ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Seriously why bother

gunhead.jpg

In the last bunch load of sign permits I've had to pull it makes me wonder with most cities here why bother?

When being a business that falls under a city who tries to play by the rules and putting your sign under the city guidelines of shopping center sign criteria and going through the proper channels to pay your fee's etc you come to find out neighboring business's for their signs did not, and their left with much larger area sign than their supposed to compared to you the business owner who's seeking to get maximum visibility.

One of these examples is I just had to amend a shopping center criteria with the City of La Mesa, CA.

We based a new sign to neighboring signs that took the area out of the criteria that was unreadable and created in the 80's.  When asked about all the other signs ion the center the city was not concerned with illegal signs without permits.  They said I could complain, but..."do you really want to do that to these people".  This is not the first time either, and it happens quite frequently.

So thousands of dollars in non-refundable fee's, more time, and a city hall hearing we got what we needed to pass.  BUT, the ones who did not deal with permitting got off free.  Meanwhile the sign was held us and my client had to go without a sign during the process.

Of course not all would be lucky to breeze by not pulling a permit, but it sure seems like "why bother" sometimes as a business owner to play by the rules.  Majority of the times it means others will benefit by NOT playing by those rules.

• Like 1

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

• Board Patron

It's called going for the "low hanging fruit". The city extracts money out of the ones who play by the rules, and are too incompetent to enforce the rules on the cheaters.....it's the ultimate government hypocrisy...

Unfortunately it's because you live in a state where people have elected and come to accepted total disfunction and anti business attitudes..... California is not exactly known as the most business friendly environment anymore.

I've talked to some retired business people from Cali and it sounded like a great business environment....low taxes, innovative environment in the 1970s......what happened??

• Like 1

• !llumenati

I hear ya, variance meetings, Historic pres meetings all BS.  Did a H&R BLOCK for Montclaire, NJ. Made it through HPC, Then Variance then building then had all approvals from all levels and landlord and when tried to install the F'n Condo committee stopped the install and only allowed a banner, some times all the hoops are not worth it.

GOOD things happen for a reason......

• Board Patron

Exactly the same in Washington State - the ones who play by the rules get the shaft with fees/inspections etc.  There are a few cities that work with us but the majority just want their $$.

I reported an exposed neon sign here in Arlington, Texas that was wildly out of code and the City told me "well, they got a permit so there's nothing we can do about it."  This is in a City where they do a final inspection ... so how on earth did it pass?!?  

How do companies get away with this?  I can't imagine, if I ever had the inclination to try this kind of thing, that I would get by unscathed.  Heck, I just got hit with a red tag because the drain holes were not big enough!  (FYI, they actually were big enough but a metal filing on one of the letters was laying on top of the hole so it looked too small.)

Only those that follow the rules are affected by them.  If you don't follow the rules are then it doesn't matter how out of control they get.

• Board Patron

It's infuriating to see these fly by night people working at night and on the weekends to avoid the "permit police" around here.  You say something to the City/County and they say "well, we can't catch them and if we can't catch them, we can't do anything"  ---  well, if you would get out any night or any weekend, you COULD catch them!!!  Those of us that DO play by the rules, just like anything else, have to PAY for those that don't!   One of the trucks has zero insurance and no business license - doesn't even THINK about permits.  As long as these Cities and Counties don't do anything to them, they are going to continue, and those of us that play by the rules, will continue to do so.  If I were to do it, they would catch me the first time!!