ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

OSHA extending crane cert. date again?

Brian

• Board Patron

I read an article stating OSHA was prob going to extend crane cert until November 2018.   Have any of you heard or read that?

Installation & Maintenance Services

Brian Phillips | expresssignandneon@sbcglobal.net | P. 812-882-3278

Express Sign & Neon | 119 S. 15th Street - Vincennes - IN 47591

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

• Board Patron

Again screwing all the honest companies that spent the money and time to get certified.  The untrained sign hacks are laughing as they didnt have to spend a nickle to be legal.    BULL SHIT

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

1 hour ago, Brian said:

Again screwing all the honest companies that spent the money and time to get certified.  The untrained sign hacks are laughing as they didnt have to spend a nickle to be legal.    BULL SHIT

Untrained sign hacks???? Really??? Because I know how the government works and how they delay, delay, delay and then finally come out with a rule that eliminates half of the people that were going to have to get a certification, I'm a hack? Get over yourself... Now when they say I have to, I will but not a minute before then, why give my money to an organization that wants do nothing but fine you for the smallest infraction. But since you're all up on your OSHA rules and all, I trust that you have all of your equipment in place for the  29 CFR 1926.1153 Crystalline Silica standard for Construction?

• Board Patron

KISS MY ASS   how about that?    Yes there are tons of untrained hacks out there.    When good companies pay to follow the rules and then have to compete with HACKS that don't have all the extra costs involved with proper licenses, permits, certifications it pisses me off.   If you want to do biz that way, be my guest.   I guarantee you the majority of guys on here can't stand unlicensed/certified HACKS.

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

Oh I can assure you that I have more flippin licenses, Insurance, bonds, certifications than you can shake a stick at... but I will not play the game of pay to play... unless absolutely required to. 

But you never answered my question... do you have all of your equipment ready for the  29 CFR 1926.1153 Crystalline Silica standard for Construction?

• Board Patron

Twitt, since I do not know what that is, I will assume no.   Do you still need a tissue?

Edited by Brian

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

I see your IQ does not allow you to have an intelligent conversation without cursing and name calling.... so have a nice day.

P.S. There are only a few people in my life that I will allow to dishonor my name... and you sir are not one of them.

• Like 1

• Board Patron

Brian, I very calmly take offense at the broad brush of "HACKS" myself.   I for one am ECSTATIC they have pushed the deadline out again!!  I hope they move it again - actually that it goes away!!  Certification doesn't make you a good or bad crane operator.  I have men tell me all of the time that I am the best they have ever seen!  I actually have folks that once they see me operate my crane, they won't call anybody else.  That comes from 30 years of EXPERIENCE - not a certification.   A certification doesn't make you a good crane operator.  Patience and experience do.  Certified crane operators can have an accident just as easily as a non certified one.  Not sure if you remember, but since 2008 it has been TOUGH on small businesses like mine (all size businesses actually) - barely held on, but thank God we are still here - because of that 30 years and our reputation - so thousands of dollars to spend on yet ANOTHER certification at this point was not something I could afford to do.  But I can ASSURE you I/we are not "HACKS"!  If not for the costs of insurances, licenses, permits, keeping up with certifications and regulations and taxes we could possibly make some money.  If and when they come up with a date certain, I will bite the bullet and go take a test, but until then, I will continue with what has worked for me for 30 years.  Skill and experience.  Please don't fuss at me!  LOL    :beerchug:   Have a great hump day!

• Like 1

• Board Patron

That is exactly what I was stating.   Those that follow the rules are saddled with extra fees and cost, while those that don't make more money and bid jobs cheaper as they have much less overhead.   Never once did I say a cert. made you a better crane operator.   

Those HACKS will not even get a cert. when it does come into effect.   I think I must have worded my initial statement wrong.

We couldn't wait until the last minute to see if it actually was going to take affect, and then scramble to get certified before getting fined.   That was my bitch.   So not fussing at you Angie!

• Like 1

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

• Board Patron

I will say though that we did learn quite at bit in the classroom portion not so much in the actual operation.

