun intended....

How far are we going to go with this nonsense?

• Like 1

What no one talks about is the restrooms are just the beginning. For argument's sake lets say that the bathroom issue in most instances wouldn't cause a problem......people go into whatever bathroom they choose, use a private stall and do their business, many many countries just have Unisex bathrooms.

But how in the heck are they now demanding equal access to showers? The school district of Illinois was sued by the Department of Education for not providing "equal access" to a transgender female (I think that's the term, born male believes they are a female).

The school built a special bathroom just for this person, and provided a separate locker room changing area....this person sued, because "she" should be able to use the girls restroom, locker room, and showers....just like one of the girls.....

As far as I know from the news report, the person is still biologically male, all body parts intact, no surgery.......

This is just NUTS....pun intended....

How far are we going to go with this nonsense?

I will not get into the shower issue as I do not design shower signs. If we do away with urinals and just use stalls, then unisex bathrooms work. It will also work for transgender people. So proprieters can still have only two bathrooms. One unisex etc. and one for men only or women only, the people who do not want anything to do with transgender people. Then all they have to do is remove all urinals and go with all stalls.

Strangers who are trans are no more dangerous than any other stranger, and it turns strangers are a lot less dangerous than we tend to think they are. Especially if you're talking about sexual assault of children. From a 1997 summary of the DoJ stats: "For nearly 90% of the youngest victims of rape, those younger than 12, the offender was someone known to them." (page 20)

I think the signs should just say "BATHROOM." Or perhaps "URINALS" vs "TOILETS."

But this whole kerfluffle isn't about bathrooms, or protecting our children, or where LGBTQ individuals relieve themselves. It's about holding onto power by mobilizing people with fear, anger, and resentment.

I think the transition is going to take a little time and work, but we're going to look back and say "what the hell was the big deal, anyway?" In the long run, we'll end up with more efficient bathrooms that have more privacy all around. Designing public spaces to be universally accessible generally makes them better for everyone -- sidewalk ramps, anyone?