ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Neon Issues - Need Help

Erik Sine

Hi Guys & Gals.

Posting a video sent from one of our members that need help in defining the issue.  Usually seen and requiring longer burn in, but any idea why it would happen over an extended time?

http://www.thesignsyndicate.com/forums/index.php?/videos/view-28-neon-issues/

Hopefully some of the Neon folks can chime in

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

• !llumenati

what color is it?  if it's a mercury-orange, then Gary is correct.  usually it's moisture--the electrode emitters can absorb a lot, but only so much.  I'm guessing the electrodes are burning very hot on this tube....

Garett

Sincerely,

Garett Churchill

Fluxeon, Inc.

USA

This looks like something I used to do for fun.  I was trying to make a clear argon/mercury tube 'sparkle and zap' just like this -  I took a tiny pinch of some very fine aluminum filings and dropped them in the tube before pumping.  While pumping it looked absolutely crazy.  After pumping, it looked just like this.  Burned really hot for a while, eventually sputtered and burned completely out.  

Based on that little experiment, I would speculate - just like the others above - some sort of contamination.  But my guess would be something with a metallic content - possibly some very fine airborne metal particles?

Good luck with it, and best regards.  Mike

• Board Patron

Agree with Gary on dirty tube.   Could try burning in again but prob will have shorter life span.

Installation & Maintenance Services

Brian Phillips | expresssignandneon@sbcglobal.net | P. 812-882-3278

Express Sign & Neon | 119 S. 15th Street - Vincennes - IN 47591

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw this, snaking is what we call it. As others have said you have some contaminates that the electrodes can't or haven't absorbed. If it doesn't go away than your only option is to replace the electrodes and repump.

• Like 1

• !llumenati

Rather than waste all the man hours to take tube down, return to shop, take the tubes back, install, return to shop.....make new tubes and for it one time and be done with it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/11/2017 at 1:40 PM, Erik Sine said:

Hi Guys & Gals.

Posting a video sent from one of our members that need help in defining the issue.  Usually seen and requiring longer burn in, but any idea why it would happen over an extended time?

http://www.thesignsyndicate.com/forums/index.php?/videos/view-28-neon-issues/

Hopefully some of the Neon folks can chime in

First option, take tube out and attach to 1500/60ma transformer. One lead only, let burn for at least 15 minutes.  Attachment to both leads, burn overnight.  If it is fixed, check the Temp of the tube with your fingers, if it More than warm, it will last for a short time....all Mercury tubes should be cool to the touch, if not then you need a new tube..    30 yrs Neon in the Neon art