ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Would you increase the price?

I'm just curious.

If you have been going back with a customer, tailoring a sign to their needs (4'x4') for a sign cabinet, and at the the end they asked you to increase the overall length by 2" (48" x 50") and it didn't cost you anything additional in material, you didn't have to request material for the jobs, you already have the materials in stock that might have been sitting for years (Just cutting an extrusion 2" longer)  would you increase the price by 8%, or anything or just execute it? 

Or would you up the price, and let them know because it's "all about the inches"?

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

• Board Patron

im assuming you are using leds or else this would be 48x49. No i would probably not increase the price if this was a once and done sale. not expecting to make a bunch more for other locations.

• Board Patron

yes I would.   If not how do you explain to the customer when a size change is not free.  Keep things simple.

Installation & Maintenance Services

Brian Phillips | expresssignandneon@sbcglobal.net | P. 812-882-3278

Express Sign & Neon | 119 S. 15th Street - Vincennes - IN 47591

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

For me personally I would not. 

If I were a salesperson who would be earning a comm off this I would not, especially when they would more than likely be ordering more form you in the future.

If I were on the other end of the deal, I would think the increase in cost would be petty if the only justification for it was that it was due to a a cost sheet that says "raise the price" when over a certain inch without the need for more labor, or material and would be tempted to shop elsewhere. 

6" to a foot longer I can see justification, but 2"?

Thanks for chiming in, love to hear opinions

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

• Board Patron

I wouldn't but you could argue the other 1/2 of the Acrylic sheet won't be 4 x 4 any more, if that matters.  If that is what it takes to make the sale, you won't feel the additional 2 inches.

• Board Patron

I wouldn't charge anything extra on a one time change like that for such a nominal size difference. But I'd be sure to let them know I wasn't charging.....also mentioning that if the change was larger or another charge occurs again then there would be a charge to cover for the design/layout labor and effort.

You need to cover your costs....also if you give people too many options/do overs....sometimes they take it for granted.

Give some an inch they take a mile as they say!

• 2 weeks later...

As Mad Scientist pointed out, the leftover piece will be less than 48".  I think it depends on your original pricing.  Did you charge for the whole sheet that you had to buy, or did you figure on selling the remaining plastic on another job?  Were you profitable on the sale at the first price, or were you marginal? 

It's funny, you and I would give away something at no charge - it's just being nice, and human, and sociable, and so on.  But if the bank called and wanted their payment, do you think they would accept 8% less, and  just say 'Well, that's okay'? I have yet to see the electric company give me one single kilowatt at no charge.  At the grocery store last week, my bill was $15.03.  I had a ten and a five and some ones, and I asked the checker if she would let me go for the 3 cents.  "I'm sorry, but I can't come up short in my register".

So at the end of the day,  who has all the money?  The banks, the utilities, the big corporations.  Who has to watch their pennies to make sure the bills can be paid at the end of the month?  You and me - the guys who would happily give away something at absolutely no extra charge.   And sometimes at no charge at all.