• Like 1

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

• Board Patron

Although we don't have to worry about the crane cert issue because we are renting cranes when needed, what TDewitt mentioned about the crystalline silica OSHA standard is definitely something everyone should look at.  It actually took effect on the 23rd of September.  I think this has a much bigger long term effect on our business than the crane regs.  We already have GC's asking for our updated safety plans that include the silica dust procedures lol.

• Like 1

• Board Patron
32 minutes ago, Brian said:

That is exactly what I was stating.   Those that follow the rules are saddled with extra fees and cost, while those that don't make more money and bid jobs cheaper as they have much less overhead.   Never once did I say a cert. made you a better crane operator.   

Those HACKS will not even get a cert. when it does come into effect.   I think I must have worded my initial statement wrong.

We couldn't wait until the last minute to see if it actually was going to take affect, and then scramble to get certified before getting fined.   That was my bitch.   So not fussing at you Angie!

LOL - I'm glad cause I don't like being fussed at.  Believe me, I bitch about the folks that don't pull permits and licenses around here.  We have 2 right now that are working on the weekends and in the wee hours of the morning - one with a pull behind lift - no names anywhere - to keep from pulling business licenses and permits.  I keep thinking the City will do what they would to me if I were doing it and fine them, but nothing is ever done to them because the folks with the City won't get out on the weekends and or at night to catch them to even find out who they are.   That is the kind of work we fight against every day too, so  I completely understood what you meant, just felt like it was kind of a broad statement that seemed like you thought that everybody that had not spent the money to do the crane certification were "HACKS".  That was the only thing I took offense to.  Not the fact that you were calling the true hacks, hacks because I couldn't agree with you more!  :thumbs:   Just wanted to tighten the stroke of the brush a little, that's all. 

• Board Patron
16 minutes ago, bowtievega said:

Although we don't have to worry about the crane cert issue because we are renting cranes when needed, what TDewitt mentioned about the crystalline silica OSHA standard is definitely something everyone should look at.  It actually took effect on the 23rd of September.  I think this has a much bigger long term effect on our business than the crane regs.  We already have GC's asking for our updated safety plans that include the silica dust procedures lol.

Even though you rent cranes, if they are over the weight limit that doesn't have to worry about certification, wouldn't you still have to have your operator(s) certified???  Just curious.  If OSHA shows up on your job site, he/she is going to be checking operator certification regardless of who owns the crane, correct??

• Board Patron

We do crane lifts for a lot of HVAC units and trusses, and have been asked to see our certification card by several plant managers.

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

• Board Patron
2 minutes ago, Brian said:

We do crane lifts for a lot of HVAC units and trusses, and have been asked to see our certification card by several plant managers.

I have been asked once and when I tell them that it isn't mandatory yet they are good and we go on with the work.  They say as long as OSHA can't fine them for not making me have it they are good.  But that's the only time I have been asked about it.

• Board Patron

Most of the ones that have ask us, have company regulations requiring a certified operator on company property.

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

• Board Patron
On 9/27/2017 at 10:54 AM, Sign Lady said:

LOL - I'm glad cause I don't like being fussed at.  Believe me, I bitch about the folks that don't pull permits and licenses around here.  We have 2 right now that are working on the weekends and in the wee hours of the morning - one with a pull behind lift - no names anywhere - to keep from pulling business licenses and permits.  I keep thinking the City will do what they would to me if I were doing it and fine them, but nothing is ever done to them because the folks with the City won't get out on the weekends and or at night to catch them to even find out who they are.   That is the kind of work we fight against every day too, so  I completely understood what you meant, just felt like it was kind of a broad statement that seemed like you thought that everybody that had not spent the money to do the crane certification were "HACKS".  That was the only thing I took offense to.  Not the fact that you were calling the true hacks, hacks because I couldn't agree with you more!  :thumbs:   Just wanted to tighten the stroke of the brush a little, that's all. 

My customer lost a channel letter job to a company that did not pull any permits.  The sign that went up was on a building directly adjacent to city hall where the inspectors showed up to work.  My guy complained and they did nothing.  Government at its finest...SMH