ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

Flex Face install in 30° temps

What is the minimum temp that you will install flex faces in? Customer want's it done ASAP and has called the manufacturer of the flex, they told him there is no minimum temp that it can be installed in!! We did one in 28° temps that we had to go back and replace because it stretched tight until it warmed up and then loosened, once the wind had it's way with it, it was junk.

• Board Patron

Good questions... cant wait to see what the more experienced members have to say.  We have not had luck unless it was >50 degrees outside.

5 hours ago, Signsfast said:

if you cant get the mandrels in its too cold.  We have done plenty in the 30's it sucks but never had any problems down the road 

Even when it's cut vinyl applied to the face? I could see that when it's a printed flex face but the two substrates are totally different animals.

3M's information says ambient temperature and face material should be at least 45 degrees.   Also says if it is less than 60 degrees you will probably have to re-stretch when temperature climbs above 60.  I've found it extremely hard to get wedge clamps on when it's cold, especially when it is a vinyl face.  It usually takes twice as long to puts the clamps on and stretch it in cold weather, and you probably didn't bid it for the extra time.  I've got 5 hi-rise flex faces to install right now and my customers are agravating the crap out of me, but I refuse to do it this time of the year.

• Board Patron

Personally I'd give them your recommendation against doing it in those temps.

If they want to proceed they should provide to you in writing that you will not be responsible if it loosens with warm temps. You're going to have to provide photos to get paid....if it is stretched well when done it will show in the photos. They can't come back later and say it was installed sloppy to begin with.

If it needs re-stretched then charge for it.

I mean you can only give the customer your expert opinion. You can't be responsible for what happens when they ignore it.

• Like 1

• Board Patron
On 2/7/2018 at 8:43 AM, tdewitt said:

Even when it's cut vinyl applied to the face? I could see that when it's a printed flex face but the two substrates are totally different animals.

I think it has been reverse cut vinyl applied to flex face. Its miserable dont get me wrong but its possible.  if the mfg says otherwise always give your customer their recommendation and get your terms in writing to cover your ass

• Board Patron

If you install below 45/50 degrees you are going to have trouble down the road when it warms up.  I actually much prefer even warmer.  I don't typically like to take flex face installs in the winter for that exact reason.  Some customers don't want to listen to your expert opinion, they want their sign done right now.  I don't want to be responsible for something I warned them should not be done in the first place.  As soon as it warms up and that face warms up, it is going to relax every time. Nothing you can do to stop it.  You cannot pull it tight enough to prevent it - especially if the material is 28 degrees or less.  If the customer insists, do like others have said and CYA by having something in writing that you warned against doing it and are not responsible when it happens.